DM Leads: Real Numbers

Rdg530

Expert
I've read a lot of threads about DM leads on here. The story goes like this: Order 20 DM's leads. Get appointments with about 10 of these. Write about 3-4 cases from 10 appointments. Average about $1,400 - $2,000 AP from these sales.
That's a monthly premium of $40-60 per case.

Well at this point, I've worked 200 DM leads and here are my actual numbers

200 leads = 16 life insurance cases sold.
Average premium about $30/mo or $360 AP.

My experience has been:

Majority fall into one of these categories:
-Can't reach by calling or DK'ing -ever
-Can't afford to do "nuffin right now"
-Thought it was free-not interested in paying- ie. they're broke.
-Already taken care of.
-Crazy cat lady whose house stinks like cat piss and she doesn't have a checking account.
-Some have many weeks of consideration and phone calls -finally pull the trigger on $19/mo premium - then gets declined.
-Sold by someone else (how they got my lead info, I still don't know).
-Constant game playing of "later, later, not now, but later" aka "kick the can" -Doesn't speak English
-Hardcore tweeker/drug addict.

Just wanted to share this with anybody thinking about getting into the game. I've spent thousands on leads and may have broken even or eeked out a small profit.

Now bring on the comments about how I suck at selling, yada, yada...
I may not be the best at life insurance sales, but I'm not the worst either.

Every single lead I have made multiple attempts to book appointments and/or close sales. I've driven countless miles and been in some "homes" that, in all honestly, should be condemned. Point is, I've worked these leads diligently and thoroughly.

Finally, I'm not a newby. I've been selling life insurance in some capacity for 8 years. So I've been around a bit, and I'm not brand-new at this. I'm personable, professional, well-spoken, and prepared.

So good luck to anyone who is considering getting into FE. I just wanted to share this so you have one more piece of information to take into consideration. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine. Either way, good luck.

I've read a lot of threads about DM leads on here. The story goes like this: Order 20 DM's leads. Get appointments with about 10 of these. Write about 3-4 cases from 10 appointments. Average about $1,400 - $2,000 AP from these sales.

My experience has been:

-Already taken care of.
-Crazy cat lady whose house stinks like cat piss and she doesn't have a checking account.
-Some have many weeks of consideration and phone calls -finally pull the trigger on $19/mo premium - then gets declined.
-Constant game playing of "later, later, not now, but later" aka "kick the can" -Doesn't speak English

Just wanted to share this with anybody thinking about getting into the game. I've spent thousands on leads and may have broken even or eeked out a small profit.

Every single lead I have made multiple attempts to book appointments and/or close sales. I've driven countless miles and been in some "homes" that, in all honestly, should be condemned. Point is, I've worked these leads diligently and thoroughly.

Finally, I'm not a newby. I've been selling life insurance in some capacity for 8 years. So I've been around a bit, and I'm not brand-new at this. I'm personable, professional, well-spoken, and prepared.

So good luck to anyone who is considering getting into FE. I just wanted to share this so you have one more piece of information to take into consideration. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine. Either way, good luck.

I am not going to tell you that you don't know how to sale, but there are some factors missing.

What state are you working? Are you working in the city or out in the country.

How old are the leads you are getting? Are they the FREE $255 benefit leads?

Are you asking ANY yes or no questions during the process? (Examples...does that sound good to you? Would that be ok? Is now a good time? blah blah)

Your numbers are extremely low, which you know...so there has to be something wrong somewhere....

Just trying to help...not attacking.

Out of curiosity - what have you been doing for marketing the last 8 years?

Anything and everything I can do to keep the lights on....

Cold calling, cold walking, networking events, building COI's, internet marketing/Social Media, seminars, buying leads, working older agents book of business, newsletters, postcards, brochures...

My experience has been:

-Already taken care of.

Have you gotten with a real FE IMO that could help you with your transition to FE?

My experience has been:

-Can't reach by calling or DK'ing -ever ever talk to their neighbors? Ask them when the best time to find them home?
-Can't afford to do "nuffin right now" no one can afford anything until they have been shown the value, if you got a lot of these then you simply aren't bringing value. How much are you warming up with families in homes? Remember you are not an order taker, you do have to sell
-Thought it was free-not interested in paying- ie. they're broke. Do you go over their budget?
-Already taken care of. People who buy insurance buy more. Remember they filled the card out for a reason
-Crazy cat lady whose house stinks like cat piss and she doesn't have a checking account. You have me rolling, welcome to final expense. Maybe help her open an account? or get a company that accepts other methods of payment?
-Some have many weeks of consideration and phone calls -finally pull the trigger on $19/mo premium - then gets declined. Very strong inability on your part to ask the right knockout questions
-Sold by someone else (how they got my lead info, I still don't know). there are literally lead companies everywhere all doing the same thing.
-Constant game playing of "later, later, not now, but later" aka "kick the can" -Doesn't speak English You aren't bring value
-Hardcore tweeker/drug addict. how many of those 200 leads were tweakers.....come on now.

see bolded above.

But, FE is not for everyone, and it sounds like it isn't right for you if you don't like cat-piss ladies because that is were the real money is at.

Honestly, it seems like you weren't trained very well or you had no idea what industry you were getting into.

Anything and everything I can do to keep the lights on....

Cold calling, cold walking, networking events, building COI's, internet marketing/Social Media, seminars, buying leads, working older agents book of business, newsletters, postcards, brochures...

I'm posting this as general information.

I received my first leads from EFES roughly 11 weeks ago. I placed a standing order for 15-20 leads per week, every week. I pay $25/lead and I was willing to pay whatever fixed cost was necessary to get me 15 leads per week.

Here are the number of leads I have received each week.

1. 11
2. 11
3. 2
4. 0
5. 11
6. 6
7. 12
8. 3
9. 0
10. 4
11. 0

Not once have received 15 leads in a week. I'm not bashing EFES here, they are a good company and have great people. I have nothing negative to say about anyone at EFES. I'm only posting this to let people who are considering EFES for their lead source know that it is not as easy as just saying "I want 15 leads every week."
Because these leads are subsidized by your production on the back end, EFES has certain requirements for you to meet in order for them to sell you leads.
I am considering using a mailing house to send out 1,000 pieces at a time. That way, I don't have anyone deciding how many leads I do, and don't get each week. I just want 15 leads per week. That's all.

I found that post from you above. If you are getting 3-4 leads in per week, that could be your problem. Seems you've been struggling for a while now without making a change.

Insanity "doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results"

Something you are doing is wrong.

Be careful not to confuse efforts with results, they're not the same thing. "No matter how good you are, you're gonna lose a third. No matter how bad you are, you're gonna win a third. It's what you do with that other third that counts." - Tommy Lasorda Good luck.l

Last edited:
What state are you working? Are you working in the city or out in the country.
Far northern California

How old are the leads you are getting? Are they the FREE $255 benefit leads?
Fresh leads. Yes, $255 benefit.

Are you asking ANY yes or no questions during the process?
1. Most people sends me these cards for one of three reasons... To determine need/motivation.
2. (After running a quote from most of the majors) If I could offer you $5,000 of coverage, for only $XX/mo, would that be a good value to you and your family?
3. Do you have a checking account?

I'm posting this as general information.

I received my first leads from EFES roughly 11 weeks ago. I placed a standing order for 15-20 leads per week, every week. I pay $25/lead and I was willing to pay whatever fixed cost was necessary to get me 15 leads per week.

Here are the number of leads I have received each week.

1. 11
2. 11
3. 2
4. 0
5. 11
6. 6
7. 12
8. 3
9. 0
10. 4
11. 0

Not once have received 15 leads in a week. I'm not bashing EFES here, they are a good company and have great people. I have nothing negative to say about anyone at EFES. I'm only posting this to let people who are considering EFES for their lead source know that it is not as easy as just saying "I want 15 leads every week."
Because these leads are subsidized by your production on the back end, EFES has certain requirements for you to meet in order for them to sell you leads.
I am considering using a mailing house to send out 1,000 pieces at a time. That way, I don't have anyone deciding how many leads I do, and don't get each week. I just want 15 leads per week. That's all.

I found that post from you above. If you are getting 3-4 leads in per week, that could be your problem. Seems you've been struggling for a while now without making a change.

Insanity "doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results"

Something you are doing is wrong.

damn, before i transitioned into more managerial side a while back I was getting minimum 20 a week. Everyone was.

edit: I know there is much more to leads than that, I'm not sure EFES regions nor agent numbers.

Latest posts

Back