The Lead Jerk Interviews Peter Walker

Peter is a very smart businessman. The smartest people in the world are good at one thing: solving problems.

Peter made a killing selling FE but while he was doing it he found a huge problem: Medicare Advantage is a easy cross sale for a FE agent & very few IMOs are talking about it. Easy way for EFES to separate ourselves from the competition.

So, he learned that side & quickly became our National Trainer for Medicare. Not sure what kind of pay he's getting but I guarantee in a few years he'll be making a lot more than what he was personally producing with FE.

I'm confused.. Why couldn't he sell Medicare Advantage with 360? Even with EFES, can't you sell MA? Obviously he was given an awesome opportunity and took hold of it.

This still baffles me though - A LOT of FE agents talk about poor renewals/residuals.. Then switch over.

----------

How do you sell Medicare for 4 or 5 months and become the National Trainer?What is a national trainer title for a company(Efes) who just entered the Medicare field ? I love titles . Like all the regional directors that have popped up for efes . I think most Fe agents understand their clients have medicare advantage but choose not to sell it. The service work can be horrendous .

I'm not bashing EFES or any other agent/IMO - Ironically though, see all of the regional directors with EFES made me scratch my head - but I pass it off as each agent has their own Statewide territory. IDK. Just seems like everyone's a Regional Director.

"Service work" - I do hear that MS/MA have a tremendous amount of service work involved. "Horrendous" ?? That's subjective considering there's lot's of MA/MS reps making big $ while handling the service work.

What I find ironic is this - I rarely, if ever, have read or heard an interview of someone, who's been successful in MS then decided to switch to FE as their primary. But the reverse happens all the time.. FE to MS/MA

----------

This world is getting stranger and stranger. Long time friends have become warring tribes. Long time enemies have become allies.

I predict that within the next three sundowns the gods from heaven will give us a sign from above that they are not happy. When that happens FexContracting.com is going to toss a virgin girl into a volcano as an offering for the gods. I hope we can all come together to bring peace to this world and please the gods.

"This world is getting stranger and stranger. Long time friends have become warring tribes. Long time enemies have become allies."

Who?

If an agent was with Fex selling FE then decided to sell MS/MA as primary and sprinkle in FE, would he/she have to find another home?

What I find ironic is this - I rarely, if ever, have read or heard an interview of someone, who's been successful in MS then decided to switch to FE as their primary. But the reverse happens all the time.. FE to MS/MA

I don't see that "happens all the time" that a successful FE agent switches over to something else. In fact, I've never seen even long time successful FE agent switch to another field as a lead. I've seen many add in med sups as a cross sell and just pick them up when they fall into them.

It's become popular among some in the last year or so to do that Humana AOR thing but that's a short lived opportunity.

I have seen some successful MA agents switch to FE and become successful at FE. That's pretty rare though. MA is order taking, not selling. It's very hard for those agents to switch to selling. Not just FE, but anything.

I also know many very successful med sups agents that add in FE as a cross sell to their clients. They don't prospect for FE. Just provide it for their current clients.

Renewals for FE are the best in the life insurance business. But new business is the life blood. That's just how it is. It's not a bad thing that renewals are not like health insurance renewals, it's just what it is.

The agents you see switching focus all the time are just looking for a home. They are selling out to the next best thing.

It's like the FE agents switching up leads all the time. You can see it coming on our calls and our groupme chats. An agent will start asking about filters, the wording on the cards, different lead vendors, etc. Then shortly they disappear.

I'll ask Scott what happened to so and so. He'll say, oh, they cut their leads off for a while, {it's always "for a while"}, so they can explore other options.

Then you see them pop up at another IMO if you ever see them again.

This is a hard business. Not just because it's FE but everything else too. The average person cannot work for themselves. They just don't have the discipline to do what's necessary without a boss.

But for the ones that do make it, there is not a better career out there. I'm watching a guy right now that's been with FEX a few months. He's really been struggling. I've had many conversations with him trying to help him but he just kept fighting the system. I thought he was going to be one of the washouts. But something changed with him recently and he started listening and following the system that Travis lays out. The light has come one.

He said yesterday, "this is the easiest job ever".

And there is another key. If an agent wants to succeed in FE then they have to get with someone that can train them. And that trainer has to be someone that has successfully sold FE for a living. Travis said on the call Friday that he has never seen a successful FE agent that was trained by someone that never sold FE for a living. That got me to thinking trying to come up with someone. I can't think of a single agent either that was trained by someone that didn't know this business.

There may be that unicorn out there but I have never heard about them or known about them. And apparently neither has Travis.

Great post JD!

And what you said about MA agents being order takers is exactly right. I've picked up a little knowledge here and there about MA over the years.

Scott even recommended me adding MA years ago. I just wanted someone that I could text, email or call if I had a question on it.

Since taking the AHIP, I've still had to learn a lot, but once you know the basics it is pretty easy.

But what makes Peter the EFES medicare guru, (or whatever his title is) is the fact that the man has lapped the country, in his own car, visiting with agents one on one to help them get started and show how easy it is to add MA to your existing FE business.

He has answered the phone almost anytime I have called and always returns calls/texts promptly. Just this past Friday he spent 45 minutes on the phone with me to help explain a few finer points with me.

That's how I think things should be done. A manager or anyone getting an override off of you should be as accessible as possible. And Peter has proven that is the type of manager he is.

Nobody at EFES is changing their focus from FE to MA, we are just asking a few extra questions to see if we can help put them in a better situation for their health insurance.

For me, I am just grabbing the low hanging fruit. I am signing up dual eligibles that have no MAPD plan at all or AORing the humana prospects.

You wanna talk about easy money?? Get a scope signed, come back in 48 hours (not for long though!), show them the benefits and write them up. AORing is 1000x more simple.

This all from working your existing FE leads. No new lead to buy. Just asking a few extra questions.

EFES has really turned a corner in the last year. You just want to produce? Great, we have set priced leads, great training and support and great comp. You want to recruit and build an agency one day? Ben Boman will teach you all the things he did, right and wrong, so you can do it right. You want to add Medicare to your book? Great, we have a dedicated manager, in Peter Walker, who will come to you and walk you through every aspect of the business.

In my opinion, you can't ask for much more. And yeah, we have Regional Managers that can work with you one on one, who are accessible, to show you how to be successful selling Final Expense.

You can always give us a call and see if we are the right place for you.

How do you sell Medicare for 4 or 5 months and become the National Trainer?What is a national trainer title for a company(Efes) who just entered the Medicare field ? I love titles . Like all the regional directors that have popped up for efes . I think most Fe agents understand their clients have medicare advantage but choose not to sell it. The service work can be horrendous .

Some people care about titles. Others care about their bank accounts. To each their own

Some people care about titles. Others care about their bank accounts. To each their own

In corporate America (especially banking) it's all about climbing the ladder, not present money. One needs to build a fancy resume and you do that with fancy titles, not W-2's.

I don't see that "happens all the time" that a successful FE agent switches over to something else. In fact, I've never seen even long time successful FE agent switch to another field as a lead. I've seen many add in med sups as a cross sell and just pick them up when they fall into them.

It's become popular among some in the last year or so to do that Humana AOR thing but that's a short lived opportunity.

I have seen some successful MA agents switch to FE and become successful at FE. That's pretty rare though. MA is order taking, not selling. It's very hard for those agents to switch to selling. Not just FE, but anything.

I also know many very successful med sups agents that add in FE as a cross sell to their clients. They don't prospect for FE. Just provide it for their current clients.

Renewals for FE are the best in the life insurance business. But new business is the life blood. That's just how it is. It's not a bad thing that renewals are not like health insurance renewals, it's just what it is.

The agents you see switching focus all the time are just looking for a home. They are selling out to the next best thing.

It's like the FE agents switching up leads all the time. You can see it coming on our calls and our groupme chats. An agent will start asking about filters, the wording on the cards, different lead vendors, etc. Then shortly they disappear.

I'll ask Scott what happened to so and so. He'll say, oh, they cut their leads off for a while, {it's always "for a while"}, so they can explore other options.

Then you see them pop up at another IMO if you ever see them again.

This is a hard business. Not just because it's FE but everything else too. The average person cannot work for themselves. They just don't have the discipline to do what's necessary without a boss.

But for the ones that do make it, there is not a better career out there. I'm watching a guy right now that's been with FEX a few months. He's really been struggling. I've had many conversations with him trying to help him but he just kept fighting the system. I thought he was going to be one of the washouts. But something changed with him recently and he started listening and following the system that Travis lays out. The light has come one.

He said yesterday, "this is the easiest job ever".

And there is another key. If an agent wants to succeed in FE then they have to get with someone that can train them. And that trainer has to be someone that has successfully sold FE for a living. Travis said on the call Friday that he has never seen a successful FE agent that was trained by someone that never sold FE for a living. That got me to thinking trying to come up with someone. I can't think of a single agent either that was trained by someone that didn't know this business.

There may be that unicorn out there but I have never heard about them or known about them. And apparently neither has Travis.

so JD what do you consider good training "If an agent wants to succeed in FE then they have to get with someone that can train them." what should someone be looking for? what would be your top 5 questions about training?

Peter is a very smart businessman. The smartest people in the world are good at one thing: solving problems.

Peter made a killing selling FE but while he was doing it he found a huge problem: Medicare Advantage is a easy cross sale for a FE agent & very few IMOs are talking about it. Easy way for EFES to separate ourselves from the competition.

So, he learned that side & quickly became our National Trainer for Medicare. Not sure what kind of pay he's getting but I guarantee in a few years he'll be making a lot more than what he was personally producing with FE.

This post, and its accompanying avatar, tell me to keep as far away as one possibly can from that efes organization.

so JD what do you consider good training "If an agent wants to succeed in FE then they have to get with someone that can train them." what should someone be looking for? what would be your top 5 questions about training?

Only 2 questions. Have you ever sold FE for a living?

Do you still sell FE for a living?

I'm confused.. Why couldn't he sell Medicare Advantage with 360? Even with EFES, can't you sell MA? Obviously he was given an awesome opportunity and took hold of it.

This still baffles me though - A LOT of FE agents talk about poor renewals/residuals.. Then switch over.

----------

I'm not bashing EFES or any other agent/IMO - Ironically though, see all of the regional directors with EFES made me scratch my head - but I pass it off as each agent has their own Statewide territory. IDK. Just seems like everyone's a Regional Director.

"Service work" - I do hear that MS/MA have a tremendous amount of service work involved. "Horrendous" ?? That's subjective considering there's lot's of MA/MS reps making big $ while handling the service work.

----------

"This world is getting stranger and stranger. Long time friends have become warring tribes. Long time enemies have become allies."

Who?

If an agent was with Fex selling FE then decided to sell MS/MA as primary and sprinkle in FE, would he/she have to find another home?

1. A number of our agents sell Ms and MA.
2. I have a huge personal base (over 1,000) of local to me Medicare clients I've developed over the past 10 years. These are sales. Not Humana flip overs.
3. We supply the CSG Medicare quoters to all of our agents at no cost.
4. We supply our agents with set cost Med Sup leads at $21 each for ages 66-79 and incomes $25,000 and up and teach them how to easily cross sell FE from these leads.

So...what was your question again?

Last edited:
My mistake. You stole him from Spur right?

There was an opportunity given to Peter to immediately have access & make an override on 1000 agents on the Medicare side of the business. That opportunity was taken. Now all of a sudden there is a "Medicare Craze" but few will actually profit significantly from it.

There are some on here that have forgotten more about Medicare than most "Medicare Mentors" know.

Back