The Future of Final Expense

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
An intersting LIC article concerning "The Future of Final Expense" One statement that caught my eye was:

"But change is coming. As increased commissions inspire higher sales of lower quality business, more carriers are experimenting with selling final expense direct to consumers. Since final expense sales are primarily driven by a direct mail lead, this is a relatively easy adjustment. Rather than send the lead to an IMO to parse out to an agent, the prospect can simply call the home office directly. Almost all final expense carriers incorporate a point of sale telephone interview in their new business process, and many carriers have already made this process paperless and highly efficient. Incorporating a call center with a licensed sales representative into current practices is logical and intuitive enough to almost be a no-brainer.;"

We agents tend to shoot ourselves in the foot by trying to see what we can "sneak" through the underwriting process. We choose companies based on certain "niches" without giving those companies the "good" business that is needed to offset the increased risk of the "niche". Of course, the companies bring it upon themselves to a certain extent. They develop plans with those niches without requiring any quantity of "preferred" business to go with the niche business. Perhaps Settlers has the right idea when it comes their Bronze. They have it as an "accommodation" to the agents but they don't want an overload of it.

Another statement made is:

A few final expense companies have experienced even better mortality on policies they’ve sold with an in-house call center than they have with agent sales. I’m not sure if this says a lot or a little about the value of field underwriting but either way the message is not a positive one.

If we IAs continue to make commission paramount and do not take our responsibility as a "field underwriter" (there is that phrase again ) as seriously as we do our prospecting, then we may find we aren't needed as much as we think we are. As an old guy I won't be around long enough to see whatever changes that this will bring about but you young guys might give it some thought.

Here is a link to the article.

The Future of Final Expense

An intersting LIC article concerning "The Future of Final Expense" One statement that caught my eye was: "But change is coming. As increased commissions inspire higher sales of lower quality business, more carriers are experimenting with selling final expense direct to consumers. Since final expense sales are primarily driven by a direct mail lead, this is a relatively easy adjustment. Rather than send the lead to an IMO to parse out to an agent, the prospect can simply call the home office directly. Almost all final expense carriers incorporate a point of sale telephone interview in their new business process, and many carriers have already made this process paperless and highly efficient. Incorporating a call center with a licensed sales representative into current practices is logical and intuitive enough to almost be a no-brainer.;" We agents tend to shoot ourselves in the foot by trying to see what we can "sneak" through the underwriting process. We choose companies based on certain "niches" without giving those companies the "good" business that is needed to offset the increased risk of the "niche". Of course, the companies bring it upon themselves to a certain extent. They develop plans with those niches without requiring any quantity of "preferred" business to go with the niche business. Perhaps Settlers has the right idea when it comes their Bronze. They have it as an "accommodation" to the agents but they don't want an overload of it. Another statement made is: A few final expense companies have experienced even better mortality on policies they’ve sold with an in-house call center than they have with agent sales. I’m not sure if this says a lot or a little about the value of field underwriting but either way the message is not a positive one. If we IAs continue to make commission paramount and do not take our responsibility as a "field underwriter" (there is that phrase again ) as seriously as we do our prospecting, then we may find we aren't needed as much as we think we are. As an old guy I won't be around long enough to see whatever changes that this will bring about but you young guys might give it some thought. Here is a link to the article. The Future of Final Expense

Are they thinking that if the lead cards that we mail out had the home-office his phone numbers on them the customers would just call in and cut out the middleman? I don't think so.

Are they thinking that if the lead cards that we mail out had the home-office his phone numbers on them the customers would just call in and cut out the middleman? I don't think so.

Even if the lead card went back to the home office call center, they still need to learn to sell and that is the challege.

Even if the lead card went back to the home office call center, they still need to learn to sell and that is the challege.

^^^^^
I agree 100%.

There will still be someone "selling" at some point in the process.

I know the carriers do well with selling guaranteed issue direct to consumer in the mail, but that is ultimately only a small fraction of the overall business available out there.

True..but you also had to know how to sell as a debit agent and they are all but extinct today. There are still people who will only pay by agent collection.. Those people are now being ignored and doing without insurance in a lot of areas.

Newby, there is no difference in the lead card being mailed to a mail center and being mailed to the HO. The prospect doesn't care where he sends the card. The difference is what happens to the card once it is sent in. Does an agent call for an appointment or does a telesales agent sell it on the phone.

"...the prospect can simply call the home office directly." That's not happening. People do not like insurance companies. It's SO much more advantageous for an agent to be involved. I've encouraged customers to call their company, oh the excuses. When I do it for them it make all the difference. Prospects calling the HO direct? Nope it won't work.

Back in 1981 I cut my chops as a debit agent before opening my own p/c agency, Debit co's were everywhere back then now thru consolidation fewer co's collections mostly on mail pay and extreme pressure to produce for them, but they are alive and well

There's no change coming except in the mind of the *** that wrote that drivel.

It's no news that companies would love to get rid of agents. That's one reason they willing to work with phone sales offices. They hope someone will perfect it and they can copy it.

They are as clueless today about the FE market as they have ever been.

There's no change coming except in the mind of the *** that wrote that drivel. It's no news that companies would love to get rid of agents. That's one reason they willing to work with phone sales offices. They hope someone will perfect it and they can copy it. They are as clueless today about the FE market as they have ever been.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^

Latest posts

Back