Be Honest - You're BROKE!

NuUzr

Guru
100+ Post Club
So.. I scrubbed the Fex website and there's a ton of info on there, One of the 'top' reason NOT to get into FE is: BEING BROKE!

So, I'm just curious - who on here started broke and still made it happen?

If you are just getting into insurance plan to not have money for a little bit. I tell people who want to get into insurance to have at least 6 months income in the bank. Most people won't make it in insurance. If you get past that first 6 months to a year you have a fighting chance.

Disclaimer: I am going on 18 years straight and I was this way year one selling only AFLAC to businesses. Once I opened my eyes to other products, companies, and direct to consumer it was only up from there.

I left the debit to start my own independent agency with no money in the bank..Was able to keep my family fed and the bills paid. Wrote a lot if the business on an annual mode since we didn't get advances on most of our business in those days.

If you are just getting into insurance plan to not have money for a little bit. I tell people who want to get into insurance to have at least 6 months income in the bank. Most people won't make it in insurance. If you get past that first 6 months to a year you have a fighting chance.

Which is one of the reasons why I still do this part time. For me to go full time, I understand that I need to be a better position than I'm in now.

So.. I scrubbed the Fex website and there's a ton of info on there, One of the 'top' reason NOT to get into FE is: BEING BROKE!

So, I'm just curious - who on here started broke and still made it happen?

Im a fan of starting off captive and learning with other people's money. You gotta start at a place with real leads for free to get a good sense of the job. Many captive companies have subpar leads, so interview wisely.

Once you've mastered the art of selling this specific product, It's time to consider going Indy.

It's important for any new agent whether it be in FE, Med Supps, Life, Health etc. to understand this is a business, your business and you have to treat it as such. You need to be adequately capitalized, meaning money for leads, advertising, expenses, money to live of off if you want to make this a career. There is a lot of money to be made in this industry, unfortunately a lot of new agents think just because I got my license people will flock to buy insurance from me.

Its nice to hear the success stories of agents that started with nothing and made it but those are the exceptions not the norm. If you want to do this full time, you need to put a business plan together with all your costs and income projections. as you grow you may have to adjust this plan and if after you put it together it does not seem financially feasible and you still want to move forward start part time until you have adequate capital or you feel comfortable with going full time. Best of Luck.

Disclaimer: I am going on 18 years straight and I was this way year one selling only AFLAC to businesses. Once I opened my eyes to other products, companies, and direct to consumer it was only up from there.

I was with Aflac too. I started with them in 2003 and like you opened eyes to different types of products. Aflac did have great training and learned a lot , still sell it once in a while.

If i were broke and wanting to break into this business i would accept lower comp with free leads to stay afloat while learning and honing my skills. Lots of money to be made but you need to take steps and be patient coming into this business. Once your comfortable and feel established go Indy and keep rolling.

Back