How Do I Get in More Doors?

To tweak the pitch, I would get a copy of a blank $255 lead card and say this, "Mrs Jones? You recently received a card like this in the mail (show them the card). It talks about blah blah blah whatever you want to say. I just need a few minutes to go over that information with you. (Look at watch). I've got a few minutes now... Or whatever cheesy thing you can come up with to get I the door. I guess if you have to set an appointment that's better than nothing. But make sure the appointments for the next day. And when you're setting it up, act like you're booked all day (you are, you're booked for door knocking).

I understand you want to be honest. I'm right there with you. So if you word it like that ^^^^, you are being honest. They receive these things in the mail all the time.

Last edited:
I feel like I should give my two cent for whatever it's worth.

I have been making a living on straight cold call door knocking for the last 8 years 3 of which were in the ins industry, no leads and no working lists just straight cold. I was trained by the very best. I would describe it as a military sales cult (google southwestern company,Nashville, TN). Over 8 years I have approached over 12,000 strangers at there door step. And I have legitamitly sat down with close to half these people.

Here is a very simple approach that WILL work if you say it CORRECTLY. (a marketing list would be great for this)

"hi mrs. Jones? my name is nick I'm with senior Benifit services and I'm the one in charge of sitting down with all the retired age folks here in Wilson county to share some info on final expense planning. I was just talking to a bunch of your neighbors and everyone has been super friendly as long as I don't take up to much time, do you have a place where we can sit down?!" (as you say this look down and point inside as if your comming in).

If you say this with confidence and proper body langauge it's amazing how many people just open there door

-must be assumptive
-must break eye contact and point as you ask for a place to sit
-use objections as positives

For example

"we already have life insurance"
Response: perfect! Then this won't take long at all, would the kitchen table work or would out here on the porch be better?

The purpose of the approach is not to sell but to sit. You can never sell standing up.

Honestly the words don't matter its about how you say things, are you super relaxed, confident, assumptive? scripts just help you be more relaxed, confident ect.

Remember attitude is everything!! Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
. You can never sell standing up.

I watched Travis Tubbs sell a policy to a hoarder standing up. There was literally no place to sit. There was no place to even write against. He filled out the paperwork in hand.

But there are not too many Travis Tubbs out there.

I have been making a living on straight cold call door knocking for the last 8 years 3 of which were in the ins industry, no leads and no working lists just straight cold. I was trained by the very best. I would describe it as a military sales cult (google southwestern company,Nashville, TN). Over 8 years I have approached over 12,000 strangers at there door step. And I have legitamitly sat down with close to half these people.

Here is a very simple approach that WILL work if you say it CORRECTLY. (a marketing list would be great for this)

"hi mrs. Jones? my name is nick I'm with senior Benifit services and I'm the one in charge of sitting down with all the retired age folks here in Wilson county to share some info on final expense planning. I was just talking to a bunch of your neighbors and everyone has been super friendly as long as I don't take up to much time, do you have a place where we can sit down?!" (as you say this look down and point inside as if your comming in).

If you say this with confidence and proper body langauge it's amazing how many people just open there door

-must be assumptive

For example

Response: perfect! Then this won't take long at all, would the kitchen table work or would out here on the porch be better?

The purpose of the approach is not to sell but to sit. You can never sell standing up.

Honestly the words don't matter its about how you say things, are you super relaxed, confident, assumptive? scripts just help you be more relaxed, confident ect.

.....And Don't Forget The Pony :-)

-must be assumptive

For example

Wow, one of the best posts ever... Love it! Where were you when I was selling my gun collection to buy leads?

Wow, one of the best posts ever... Love it! Where were you when I was selling my gun collection to buy leads?

I agree, Agent. That company made a name selling Books (Rick Perry was an alumni) during college summers. The latest incarnation, involving Insurance, uses the excellent cold calling technique above to sell Cancer Insurance. A lot of the old Combined'ers are there, as it's similar to their "System". I dipped my toe in their water, only because Alastair Cumming, old Combined President, moved over to their operation. He talked me into trying it as I was a Director of Manpower for AC.
I wrote their "Eagle" before the Sales School, and I guess that was rare. The Sales Instructor in Dallas taught getting in the door, nearly identical to the above and it works.

I agree, Agent. That company made a name selling Books (Rick Perry was an alumni) during college summers. The latest incarnation, involving Insurance, uses the excellent cold calling technique above to sell Cancer Insurance. A lot of the old Combined'ers are there, as it's similar to their "System". I dipped my toe in their water, only because Alastair Cumming, old Combined President, moved over to their operation. He talked me into trying it as I was a Director of Manpower for AC.
I wrote their "Eagle" before the Sales School, and I guess that was rare. The Sales Instructor in Dallas taught getting in the door, nearly identical to the above and it works.
I had a college kid selling family bibles come by the house last summer.. I assumed she was with Southwestern. I had no idea they are involved with insurance?

I had a college kid selling family bibles come by the house last summer.. I assumed she was with Southwestern. I had no idea they are involved with insurance?

From their wiki:
In 1989, Scott Roy, who started in the summer sales program, founded the supplemental insurance company Family Heritage along with Howard Lewis.

Southwestern also sold the assets of its Family Heritage insurance business to Torchmark Corporation in October 2012.

Would a specific thread inviting replies from Southwestern alumnae be appropriate/legit on this site? I can't imagine a concentration of sales people this large with only 2-3.

Last edited:
Back