First Lead Order Results/advice

kcinsc

Expert
New agent here got licensed and into this at the first of the year. I work fulltime so this is something I got into to make a better living. Mainly set appts on saturdays. After studying and learning about the FE business I went ahead with my first lead order. Being first time I was unsure about leads I know most agents get a 15-25 lead order per week but I was just not ready to make that financial commitment so I just decided to do one lead order and see how it went to get a feel what to expect etc. I heard a lot of positive stuff about lead connection but they wouldnt do a per lead order in my area because low returns so I went with 20 leads from need a lead with the card thats says life insurance. I think parameters were 50-85 with income of 0-50k. Well its been 9 weeks now and i have only gotten back 12 leads so far.
Out of those 12
5 were in there early 50's and thought it was something free and had no interest if cost anything.
3 didnt put a phone number so I rode by houses which were all in 70s in age in the same neighborhood. It was beyond the ghetto, Im talking pitbulls chained to front porch and the whole block standing outside thinking im the law or something so i just didnt even feel safe to get out.
1 guy thought was free but then said already had life insurance but agreed to a appointment to see if i could save him some money, then he called and cancelled when i was on the way and said its all the same but Ill keep working on him.
1 lady in late 70s wanted a policy but was a definite GI and couldnt afford the lowest premium I could offer. Felt bad for her as she just didnt have the funds.
1 guy who was 70 years old retired school teacher who had an small art gallery I met with and was wanting a policy to leave his daughter some behind to continue with the art gallery. Already had his funeral and final expenses taking care of. Met with him twice and in the end he was really interested and wanted to stay around $100 per month but he was just expecting much more coverage than what he could get and felt at only 10k death benefit he would be better off just using the money to give her now intstead of paying premiums because he was extremely healthy and probably will live much longer than 10 years.
So here I am over 300 in the hole on leads without a single sale, pretty discouraged to say the least.
Then the 12th lead comes in, Couple in mid 60s he retired from bosch she retired as a teacher both work part time at home depot, live in middle class neighborhood and do a lot of camping. So met with them saturday they wanted to get a policy started but she didnt have time to sit down because was getting flower ready for a wedding but agreed to meet yesterday. Ended up selling two RNA policies with an AP of $1320. Probably a small accomplishment to most but Im pretty stoked about it, even though I know 1k AP policies probably will not be the norm and more likely to see more 5-600 AP. So ive figured just on the 1st year commission I got a return of $102 per lead thus far.
Now im kinda confused and would appreciate advice on what i should do next about leads. Would love to do the RGI leads weekly but just not quite ready for that financial commitment yet. Should i just put in another NAL per lead order and maybe try some TM leads until they come in? or maybe try a per 1000 narrowed down to ages 55-80 with some income even though the returns in this area is awful? Though a small sample it seemed like the only ones that knew what it was about and was interested were the 60-75 ages who are middle class citizens. The ones in early 50s all thought was free and the lower incomes were all broke. Once i get a few more sales i think i will have the confidence to go with the weekly lead order but doing it part time now i dont know if I could handle 20 leads per week and I could get in the hole quick if dont produce results. Also do most agents reorder the same zips and counties or switch it up? Just seems so far the ones 60 or over who are middle or lower middle class seem to be the ones who are most interested. Ideally i would like about 10 leads per week so maybe i should order 20 leads every other week they just come in so slow I need some to work now, are TM leads decent? thanks

Too small a sample to judge good or bad.

Are you with an IMO that knows about FE? If so, get with them for training.

If not, then find one asap.

There's a lot wrong in your approach.

Did you do a ride along in this business before you started the business? At least half of the people you're going to sell two are in those areas you didn't like going to and that's going to be a huge problem.

New agent here got licensed and into this at the first of the year. I work fulltime so this is something I got into to make a better living. Mainly set appts on saturdays. After studying and learning about the FE business I went ahead with my first lead order. Being first time I was unsure about leads I know most agents get a 15-25 lead order per week but I was just not ready to make that financial commitment so I just decided to do one lead order and see how it went to get a feel what to expect etc. I heard a lot of positive stuff about lead connection but they wouldnt do a per lead order in my area because low returns so I went with 20 leads from need a lead with the card thats says life insurance. I think parameters were 50-85 with income of 0-50k. Well its been 9 weeks now and i have only gotten back 12 leads so far.
Out of those 12
5 were in there early 50's and thought it was something free and had no interest if cost anything.
3 didnt put a phone number so I rode by houses which were all in 70s in age in the same neighborhood. It was beyond the ghetto, Im talking pitbulls chained to front porch and the whole block standing outside thinking im the law or something so i just didnt even feel safe to get out.
1 guy thought was free but then said already had life insurance but agreed to a appointment to see if i could save him some money, then he called and cancelled when i was on the way and said its all the same but Ill keep working on him.
1 lady in late 70s wanted a policy but was a definite GI and couldnt afford the lowest premium I could offer. Felt bad for her as she just didnt have the funds.
1 guy who was 70 years old retired school teacher who had an small art gallery I met with and was wanting a policy to leave his daughter some behind to continue with the art gallery. Already had his funeral and final expenses taking care of. Met with him twice and in the end he was really interested and wanted to stay around $100 per month but he was just expecting much more coverage than what he could get and felt at only 10k death benefit he would be better off just using the money to give her now intstead of paying premiums because he was extremely healthy and probably will live much longer than 10 years.
So here I am over 300 in the hole on leads without a single sale, pretty discouraged to say the least.
Then the 12th lead comes in, Couple in mid 60s he retired from bosch she retired as a teacher both work part time at home depot, live in middle class neighborhood and do a lot of camping. So met with them saturday they wanted to get a policy started but she didnt have time to sit down because was getting flower ready for a wedding but agreed to meet yesterday. Ended up selling two RNA policies with an AP of $1320. Probably a small accomplishment to most but Im pretty stoked about it, even though I know 1k AP policies probably will not be the norm and more likely to see more 5-600 AP. So ive figured just on the 1st year commission I got a return of $102 per lead thus far.
Now im kinda confused and would appreciate advice on what i should do next about leads. Would love to do the RGI leads weekly but just not quite ready for that financial commitment yet. Should i just put in another NAL per lead order and maybe try some TM leads until they come in? or maybe try a per 1000 narrowed down to ages 55-80 with some income even though the returns in this area is awful? Though a small sample it seemed like the only ones that knew what it was about and was interested were the 60-75 ages who are middle class citizens. The ones in early 50s all thought was free and the lower incomes were all broke. Once i get a few more sales i think i will have the confidence to go with the weekly lead order but doing it part time now i dont know if I could handle 20 leads per week and I could get in the hole quick if dont produce results. Also do most agents reorder the same zips and counties or switch it up? Just seems so far the ones 60 or over who are middle or lower middle class seem to be the ones who are most interested. Ideally i would like about 10 leads per week so maybe i should order 20 leads every other week they just come in so slow I need some to work now, are TM leads decent? thanks

Hey "kc" thanks for sharing the details of your order!

First of most every experienced agent that has stick it out and is successful has some kind of story relating to lead mishaps so you're not alone lol.

All of the advice though of getting on a weekly fixed lead order is legit. You're just going to have to bite the bullet at some point even if it's just 20 leads a week. Otherwise, your business is going to be way to inconsistent to make it the long haul.

But If you bust it and force yourself to see all 20 of those leads every week you can definitely do it. Especially if you have a good company lineup and get some cases that you get paid on issue. Easily doable!

Also, it'd be good to narrow down some demographics and ideal areas to mail that would be conducive to FE business and that would help a lot in the end as well!

I have found that when I am off my game everyone says they thought it was free. Then, when I'm hot, I never hear that out of people's mouths. Crazy, huh?

Just so you know, you getting that sale was not just luck. They bought YOU. Pat yourself on the back for that!

One of my mentors taught me this: The reason people don't buy is ALWAYS one of three reasons.
1. No trust
2. No value
3. No urgency

You need a coach that can diagnose your problem & give you a solution. That, and a community of agents that are just a message away.

I would reccomend joining an IMO with a great community, like EFES. They have 3 training calls a week and over 130 agents in a group chat.

Last edited:
yes I know i kinda got lucky on the sale but they did really trust me and the meeting went well. He actually said an agent called him the next day after our first meeting and he told them he already had it handled.
Im actually with fex and watched all the training videos and use the phone and presentations that tubbs/jd provided. I know I have some improving to do but making a sale for the first time has given me some confidence. A few appointments i set called and cancelled saying the card said it was free. Just gonna keep working on appt setting and presentation skills and may just bite the bullet and start the weekly lead order. What is the minimum on the weekly lead order?

Yea I know i have a lot to work on but making a sale did give me some confidence. I am acutually with fex and i have watched all the training stuff and use the appt setting/presentation scripts provided by Tubbs/JD. The meeting yesterday went well and the couple trusted me and appreciated me getting it handled for them, He said an agent had called him the next day after our first appointment and he told him he already had it handled. I may just bite the bullet and sign up for weekly leads, is 20 the minimum? thanks

Yea I know i have a lot to work on but making a sale did give me some confidence. I am acutually with fex and i have watched all the training stuff and use the appt setting/presentation scripts provided by Tubbs/JD. The meeting yesterday went well and the couple trusted me and appreciated me getting it handled for them, He said an agent had called him the next day after our first appointment and he told him he already had it handled. I may just bite the bullet and sign up for weekly leads, is 20 the minimum? thanks

Yeah kc I'd say 20 would give you a good idea. You'll always get some bad ones in the stack (i.e. No phone, bad phone, etc.), so 20 would still give you a good amount to work with. Just the piece of mind in knowing you have fresh leads coming in each week will put you in a better state of mind to sell right off the bat!

Latest posts

Back