Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Final Expense Forum

Reply to I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets     
Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Guru

State: peteybear is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets
Newby since you're so forth coming give us some real #'s of what an imo potentially makes..Lets use an imo that's does $5 mil of ap in a yr. we know they're on 20-30% minimium override.So right there that's at least $1 mil of overrides. So deduct about 20-25% in chargebacks so that still leaves around $750k in fyc. Lets say they have $150k of expense like hiring an office guy or maybe they even have an office. That leaves a whopping $600k in net let over. Now lets get into the back end. A lot of imo's are making 1-3% on the back end. So say an imo organization after a yr or 2 is doing $5 mil of ap. They do that for 7 straight yrs, In the 5th yr even if 40% of the yr one business is on the books. That's $3 million at an avg 2% or $60k. But what about the renewals from the block ofbusiness last yr and the previous 3 yrs.Were talking potentially $300k$500k just on the back end of yr 5. Newby are these #'s somewhat accurate and if not were am I off base?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Guru
Newby on I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets

State: Newby is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Newby is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets Re: I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets
Originally Posted by peteybear View Post
Newby since you're so forth coming give us some real #'s of what an imo potentially makes..Lets use an imo that's does $5 mil of ap in a yr. we know they're on 20-30% minimium override.So right there that's at least $1 mil of overrides. So deduct about 20-25% in chargebacks so that still leaves around $750k in fyc. Lets say they have $150k of expense like hiring an office guy or maybe they even have an office. That leaves a whopping $600k in net let over. Now lets get into the back end. A lot of imo's are making 1-3% on the back end. So say an imo organization after a yr or 2 is doing $5 mil of ap. They do that for 7 straight yrs, In the 5th yr even if 40% of the yr one business is on the books. That's $3 million at an avg 2% or $60k. But what about the renewals from the block ofbusiness last yr and the previous 3 yrs.Were talking potentially $300k$500k just on the back end of yr 5. Newby are these #'s somewhat accurate and if not were am I off base?
Your figures look about right except that a lot of production comes from agencies under the IMO. The agencies are usually only 5-10 points under the IMO not 25.

www.fexcontracting.com
fexcontracting is about helping independent FE agents get good contracts with the top quality companies and get them up to speed fast with product knowledge and a plan to succeed.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Guru

State: peteybear is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets peteybear is the thread starter for: I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets

True I thought of that but on the upside it deflects a ton of work and head ache from the IMO . The one downside could be if a big agency under you left and had big charge backs it rolls up
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Guru
Todd King on I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets Re: I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets
One piece of the puzzle missing here. You did say 20-25% chargeback and that is true. The one thing you're not factoring in is the deadbeat agent that leaves the IMO having to pay back all of their advances that they didn't. That can be anywhere from a few hundred to quite a few thousand. It can rack up in a heartbeat!

Todd R. King
800-590-7207
540-400-6275
888-748-3978 Fax
TRKingIM.com

Do the right thing because it's simply the right thing to do.

Finalexpense101.com
Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Guru
360 on I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets

State: 360 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
360 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by Todd King View Post
One piece of the puzzle missing here. You did say 20-25% chargeback and that is true. The one thing you're not factoring in is the deadbeat agent that leaves the IMO having to pay back all of their advances that they didn't. That can be anywhere from a few hundred to quite a few thousand. It can rack up in a heartbeat!
Say it ain't so bro! Oh and everyone pays their lead bills like clockwork.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Guru

I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets
True I thought of that but on the upside it deflects a ton of work and head ache from the IMO . The one downside could be if a big agency under you left and had big charge backs it rolls up
If they leave nothing rolls up. The new IMO takes over any debts. It's called locking in your gains.

But if they go belly up without leaving, the up line loses.

If they start to go bad, we just slip them a few hundred to transfer to Todd or Brad.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
CJR
Super Genius
CJR on I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets

State: CJR is an Insurance Agent from Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
If they leave nothing rolls up. The new IMO takes over any debts. It's called locking in your gains.

If they start to go bad, we just slip them a few hundred to transfer to Todd or Brad.
Newbie question. What do you mean by going bad or writing bad business? Does this just mean not paying your chargebacks?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
Guru

State: indiana260 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location

Oh the secret revealed.
This was a great post.
(seeing all this serious tension between the IMO's represented on the form. This post is right up my alley)
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Guru

Originally Posted by CJR View Post
Newbie question. What do you mean by going bad or writing bad business? Does this just mean not paying your chargebacks?

Going bad means having so much business fall off the books that your new business doesn't cover your chargebacks. If an agent's first year persistancy falls much under 80% he is going bad unless he doesn't take advances.

----------

Originally Posted by indiana260 View Post
Oh the secret revealed. This was a great post. (seeing all this serious tension between the IMO's represented on the form. This post is right up my alley)

Todd, Brad and us actually have no serious tension. We all have as much business as we can handle. Brad's downlines are in heavy recruiting mode. That's where the perception of any tension comes from. It's all just splitting hairs trying to be noticed. Friendly competition is the American way. Everyone trying to be just a little bit better than their competitors is what keeps us all improving. Good for us (all the IMOs) and good for the agents.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Guru

State: John Galt is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
Going bad means having so much business fall off the books that your new business doesn't cover your chargebacks. If an agent's first year persistancy falls much under 80% he is going bad unless he doesn't take advances.

----------

Todd, Brad and us actually have no serious tension. We all have as much business as we can handle. Brad's downlines are in heavy recruiting mode. That's where the perception of any tension comes from. It's all just splitting hairs trying to be noticed. Friendly competition is the American way. Everyone trying to be just a little bit better than their competitors is what keeps us all improving. Good for us (all the IMOs) and good for the agents.
Yes I am in heavy recruiting mode, last time I recruited an agent was....never, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply to I've Always Been Curious what a FE Imo Nets 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Final Expense Forum