New Agent in Chicago/Illinois

I believe that was Spur City who struggled there. I lived there once upon a time and the people are very friendly there, especially for such a large city. The demographics seem good for FE, as well. It would be interesting to get some insights from Spur, who by all accounts is a rock star FE guy, as to what his specific challenges were. Again, from afar, Chicago looks like very fertile ground.:confused:

Yep, being the murder capital of the U.S., I'd think there would be some interest in FE. :yes:

You might want to concentrate on the South Side of Chicago...wear a bullet proof vest. :swoon:

Yep, being the murder capital of the U.S., I'd think there would be some interest in FE. :yes:

You might want to concentrate on the South Side of Chicago...wear a bullet proof vest. :swoon:

Yeah, the only challenge he really mentioned was driving in the snow, which makes sense for a guy who hails from San Antonio.:laugh: I would go into the South Side, but I'm used to environments like that and I ain't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed.:no: With that said, what about black suburbs south of Chicago like Harvey. So much territory to choose from there, the South Side wouldn't be necessary.

p.s.- You do need to be careful, though. A debit agent got mugged and murdered fairly recently here in Philly and another salesman recently got mugged and beat up pretty bad in broad daylight up in N. Philly (you can catch that one on youtube).:eek:

Last edited:
Yeah, the only challenge he really mentioned was driving in the snow, which makes sense for a giy who hails from San Antonio.:laugh: I would go into the South Side, but I'm used to environments like that and I ain't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed.:no: With that said, what about black suburbs south of Chicago like Harvey. So much territory to choose from there, the South Side wouldn't be necessary.

p.s.- You do need to be careful, though. A debit agent got mugged and murdered fairly recently here in Philly and another salesman recently got mugged and beat up pretty bad in broad daylight up in N. Philly (you can catch that one on youtube).:eek:

Is it any wonder that Insurance agents are carrying?

A few years ago all 4 of my kids lived up there in the Western Suburbs, and I was up there a lot. All of them have moved out of there now..thank God.

I'd hate to try and work up there. The traffic alone would make me stay away. I hadn't been up there for a few years, and spent a couple of days up there in September doing some sight seeing. I don't care if I ever go back.

I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago and that's close enough for me.

Yeah, the only challenge he really mentioned was driving in the snow, which makes sense for a guy who hails from San Antonio.:laugh: I would go into the South Side, but I'm used to environments like that and I ain't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed.:no: With that said, what about black suburbs south of Chicago like Harvey. So much territory to choose from there, the South Side wouldn't be necessary.

Yea, I actually worked leads in Harvey, Il. That was a GREAT spot for FE. It's far enough away from the section 8 ghettos of Chicago and prime FE real-estate.

I'm Texas born & raised and Chicago got hit with its coldest winter in OVER 40 yrs., just my luck. My normal working vehicle was totally useless and incapable of tracking that terrain. Had to use our AWD vehicle which left my wife stranded most of the day and unhappy.

Also, too many Union member for my liking. Small add-ons is all I seemed to manage since a lot of them already had life insurance through their Union.

The surrounding areas of Chicago was what kept us afloat. Wisconsin and Indiana kept me and my family fed well. We would have all been very skinny if I kept working inner-city Chicago. The gang member hanging on the streets ALL DAY LONG was just the icing on the cake.

It's been 3 years on the dot that we moved back to Texas to start my own Agency, so my memory on the ordeal has faded. However, I remember enough to know I HATED the Chicago FE market. It's been LOVELY to be back home but I wouldn't change the experiences.

Sometime we have to take 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward!

Is it any wonder that Insurance agents are carrying?

A few years ago all 4 of my kids lived up there in the Western Suburbs, and I was up there a lot. All of them have moved out of there now..thank God.

I'd hate to try and work up there. The traffic alone would make me stay away. I hadn't been up there for a few years, and spent a couple of days up there in September doing some sight seeing. I don't care if I ever go back.

I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago and that's close enough for me.

You sound like my mentor. I asked why he headed so far out all the time. Was it because the people are friendlier, etc? He said some of that. But his real reason? Traffic!:laugh:
Yea, I actually worked leads in Harvey, Il. That was a GREAT spot for FE. It's far enough away from the section 8 ghettos of Chicago and prime FE real-estate.

I'm Texas born & raised and Chicago got hit with its coldest winter in OVER 40 yrs., just my luck. My normal working vehicle was totally useless and incapable of tracking that terrain. Had to use our AWD vehicle which left my wife stranded most of the day and unhappy.

Also, too many Union member for my liking. Small add-ons is all I seemed to manage since a lot of them already had life insurance through their Union.

The surrounding areas of Chicago was what kept us afloat. Wisconsin and Indiana kept me and my family fed well. We would have all been very skinny if I kept working inner-city Chicago. The gang member hanging on the streets ALL DAY LONG was just the icing on the cake.

It's been 3 years on the dot that we moved back to Texas to start my own Agency, so my memory on the ordeal has faded. However, I remember enough to know I HATED the Chicago FE market. It's been LOVELY to be back home but I wouldn't change the experiences.

Sometime we have to take 1 step back in order to take 2 steps forward!

I hear ya. The county I live in is heavily union. I did a med supp mailing years ago and got a great response. Nonetheless, it was rough and I got my rear end handed to me (doors slammed in my face, the whole bit). Lesson learned.:swoon:

p.s.- Nothing against unions as with my friends and neighbors, I am surrounded by union people. Just hard to sell folks who are already taken care of like you said and hate salesmen and insurance companies, to boot.. Even my union friends love to bust my balls.:laugh:

Hi all,

Don't see much talk about Chicago area/Illinois on this forum for final expense. I've passed my licensing and am researching IMO's. Are any more preferable for someone in my location (Chicago area) Also, I don't really have an idea what location/zip codes to target so hoping for IMO that can give guidance.

Background. 43 years old. Self Starter, good overall sales experience, have worked commission only/1099 in past. Getting ready to take the leap. I'm willing to invest in leads and am coachable.

I'm likely going to join any one of the main IMO's that market here, I just want to see if one is more preferable to another based on my situation/location.

Thanks all

Fishy

Hey Fishy,

I'm also in Chicago and in the exact same situation that you were once in. How has your experience selling FE been so far? Which company did you end up going with?

Thanks

Why do you have to be out of the field when it snows? Had an 18 to 20 inch snowstorm my first winter in final expense. Put on a pair of work boots an extra layer found a parking spot and sold 3000 of premium because everybody was home.

I'd contact Adam Brsan from security national life. He's a regional manager for them but personally produces daily in the Chicago/ NW Indiana area.[/QUOTE

What kind of experience do you have working with him or Security National Life?

I'd contact Adam Brsan from security national life. He's a regional manager for them but personally produces daily in the Chicago/ NW Indiana area.[/QUOTE

What kind of experience do you have working with him or Security National Life?

I've always thought Adam was a good dude. Not many "regional managers" that work directly for the company actually produce and know the issues you are dealing with.

Back