Karma Can Be a Good Thing Too!

nfl72

Guru
1000 Post Club
A couple weeks ago I had an appointment with a 78 year old man. When I got there he lived in a nice ($250K) home with hardly no lawn at all. I went to the front door, knocked and his wife let me in. We spoke for about 5 minutes, when his wife said he needed to leave because the van was there to pick him up for his Drs. appointment. I was a little set back because I thought it was rude to schedule an apt with me knowing he only had 5 minutes. I almost told him how I felt but decided to just bite my tongue.

As we walked through the garage on our way out I noticed he had a John Deere 318 sitting there all covered up with a little bit of everything. I have been looking to buy one for a rental property I own for about 6 months. I asked him what he was doing with it and he said nothing. My new yard is too small and I just want someone to get it out of my garage.

I called a couple of days later and asked him how much he wanted for the tractor and he again said, "just get it out of my garage". I said I wouldn't feel right doing that and had to give him something for it. He said give me $200 and its yours. BTW, it also needs a starter.

Two days later I showed up with my friend and a trailer to pick it up. In addition to the tractor he had a few attachments including a 50 inch mower deck, a blade, a snow blower, wheel weights and chains. Oh, he also had a shop manual and all other books it came with. He had purchased it new in 1989.

We got it home, hooked up a jumper and it started right up. The moral of the story to me is

"Don't necessarily be in such a hurry to express your displeasure with a person you don't even know. Good things may happen."

To quote Dale Carnegie:

"Never criticize, condemn, or complain"

It's stunning how few people embrace this concept.

There simply is no upside (other than the selfish feeling of venting anger etc) to complaining or criticizing.

Good for you man. Enjoy your new tractor!

A couple weeks ago I had an appointment with a 78 year old man. When I got there he lived in a nice ($250K) home with hardly no lawn at all. I went to the front door, knocked and his wife let me in. We spoke for about 5 minutes, when his wife said he needed to leave because the van was there to pick him up for his Drs. appointment. I was a little set back because I thought it was rude to schedule an apt with me knowing he only had 5 minutes. I almost told him how I felt but decided to just bite my tongue.

As we walked through the garage on our way out I noticed he had a John Deere 318 sitting there all covered up with a little bit of everything. I have been looking to buy one for a rental property I own for about 6 months. I asked him what he was doing with it and he said nothing. My new yard is too small and I just want someone to get it out of my garage.

I called a couple of days later and asked him how much he wanted for the tractor and he again said, "just get it out of my garage". I said I wouldn't feel right doing that and had to give him something for it. He said give me $200 and its yours. BTW, it also needs a starter.

Two days later I showed up with my friend and a trailer to pick it up. In addition to the tractor he had a few attachments including a 50 inch mower deck, a blade, a snow blower, wheel weights and chains. Oh, he also had a shop manual and all other books it came with. He had purchased it new in 1989.

We got it home, hooked up a jumper and it started right up. The moral of the story to me is

"Don't necessarily be in such a hurry to express your displeasure with a person you don't even know. Good things may happen."

Sounds almost as good as a sale.

football did you make the sale? hows the creek been?

To quote Dale Carnegie:

"Never criticize, condemn, or complain"

It's stunning how few people embrace this concept.

There simply is no upside (other than the selfish feeling of venting anger etc) to complaining or criticizing.

Good for you man. Enjoy your new tractor!

So true. Pretty much EVERY time I verbalize something negative, nothing good has happened.

Back