Every Body Wants To Be "Remote"

I see no point in working harder just for the sake of working harder. However, if your plan isn't moving you towards your goals fast enough and one that takes you out of your comfort zone will, maybe you need to learn how to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

I'm a baby-boomer and I had a several years in a row where I've sold over 200 policies without one face-to-face meeting. These were mostly individual health sales.

My son has been in the business since 2008 and aside from selling close family members he's never sold F2F.

I broke my streak a few years ago because I choose to sell Medicare Advantage and Supps F2F. I sell this way partly because I don't want to lose the ability to sell in person. (It is a different but overlapping skillset vs. selling by phone.)

And partly because I wanted some variety. Plus I find the time in the car enjoying my favorite podcasts relaxing. So I have a couple of days each month where I see two to four clients F2F.

A lot of people prefer to buy by phone. If we independents don't offer that option, we'll lose out. Not everyone wants to drive to an agent's office or welcome an agent into their home.

I'm noticing that even some of my seniors would rather buy online with my assistance instead of having me come to their homes. People are busy.

I think discipline is the key. Some agents try to work from home but TV, Facebook, this forum etc. becomes too much of a temptation.

Many people find it a lot easier to put the time in when they door knock. I even heard of one guy who put on a suit every day to work on the phone from home.

The bottom line is that an agent can be successful working from home or F2F (or a combination) if he or she has a good plan and the discipline to work the requisite hours with the requisite intensity.

I think the discipline and the plan is more important then whether one needs to replace their headsets faster than their shoes or vice versa.

I sold term by phone for years. Made good money, but got tired of being in the office all day. I now sell final expense F2F at least 2 days a week. Love getting out of the office and enjoy working the rural communities in my area.

I see no point in working harder just for the sake of working harder. However, if your plan isn't moving you towards your goals fast enough and one that takes you out of your comfort zone will, maybe you need to learn how to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

I'm a baby-boomer and I had a several years in a row where I've sold over 200 policies without one face-to-face meeting. These were mostly individual health sales.

My son has been in the business since 2008 and aside from selling close family members he's never sold F2F.

I broke my streak a few years ago because I choose to sell Medicare Advantage and Supps F2F. I sell this way partly because I don't want to lose the ability to sell in person. (It is a different but overlapping skillset vs. selling by phone.)

And partly because I wanted some variety. Plus I find the time in the car enjoying my favorite podcasts relaxing. So I have a couple of days each month where I see two to four clients F2F.

A lot of people prefer to buy by phone. If we independents don't offer that option, we'll lose out. Not everyone wants to drive to an agent's office or welcome an agent into their home.

I'm noticing that even some of my seniors would rather buy online with my assistance instead of having me come to their homes. People are busy.

I think discipline is the key. Some agents try to work from home but TV, Facebook, this forum etc. becomes too much of a temptation.

Many people find it a lot easier to put the time in when they door knock. I even heard of one guy who put on a suit every day to work on the phone from home.

The bottom line is that an agent can be successful working from home or F2F (or a combination) if he or she has a good plan and the discipline to work the requisite hours with the requisite intensity.

I think the discipline and the plan is more important then whether one needs to replace their headsets faster than their shoes or vice versa.

Your leads link is compromised by the alien demons..... see pic attached :D

9666023-248624367_3-s4-v1.png

Attachments

• badsalesleads.jpg
    badsalesleads.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 44
Your leads link is compromised by the alien demons..... see pic attached :D

Thanks for the heads up. I almost forgot that the site is on my signature. I've abandoned that site and the business it supported. The only reason I haven't taken the link off my signature is the forum only allows two links now. If it take it off I won't be able to replace it without bumping one of the other two and I might start working that business again later this year.

Companies would like nothing better than to rid themselves of having to pay us commissions. They've had the technology to do it since Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. So why haven't they?:err:

p.s.- Maybe people want to be remote because it's much easier than finding one?:idea:

Saw a new article just this week detailing a study by LIMRA concerning just this; the trend of things moving online/phone/non F2F. The stats were dissected many ways age/sex/term v.perm, etc. The one thing it did not do is examine the data based on income. I think if you examined this trend in those earning less than 50-60k/yr, you would get much different results.

Had a meeting with an FE carrier this week who said they are exploring more direct sales/inside sales options, but they were still fully accepting of the fact that the FE agent isn't going away anytime soon due to demographic we deal with.

Technology does not automatically create initiative nor motivation.

Phone work is tough. What you can do in the field in 2-3 days a week, you will have to work Mon-Fri 9-5 hours. The key to success on the phones is beating the hell out of them. Me personally, I find I like F2F much better. I enjoy getting to know the client and I find getting referrals to be much easier. But, as was said earlier... some folks have some serious mad skills on the phone, and would trip over themselves F2F and vice versa.

I currently sell by phone as part of a call center. The thing that bothers me is how much money is left on the table.

At least once a day I hear about "I want to include my grand kid on this policy." Only the policy doesn't have that rider. It annoys the hell out of me that my company is "captive".

Of course that same lead is being called by our MOO and Mass Mutual "captive" agents as well.

Or "Just give me a quote for 25K." Which is fine but your 83 years old.

I'm not so sure if the phone or the internet is the best way to sell someone insurance because they frankly are not educated in insurance. They simply don't realize that COPD may be modified with Company A but standard with Company B.

While a lot of agents are able to do phone sales that do serve a majority of companies I can see the day where the insurance company will only do phone sales if your captive. Because it benefits them more to keep the customer in the dark.

I don't think F2F sales will disappear anytime soon and honestly feel that they are a better option in a lot of cases. For example, I'm surprised at how many agents working for us don't know that other products we offer (and why should they?).

Plus the internet does not really educate people. I'm amazed at how many times a day I have to explain the difference between term and whole life for example.

I am trying to go F2F on my own to supplement my income. Plus as someone said before...phone sales is constantly hitting that person (our call center may make up to 6 different calls a day to that person per company. So that lead could be touch 18 times a day in theory).

Last edited:
Back