Lets Get to Some Facts About Telesales

digfesales105

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ohio
I see all the back and forth about this subject. The "veterans" vs everyone else. Well, this Thread is going to set the record straight.

1. I own my own company so if that makes me a "marketer" or "recruiter" well then...I am. But in my eyes...I'm a business owner. I help others with employment and with growing their own company. All business owners make money off of those who work for them. Some stay. Some leave. Some are happy. Others blame their failures on someone else. Namely...the boss. This is America. You ALL work for a "marketer" or "recruiter".

Nothing wrong with it. If you have a problem with it...most likely, you can't manage people. You failed. Nothing wrong with it. It's life.

2. Telesales can be done just as well as field sales. The facts are simple. As time goes on, more and more carriers are offering Telesales as part of their portfolio. Those who can't understand that the industry IS changing will have a rude awakening within the next 5 years.

3. MOST veteran agents CAN NOT do telesales. They lack the discipline and determination. Not because they don't work hard. Because they NEED to be active. Active like jumping in their car and driving to their territory. Once there, it's harder to be "distracted". So it's easier to stay busy and knock doors. Door knocking works.

4. Veteran agents need to be independent and can't handle going to an office "feeling" like they have a boss or someone telling how to work. Another reason why they can't do telesales.

5. A successful telesales agent is most likely working in a Call Center. That is also why you never see any talk on here. They don't waste their time. There is no reason for a true telesales agent to get on here. They are either hourly, salary or getting free leads so jumping in on here is simply asking for a about 4 or 5 vets on here to have a feast. This is coming direct from those agents. Not even MY OWN agents will get on here. They HATE the BS and simply don't see the benefit of the fighting when they know it's working for them.

6. To be successful in telesales...you need the RIGHT LEAD. Telesales is near impossible to succeed with direct mail leads. Most carriers/co's can't or don't offer the proper lead. Just like internet leads suck for Final Expense sales. They don't generate the right customer.

7. Telesales is a "mindset". If there is any part of an agents mind that doubts the success of it...they WILL fail. It is very difficult to get into in the beginning. But once they get their practice down...they are off and running.

8. Customers DO give up bank accounts.

9. Customers DO answer the phone. But like dorr knocking, you must call a few times, sell a few times and close a few times.

10. Customers cancel. Just as much as in the field. They want stuff mailed to them. Just like in the field. They "don't allow anyone into their bank account". Just like in the field. They change their mind. Just like in the field. There are "bad agents" who write bad business or coach. Just like in the field. There are chargebacks. Just like in the field. There is agent turn over. JUST like in the field. I'll say this though....less turn over in telesales call center than field sales.

I think this is a good start and I need to get going to my imaginary office with imaginary telesales agents and make some imaginary money. Because I'm the only one in my company making any money at telesales. Even though I have no agents working for me doing it.

Now....lets try and keep this Thread mature so it doesn't disappear into that ridiculous Fight Club please???

What is the average tele-sale agent in your office making and how many are working there? Do you pay yours hourly or are they on 100% commission. I'm not trying to stir the pot but I am curious if agents can actually be successful doing this. Nobody has been able to show any proof that it is successful...

What is the average tele-sale agent in your office making and how many are working there? Do you pay yours hourly or are they on 100% commission. I'm not trying to stir the pot but I am curious if agents can actually be successful doing this. Nobody has been able to show any proof that it is successful...

If you're in IN, take a Friday and drive over. See, no matter what I say, it won't be "true". But to answer your question...in my office I have 5 agents. We just starts a huge campaign so we will double that by the end of March. But I have about 15 agents actually selling on a weekly basis. Not all doing telesales.

But in my office, my agents average 2500-3000 of 25-30 leads a week.

If you're in IN, take a Friday and drive over. See, no matter what I say, it won't be "true". But to answer your question...in my office I have 5 agents. We just starts a huge campaign so we will double that by the end of March. But I have about 15 agents actually selling on a weekly basis. Not all doing telesales.

But in my office, my agents average 2500-3000 of 25-30 leads a week.

I'm not focused on FE so I don't really want to drive over there. I was just wanting to know how many tele-sales agents you have and how much they were making commission wise. If they are selling 2500-3000 a week that is phenomenal, but are they making good money? I have no reason not to believe you. I bought some leads off you once and had great success with them so I know your agents should be doing well with them...

I'm not focused on FE so I don't really want to drive over there. I was just wanting to know how many tele-sales agents you have and how much they were making commission wise. If they are selling 2500-3000 a week that is phenomenal, but are they making good money? I have no reason not to believe you. I bought some leads off you once and had great success with them so I know your agents should be doing well with them...

I meant the drive over more so some on here can out eyes on it instead of ears. Not so much to recruit.

Right now they are on 80% plus. But we switched to free leads so I lowered the comp. now they get 30 plus new leads every week. If you bought my leads, then you know that's a great deal! They will now get 30-50 of my leads a week for free.

I meant the drive over more so some on here can out eyes on it instead of ears. Not so much to recruit.

Right now they are on 80% plus. But we switched to free leads so I lowered the comp. now they get 30 plus new leads every week. If you bought my leads, then you know that's a great deal! They will now get 30-50 of my leads a week for free.

That doesn't sound like a bad deal for a new agent considering the quality of your leads IF you can keep producing that many at the quality they were when I had them. There isn't much risk for the agent either since you mainly write for one company. I assume you don't make them sign up for every company out there. They could get out at anytime if it isn't working out.
I have never understood why an agent would want to focus primarily on FE. The renewals suck to be honest. I know I'll be making more this year than last year. FE agents have to sell about the same amount every year to keep their income up. So it's definitely not for me but I would like to get to the bottom of this FE telesales debate that consumes this forum.

That doesn't sound like a bad deal for a new agent considering the quality of your leads IF you can keep producing that many at the quality they were when I had them. There isn't much risk for the agent either since you mainly write for one company. I assume you don't make them sign up for every company out there. They could get out at anytime if it isn't working out.
I have never understood why an agent would want to focus primarily on FE. The renewals suck to be honest. I know I'll be making more this year than last year. FE agents have to sell about the same amount every year to keep their income up. So it's definitely not for me but I would like to get to the bottom of this FE telesales debate that consumes this forum.

We write 2-3 carriers depending. Renewals suck?

FE renewals suck!! I agree.

I've asked company marketers if they have a back end loaded commission contract. No is the answer every time.

I do FE for its simplicity, there's no claim work (not like Medd Supps), few phone calls, etc.

FE renewals suck!! I agree.

I've asked company marketers if they have a back end loaded commission contract. No is the answer every time.

I do FE for its simplicity, there's no claim work (not like Medd Supps), few phone calls, etc.

I rarely have any claim work with med supps. Maybe 1 a year. The biggest PIA is dealing with PDP plans...

Back