Health Insurance for FE Agents?

How are your kids getting Medicaid unless you're getting subsidized ?Why
can't you buy insurance off exchange?

3. I have never believed that employers should be paying any portion of their employees health insurance. I think that is a huge part of what has always been wrong with our system. It makes it not portable and keeps the people using the system to be sheltered from the cost of the system. That has skyrocketed costs. It needs to be free market or single payer but neither one should involve employers in any way.
Ok Newbizzle! Companies started offering health insurance to attract people (during WWII) to their company, thus, it was the free market system at work. Same as companies that offer a pension.

Last edited:
How are your kids getting Medicaid unless you're getting subsidized ?Why
can't you buy insurance off exchange?

If I buy outside of Obamacare, I have to pay $836/month. Before Obamacare went into effect, I was paying $236/month for the same coverage. Unfortunately paying $836/month vs. $236 is a big difference to my budget each month, especially when our kids are in private school with a $1200/mo. tuition.

3. I have never believed that employers should be paying any portion of their employees health insurance. I think that is a huge part of what has always been wrong with our system. It makes it not portable and keeps the people using the system to be sheltered from the cost of the system. That has skyrocketed costs. It needs to be free market or single payer but neither one should involve employers in any way.

Agreed. Most people working for the man won't ever agree with you (see) that they need the free market. The man could increase their salary and they can choose how to invest their premium dollar.

Is your car insurance tied to your employer? No.
Is your homeowner's insurance tied to your employer? No.
Is your life insurance tied to your employer? No.

Why the heck should your health insurance be tied to your employer?

Is your life insurance tied to your employer? No. Why the heck should your health insurance be tied to your employer?
Ever hear of group life insurance? You're an insurance agent and you don't know that several companies provide group life to their employees????? Your health insurance is tied to a persons job because the employer offers it as a benefit.

Do some research and get the facts.

Ever hear of group life insurance? You're an insurance agent and you don't know that several companies provide group life to their employees????? Your health insurance is tied to a persons job because the employer offers it as a benefit.

Do some research and get the facts.

Eh, specious. There is an ample and much larger free market for those who shop OUTSIDE the group offering. Not so with healthcare. You might want to do some research regarding the portability of group life vs. group health.

Eh, specious. There is an ample and much larger free market for those who shop OUTSIDE the group offering. Not so with healthcare. You might want to do some research regarding the portability of group life vs. group health.

What I stated is correct. Nobody is debating the free market. For that matter nobody is debating anything you just stated, especially portability.

You cannot escape the fact that healthcare came about because companies offered it to attract talent and to subsidize low wages during WWII.

Employers have never required an employee to be a part of their health insurance plan. An employee has always had the choice to purchase their own health insurance.

Edit: IIRC, you can take a cobra plan that matches what you currently have. You have to pay for it though.

The bottom line is this: nobody has ever been required to purchase an employers health care offering. People have always been free to buy their own policy.

Last edited:
What I stated is correct. Nobody is debating the free market. For that matter nobody is debating anything you just stated, especially portability. You cannot escape the fact that healthcare came about because companies offered it to attract talent and to subsidize low wages during WWII. Employers have never required an employee to be a part of their health insurance plan. An employee has always had the choice to purchase their own health insurance. Edit: IIRC, you can take a cobra plan that matches what you currently have. You have to pay for it though. The bottom line is this: nobody has ever been required to purchase an employers health care offering. People have always been free to buy their own policy.

Pretty sure cobra is only good for 18 months though...I have nothing else to contribute ;)

My wife works and has a great job with great benefits. That's the discussion we are having now, with the baby 5 months out. Does she stay home or continue to work?

The money she makes is a factor of course, she makes close to 6 figures herself, but it's the insurance that will keep her there if that's the way we go.

$4000 family deductible 85/15 co-insurance with an HSA and her company deposits $2000 a year into the HSA.

All that for $80 every two weeks.

Is it just me or does this sound preposterous ?

Back