Be Honest - You're BROKE!

I wouldn't say I was broke when I started, because my wife had a good job, but we didn't have much in the way of savings.

When I got into FE, I was delivering pizzas to save for Leads. I actually just got a $99/mo Dialer and developed my own TM leads.

My first week in the field I sold around $3300 in AP. Put in my two weeks notice and started buying TM Leads right away.

Now every time I tell this story I get PMs and calls on how to do this. For one, TM Leads have become less and less profitable and are harder to sell, especially for new agents.

And now everyone is adhering to the Do Not Call list (which they didn't back in the day) so you're only dealing with a small subset of the FE demographic who are also getting slammed with calls every single day. So I don't believe this plan is a viable option.

I hate YouTube videos lol but I know Dave has one video where he recommends agents doing group presentations at Senior Centers for those that are broke. I spent part of the day yesterday sending out all the training material for senior Centers to my agents.

I was able to write $4000 in AP at my first one.

All that to say, I think I was the exception rather than the rule. If you're broke or need to make big bucks out of the gate, it will be hard.

There is a learning curve in this business. If you're new, find someone who does this successfully and let them teach you their system!

What most broke prospective agents won't accept is that they are broke because they WON'T work their asses off or they spend every penny they make.
If you want it bad enough go deliver pizzas for a couple of months AFTER your 40 hour job and bank some start up funds THEN jump into FE.
Guys with the right mindset already know this stuff. Lazy people will jump into FE broke and then worry about buying leads. They won't work toward their plan because they want immediate gratification and they just live with their broke mindset. They hope the FE biz will fix their brokeness. It won't.
Set your goal. Work toward your goal.

Newby hit the nail right on the head.:yes:

Anyone with a strong work ethic can be successful in our industry, eventually!

I also know the telltale signs of failure as I was there myself, in this industry.

Agents that won't buy direct mail leads = Most likely to fail
Agents that get on a fixed cost lead program = Highest chance of being successful

People with a successful mindset will come up with money for their business, even if they are broke. To me, these are the agents that any IMO would be proud to have... as they have the "make things happen" mentality and don't give up easily, like most.

Hell i'd be proud too if i were making 15-20% on a guy doing $150k. That pays your yearly rent on a $400k house.

So.. I scrubbed the Fex website and there's a ton of info on there, One of the 'top' reason NOT to get into FE is: BEING BROKE!

So, I'm just curious - who on here started broke and still made it happen?

Like everything about life money makes things easier. When I started I would be considered "broke" by many start your own business definitions. I did not have disposable money that I could afford not to come back me.

It comes down to if you have a motor and willing to fix and re-wire yourself along the way. Effort and calories burned in the profession of FE can overcome every other obstacle you face in the beginning. Effort can get you enough applications all while learning and building up your marketing dollars for a consistent marketing campaign.

Thanks for checking out our site.

TT

I started out about as broke as someone could be. I had to borrow the money to get licensed. I think my saving grace was hooking up with a captive agency that supplied us with leads. Of course my commissions were half of what an independent agent should be getting. I also held a part time job that allowed me to work at night. I delivered newspapers. I worked from 2am-6am doing that, went home and showered, got dressed in a suit and then off to be an agent. Once I started selling I stopped delivering papers and then my income went up because I could concentrate on selling 100%. It was still rough, but I made it.

Back