New Agent Tips?

Lalyt93

I will be finished training with a fairly decent agent in a week and will be carrying around 12 companies I am just curious as to what other agents are doing as far as leads everyone in my group purchases leads from the same source (as to which I have no clue) but from what ive seen they are far from reliable id say 5 per 25 would be people actually interested is this a common percentage? They are costing around 23$ per lead is this fair? Im curious as to what other agents out there are using any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Last edited:
I will be finished training with a fairly decent agent in a week and will be carrying around 12 companies I am just curious as to what other agents are doing as far as leads everyone in my group purchases leads from the same source (as to which I have no clue) but from what ive seen they are far from reliable id say 5 per 25 would be people actually interested is this a common percentage? They are costing around 23$ per lead is this fair? Im curious as to what other agents out there are using any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance

It sounds like your group locked you in with every carrier they could find so that when it comes time for you to leave and they so "no, we won't release you", you'll be a hostage STUCK at a lower commission level than you might be worth... and with nowhere to run to!

It's best if you deal directly with your lead vendor. $23 is a decent price but not if YOU can't deal directly with the mail house. Often (but not always) if your upline doesn't disclose the source of leads to you they are mixing in older pre-worked leads along with the A-leads. This is very common.

As long as you have the freedom to leave and take your companies with you, it's no problem having so many companies tied up. But if you failed to pro-actively get an iron-clad release agreement up front, it's very unlikely they will ever agree to a release. That's the worst and most common mistake new agents make.

You can call any direct mail house and do your own mail drops. In most areas your leads will cost you between $20-25 each. But a YOU will have full control over them. Not your up line agent and that's very important for your success and your independence.

No "fairly decent" agent would start you out with 12 companies when you don't know sh!t.

That's the first sign that you need to get outta there.

If you don't have a release, what you can do is only write for a couple ( companies a,b )of the companies your contracted with for the next year. Then move your contracts for some (companies c,d) of the ones you have never used. Once that's done use them (c,d)until a and b can be moved, which will probably be a year from your last app sign date.

JD is right that getting you contracted with so many companies is senseless. You won't use but a couple anyway. I see this from major FMO a lot. They are so big that they always have a company coming in to educate their agents on their products then they get everyone to contract. Most of the agents won't ever write a single piece of business. In your case you may have gotten in with a smaller IMO group that needs to hold on to every agent for dear life

Last edited:
The fact is, I don't care if they have him with 50 companies. If he figures out they are not good for him, we can always find more good companies for him to sell. He can get away any time he wants to.

People are only trapped if they buy into it.

The fact is, I don't care if they have him with 50 companies. If he figures out they are not good for him, we can always find more good companies for him to sell. He can get away any time he wants to. People are only trapped if they buy into it.
i agree. I have 4 carriers but only use 1 for over 60 and another that is not final expense for 59 and under. Plus my renter insurance that is independent mutual fire company.

The fact is, I don't care if they have him with 50 companies. If he figures out they are not good for him, we can always find more good companies for him to sell. He can get away any time he wants to.

People are only trapped if they buy into it.

True, I agree there is probably a couple decent companies you could find.

I have not come across this but what if he never writes a piece of business. Does he still have to wait a year before he can move

Back