My SECOND Day in the Field Selling Final Expense

Think you are both right.. but You should treat it as a job first before you get to be someone who sits back and let the business run itself. If you don't aspire to be an "owner" ... you need to get to the "owner" side so that you're not always chasing the next sale. You let your business processes (or support staff) do that for you automatically.

What Louis said can be taken another way, that many business owners work more than 40 hours in a week.

As a business owner, you really should hire people and put systems in place that it can run without you. But it also takes work and time to get there, and many never do. Either they aren't hiring the right people, don't have the right systems, haven't grown big enough, or are simply unwilling to give up control.

Finally, success is relative.

There are many who just want to pay the bills and be able to coach their children's sport teams. Others want to put up a huge income and have all the fancy toys.

Very few make it in this industry because they want "freedom". There is nothing more the opposite of freedom than being a 1099 salesperson responsible for your own marketing. You have to live and breath you're business. Anything short of that, at least when you get started, will significantly increase your failure rate.

If you want "freedom", get a job and leave your responsibilities at the office at 5pm.

Another phrase I've heard recently about running businesses in general. In the beginning your working "ON" the business, improving it, getting a market down, setting up an approach, refining, and etc.

After the business gets going you start working "IN" your business rather than on it. Answer phone calls, emails, running to that next appointment and etc. I feel like Vol hit on this point a little already. But that next step where the business starts to run itself is only started when you begin to put in an investment and moving to working "ON" your business rather than just "IN" it.

Setting time aside to do that is crucial. I find it even more important when you have partners in your business.

Very few make it in this industry because they want "freedom". There is nothing more the opposite of freedom than being a 1099 salesperson responsible for your own marketing. You have to live and breath you're business. Anything short of that, at least when you get started, will significantly increase your failure rate.

If you want "freedom", get a job and leave your responsibilities at the office at 5pm.
For some of us though the "freedom" is to be able to work HOW we want. Not freedom to take more days off.

The freedom was a huge factor to me. But I am a workaholic. Freedom to me meant everybody get out of my way.

I think the problem here is: most of you guys are approaching it as a full time, be successful, sell a bunch, make bunch, type of deal. from what I gather, max is not. I am not also. A lot of folks try it par time. But, you guys are also correct in telling people it doesn't work part time. well, I think it's probably true, for the most part. especially with the business model you guys are used to. but I think it can work part time as the "retired guy's model".

I started out part time. Granted my wife had a good stream of income. Now she's coming home after the birth of our girl here in a couple weeks. It can be done.

Oh and sorry I missed your call today Adam. Give me a ring tomorrow.

Back