First Day Out Canvassing Few Questions.

Well I'm definitely not referring to you then :)

I don't think you've ever posted yours here.

The guy whose survey it is was very successful, he went into commercial insurance or something. He was before my time, but that's what I heard.

If you're referring to JMatto(I might have spelled that wrong), he's now a funeral director.

----------

The survey came from here: http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/insurance-cold-calling-forum/survey-door-door-t33623.html

Jmatos, who is a pastor and is now operating a small funeral home.

Hahaha, I'm not quick enough, you posted while I was typing.:laugh:

If you're referring to JMatto(I might have spelled that wrong), he's now a funeral director.

----------

Hahaha, I'm not quick enough, you posted while I was typing.:laugh:

That is a good thread to read but Newby's three question survey is a better survey.

There is nothing wrong with using the survey but most old time canvassers would consider it a crutch. However, if it gives you more courage than just cold canvassing then by all means, do it. I tried it a time or two but did not find it any more effective than just knocking on the door and starting a conversation. I notice you're talking about calling back. Canvassing should be aimed at getting to sit down and make a presentation NOW.. If they won't agree to that, then set a definite appointment within the next couple of days. If they don't agree to that, get what information you can about the neighbors, thank them and move on..

Don't knock a crutch, IF it works.

If a crutch helps you do better than you would without it, then great do it. If the crutch is really a hindrance, then stop!

After all, leads are simply a crutch as well. Everyone buying leads could simply stop and go back to cold calling, canvassing, friends and family, referrals, etc. However, leads help many agents be vastly more productive than they would otherwise, or they make up for an area where they are weak, marketing.

The problem is, it seems NCAggie has done two things he shouldn't have. He broke his crutch and then tried to use it all wrong as well.

Nothing to do with Rousemark or HoosierLife, they're honest, but a couple of the most crooked agents I've seen over the years were pastors. One of them was in Tennessee(not Rouse) and he screwed over his own father for a few bucks.:yes:

The more someone wants to profess their faith, the tighter I hold my wallet.

Pastors are like the ultimate salesman.

Maybe.. but that survey did not to well enough to keep him in the business so I don't know that the claim could be made he was very successful with it.

----------

Don't knock a crutch, IF it works.

If a crutch helps you do better than you would without it, then great do it. If the crutch is really a hindrance, then stop!

After all, leads are simply a crutch as well. Everyone buying leads could simply stop and go back to cold calling, canvassing, friends and family, referrals, etc. However, leads help many agents be vastly more productive than they would otherwise, or they make up for an area where they are weak, marketing.

The problem is, it seems NCAggie has done two things he shouldn't have. He broke his crutch and then tried to use it all wrong as well.

Notice that I did say if it helped him to be more confident in making the approach, then he certainly not quit. I have my own crutch. I like to work from a list so I know the persons name in advance. It is more time consuming than just going down the street but I enjoy it more. I also started using a blank reply card. I don't tell them I sent them one but I do say, "You may have received one of these cards concerning state regulated burial insurance plans in the may (everyone has). Well, it is my job to provide the information mentioned in the card. May I step in?... Can't say that the majority immediately invite me in.. would be nice if they did.. but it does start the conversation.

The problem is the survey misses the purpose of the call. When you knock on the door the purpose should be the same as when you call them on the phone. Your goal should be to get the appointment, not to make the sale (unless you are doing telesales). Everything you say and do should be directed at selling the "sit". Once you get in the house, then you qualify the prospect and make the insurance sale. JD says he does virtually no qualifying on the phone and it should be the same when you are standing on the doorstep.

In answer to Ben's question about when you cold knock a door and you have another appointment pending. Then you simply tell them you have another appointment and would like to come back at another time.. Which is the same thing he is doing using the survey.

Latest posts

Back