Paper Applications VS Phone Applications

Bod

Expert
What are the pros and cons of both in your opinion? Which do you prefer?

To me, it seems like paper applications have the edge. Every time you do a phone interview, it adds about twenty minutes onto your appointment. That's a lot!

Sure, you know if they're approved right away, but if you did your job, wouldn't you be fairly sure they're going to be approved anyway via the paper app as long as you're going with predictable carriers?

To me, it seems like paper applications have the edge. Every time you do a phone interview, it adds about twenty minutes onto your appointment. That's a lot!

Sure, you know if they're approved right away, but if you did your job, wouldn't you be fairly sure they're going to be approved anyway via the paper app as long as you're going with predictable carriers?
You don't know if there lying to you about something until you do the POS.

Saves time by not having to find out later.

Most companies require a phone interview even if you are taking a paper app. If they also offer a phone app, you might as well use that.

if you did your job, wouldn't you be fairly sure they're going to be approved anyway via the paper app as long as you're going with predictable carriers?

You don't sell much do you? You obviously never sent a paper app in to a carrier that declined them and left you scratching your head, because after all your fact finding they were turned down for something they didn't even tell you.

Always write with a carrier that does a POS approval. Has nothing to do with "doing your job", no way to know that they took a drug for 1 week 22 months ago that they forgot about.

You don't sell much do you? You obviously never sent a paper app in to a carrier that declined them and left you scratching your head, because after all your fact finding they were turned down for something they didn't even tell you.

Always write with a carrier that does a POS approval. Has nothing to do with "doing your job", no way to know that they took a drug for 1 week 22 months ago that they forgot about.

Plenty of people prefer completing a paper app. I believe Mr. Duford is one.

Plenty of people prefer completing a paper app. I believe Mr. Duford is one.

I am one of those too. I can't stand telephone interviews. But you do have to be prepared to go back out to a house from time to time. So if you worked rural counties, driving hours from home, using POS carriers only make sense.

I work Indy which is just 30 min north of me 100% of the time. All my leads are within 20 minutes of each other.

If you're a good field underwriter and really dig at the drugs the client takes not more than 1 out of 20 or 30 will come back other than applied for.Most of the one's i've got suprised on over the yrs are from the client not telling me about aricept. Makes sense.Since many times you don't know why a company declined a client on a Pos how do you what company to write?

Foresters and settlers will imply what the issue was which will allow you to pivot to another carrier easier.

I was just talking about this yesterday with some other agent friends. When I take a debit app, there's no phone interview. The simplified app takes about 5 minutes to fill out vs 30-45 minutes total for a phone app (between taking down their info and doing the actual phone interview). The only declines or rate-ups I ever get on the debit are those I'm already expecting due to a borderline health condition. Those are cases where I'm applying on the chance they might be accepted, and have already prepared the client for the possibility of needing a GI plan if they're rejected. During the interview I stress the importance of being completely truthful on the app by telling them about a couple of my rescinded cases (which I don't get very many). It seems like most people are convinced enough to be honest with me.

On the other hand, with the phone app or POS, it's nice to hang up the phone & tell the client they're already approved!

The pros are getting an answer. But the answer is not always the final answer so that's a huge con.

I prefer to not do phone interviews but more and more companies are using them now.

With most you still do a paper app. I like the ones that give me an option of not doing the interview so that I can move on if I'm short on time. KSKJ and Trinity and RNA have that option. But they will all call later if you don't do it. I much prefer to be there is there is going to be an interview.

The voice sig apps are different that what you are asking. Or it seems to be different.

I hate the voice apps with all companies. They do not save the agent time. They save the company time. I've done RNA voice apps that took almost an hour. The shortest with them has been 27-28 minutes. That's ridiculous.

maybe if an agent runs one or two appointments in a day and has time to sit there with the client and have lunch and dinner with them the voice app process is fine and dandy?

The best situation I've had in this business was with RNA before they did the voice app and only did a paper app and a phone interview. They had an "elite agent" program where, if you were one of those, you could skip the phone interview and they would not call them later either. Their phone interview then took less than 10 minutes so I did them most times. It was still nice to not have to do it when I didn't have time or just didn't want to do it.

If I were designing a system for agents that would be the model.

Back