FE Transportation

TDFnCali

Guru
1000 Post Club
California
I couldnt find any of the old car threads, so Im starting a new 1 so I can hear u ppl debate whats an "American" car & what isnt...for the 25th time.

BUT...before u go there, Im being forced to get a new car now, I was trying to wait til the fall, but no can do. Im fine with a used car, I plan on having it 4-6yrs Id guess & Im not looking to spend a lot, ideally 12-16k range. I like roomy sedans with some "GO" preferably....and of course I have to like the looks of it too.

So Ive narrowed down my choices to 1 practical car that I think is a pretty good car, fuel efficient & roomy....a 2009-2012 VW Passat (JD just cringed & possibly stopped reading, lol). Or a fun to drive, very powerful sporty sedan Ive rented a few times & loved, but not so fuel efficient....a 2009-2012 Dodge Charger (thats for u JD). From what I can tell, both are very highly rated by their owners, but both are just avg in reliability ratings from what I can tell & I wont by anything with over 50-60k miles.

Sooooooooooo....I need feedback, anyone have either of these cars? Gordon, u are the car guru, whats the reliability of these? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I just bought a 11 Ford Ranger 4 cyl to use for work this week. First murican car I have had in a loooong time

I couldnt find any of the old car threads, so Im starting a new 1 so I can hear u ppl debate whats an "American" car & what isnt...for the 25th time. BUT...before u go there, Im being forced to get a new car now, I was trying to wait til the fall, but no can do. Im fine with a used car, I plan on having it 4-6yrs Id guess & Im not looking to spend a lot, ideally 12-16k range. I like roomy sedans with some "GO" preferably....and of course I have to like the looks of it too. So Ive narrowed down my choices to 1 practical car that I think is a pretty good car, fuel efficient & roomy....a 2009-2012 VW Passat (JD just cringed & possibly stopped reading, lol). Or a fun to drive, very powerful sporty sedan Ive rented a few times & loved, but not so fuel efficient....a 2009-2012 Dodge Charger (thats for u JD). From what I can tell, both are very highly rated by their owners, but both are just avg in reliability ratings from what I can tell & I wont by anything with over 50-60k miles. Sooooooooooo....I need feedback, anyone have either of these cars? Gordon, u are the car guru, whats the reliability of these? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Limit your search to a Subaru Outback. Take your acceptable mileage up to 100,000 and go cheaper so you can pay it off quick. In fact, if you're financing the car don't spend over $5,000 and pay it off ASAP. Then keep paying yourself a car payment so the next time you need a car you can peel off the Bennys.

Interest on car loans is for people who don't have calculators.

AAA rates these Sedans as the top 3 for what you are looking at:

1. Honda Accord
  2. Ford Taurus
  3. Hyundai Sonata

I know my Hondas held good value year in and year out. You should be able to get a nice one that is 3 years old in your price range.

AAA rates these Sedans as the top 3 for what you are looking at:

1. Honda Accord
  2. Ford Taurus
  3. Hyundai Sonata

I know my Hondas held good value year in and year out. You should be able to get a nice one that is 3 years old in your price range.

I know all about Hondas & Toyotas, good cars...just not really interested in them. I didnt know the Ford Taurus is that high, but its hard for me to buy a used Ford, my mind screams "NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!" LoL

Im not stating the cars I picked out are the top, but from what I can tell they both seem good....any info on the Passat or Charger?

----------

Limit your search to a Subaru Outback. Take your acceptable mileage up to 100,000 and go cheaper so you can pay it off quick. In fact, if you're financing the car don't spend over $5,000 and pay it off ASAP. Then keep paying yourself a car payment so the next time you need a car you can peel off the Bennys.

Interest on car loans is for people who don't have calculators.

This was the 1st route I was going to take....get a car between like 6-10k. But Ive had a "beat'er upper" for the last 3yrs, a 20yr old MBZ with no pmts. Every 3-4mos it was something I had to do with it....new brake pads, new batt, new alternator (twice), a/c fan, etc, etc. I cant do the REAL CHEAP cars again....plus its hard to really know if you're getting a good car that cheap unless u know the owner. I want something a like fun & I like a lil too so when Im not on appts, I like to drive it.

I know all about Hondas & Toyotas, good cars...just not really interested in them. I didnt know the Ford Taurus is that high, but its hard for me to buy a used Ford, my mind screams "NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!" LoL

Im not stating the cars I picked out are the top, but from what I can tell they both seem good....any info on the Passat or Charger?

I am past my VW days and sports cars as I eclipse you in grey hairs by 20+ years. I am more of the Audi/Saab man now with a mix of Mercedes. Both are not good for the FE market though.

I drive a Ford Diesel/Excursion to my FE appts. 150k miles and chuggin along.

I couldnt find any of the old car threads, so Im starting a new 1 so I can hear u ppl debate whats an "American" car & what isnt...for the 25th time.

BUT...before u go there, Im being forced to get a new car now, I was trying to wait til the fall, but no can do. Im fine with a used car, I plan on having it 4-6yrs Id guess & Im not looking to spend a lot, ideally 12-16k range. I like roomy sedans with some "GO" preferably....and of course I have to like the looks of it too.

So Ive narrowed down my choices to 1 practical car that I think is a pretty good car, fuel efficient & roomy....a 2009-2012 VW Passat (JD just cringed & possibly stopped reading, lol). Or a fun to drive, very powerful sporty sedan Ive rented a few times & loved, but not so fuel efficient....a 2009-2012 Dodge Charger (thats for u JD). From what I can tell, both are very highly rated by their owners, but both are just avg in reliability ratings from what I can tell & I wont by anything with over 50-60k miles.

Sooooooooooo....I need feedback, anyone have either of these cars? Gordon, u are the car guru, whats the reliability of these? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

That's right...JD likes his foreign cars. Dodge is an Italian car. LOL...Your Charger, like JD's Impala is also built by Canadians. Hahaha

I am past my VW days and sports cars as I eclipse you in grey hairs by 20+ years. I am more of the Audi/Saab man now with a mix of Mercedes. Both are not good for the FE market though.

I drive a Ford Diesel/Excursion to my FE appts. 150k miles and chuggin along.

I wouldnt exactly call a car thats only going to be 16k tops as real "sporty"....im not looking for a corvette or even a brand new charger.

I like Audi a lot, but for the price range Im looking for it would have to be like a 6yr old Audi A4 with like 60-80k miles, and while those are nice, they are kinda small like the VW jetta. In fact I just saw a white A4, 70k miles, 2007, white for 12k.....but is a 7yr old Audi with 70k miles better then a 2-4yr old passat/charger with only 30-40k miles?

----------

That's right...JD likes his foreign cars. Dodge is an Italian car. LOL...Your Charger, like JD's Impala is also built by Canadians. Hahaha

Hahaha, thats cool.....unlike most of u guys I dont care where its from, I care it last & looks at least semi nice.

Honda's are great but getting pricey. Even the used ones are up there. Other car cos. constantly make reference to them cuz they're still trying to get there.

My neighbor is one of those guys who is constantly searching for the best car and best deal. His current ride is the Hyundai Genesis. Roomy, great looking and great acceleration with a 100k warranty. You could probably find one a few years old in your price range.

Honda's are great but getting pricey. Even the used ones are up there. Other car cos. constantly make reference to them cuz they're still trying to get there.

My neighbor is one of those guys who is constantly searching for the best car and best deal. His current ride is the Hyundai Genesis. Roomy, great looking and great acceleration with a 100k warranty. You could probably find one a few years old in your price range.

You know what, I didnt look at any Hyundai's...I will just to make sure, thanks.

Back