Is FE a Good Option?

Rearden beat me to it. His #'s are spot on. 12 leads a week? That's where it starts to go down hill. I get it. The idea is get 12 leads and sell...3? 4? No offense but even the greatest in this business with the leads I'm pretty sure you're going to run...12 leads...1-2 sales at an average $500-$600 in AP...90% contract...you get 75% advance BUT....what if it's graded or modified or ROP? NOW...it's 65% with a 75% advance.

Next...$21 lead cost? Hmm...starting off with either company you're thinking about? $24.95 will be your minimum cost starting off.

Next...neither one is going to be able to keep you at 12 leads a week. One week 8. Next week 15. THEN...if you ask for a break? NOT! You have to understand how mail drops work.

Again, we are all just giving you tough love BUT, if I listened to all the negative people when I first started doing this? I'd be working at Home Depot right now. So do your thing but AS a recruiter(an agent though many disagree), you will be told 60% real #'s...40% false hope.

Again...12 leads a week will not generate you $5K in a AP a month...part time. You may be the Golden Child but it just hasn't really been done. Just follow your gut but be prepared for surprise's.

You will get what you put into this business...If your part time, obviously you won't achieve results full time agents put into it...But don't let the naysayer recruiters talk you off the ledge..Give it your all, and see where it takes you

I had an agent start in the biz last summer. He's a school teacher now and is looking for supplemental income when he retires. He rode along with me twice, trained on the phone and presentation scripts for a couple of weeks, part time, and ordered 2,000 mail pieces. I also gave him 25 old leads. He went out in July and wrote $14k AP. Not one lapsed. He put his retirement papers in the next week. It is possible.

Ok so most of you say you can't do this part time, some say a few can make it. I'm not really looking to do this part time, just not as full time as most. How many hours a week would it take on average to work 15 leads? If I'm setting appts, couldn't I just set them for when I could be there?

And if I start during the summer, I could work 20-25 leads and with only 6 credit hours of class my last two semesters, I could still dedicate two full days to the field. I'm not saying this sounds easy, I just want to know if its doable. If it is I will be successful.

Ok so most of you say you can't do this part time, some say a few can make it. I'm not really looking to do this part time, just not as full time as most. How many hours a week would it take on average to work 15 leads? If I'm setting appts, couldn't I just set them for when I could be there?

And if I start during the summer, I could work 20-25 leads and with only 6 credit hours of class my last two semesters, I could still dedicate two full days to the field. I'm not saying this sounds easy, I just want to know if its doable. If it is I will be successful.

Yes you can! Like mentioned here you get out what you put in...one of the best advantages of this business is setting your own schedule.

How many hours to work 15 leads? Depends on how much income you want, how good you are at appointment setting and presentations, and lead quality.

Good leads should give you 5 to 8 appointments; about an hour per appointment and with average drive time say 8 to 12 hours altogether plus phone time to set appointments.

I have been in the FE arena for about 4 years and I really don't know that many guys well enough to state for sure but from what I hear. Very few guys out on their own work more than 3 days a week. How else could they be sitting here posting as much as they do?

If a guy working 55 hours a week in the car business would go out and work an honest 40 hours a week in FE he could make twice the money in half the time. But most don't, they get lazy and start working 25 to 30 hours a week.

Zappa said it best, "All she realy needed was some disaplin"

Last edited:
Even if you dedicate 3 days in the field, you need the other days to do follow up calls on applications to all the insurance companies, setting apts and being on the phone, getting calls from clients that you need to take care of. If your in class and your phone rings or you don't have access to there file, how is that going to work from a client prospective?

I am sorry, but a professional insurance agent needs to be full time in my book.

All imho of course

stated by Gordon

"I am sorry, but a professional insurance agent needs to be full time in my book. "

Everybody has a different set of needs. I need to work enough to support my bad habits and pay for my stuff.

I usually make 2 or 3 hours of calls on Monday. I schedule 6 to 8 appointments for Tues and Wed and then am off until next Monday. I usually drive an hour to two just getting to the work area Tuesday am, spend the night in a hotel and work Wed untill 5 or so. Get home Wed around 7. Thursday maybe an hour of paperwork then off until next Monday.

Working two days in a row, on the road, can be tiring. I don't do this job for fun, i do it to make money. I preferred the mortgage business much much more but this is the next best thing that I have found.

Read more: Is FE a Good Option? - Page 3

Back