Rural Areas or Big Cities?

Funguy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
In order to succeed in sales a person has to travel quite a lot. My question is, in order to be very successful when selling Final Expense Whole Life Insurance is there more opportunity in the rural areas or in the big cities?
1)When you guys order direct mail leads or Tele-marketed Leads which areas do you receive better responses?
2)Does the persistency remain the same or does it vary when you have clients in the big cities compared to your clients in the rural areas?

Thanks in advance,

Funguy

In order to succeed in sales a person has to travel quite a lot. My question is, in order to be very successful when selling Final Expense Whole Life Insurance is there more opportunity in the rural areas or in the big cities?
1)When you guys order direct mail leads or Tele-marketed Leads which areas do you receive better responses?
2)Does the persistency remain the same or does it vary when you have clients in the big cities compared to your clients in the rural areas?

Thanks in advance,

Funguy

Why do you have to travel a lot? Or maybe define "lot".

I drive between 25,000 and 30,000 miles a year and never stay overnight for work reasons. Never more than 75-80 miles from home.

As for the question of which is better, rural or the city? Yes!

In order to succeed in sales a person has to travel quite a lot. My question is, in order to be very successful when selling Final Expense Whole Life Insurance is there more opportunity in the rural areas or in the big cities? 1)When you guys order direct mail leads or Tele-marketed Leads which areas do you receive better responses? 2)Does the persistency remain the same or does it vary when you have clients in the big cities compared to your clients in the rural areas? Thanks in advance, Funguy

Agentguy5 may chime in on this one, but he was struggling big time when he was prospecting in the city, when he moved outward his sales soared! Reason is that in the city there were many more gated communities which made it hard to doorknock, also people were more snobby in the city.
As for me, I'm blessed that i live in a city but it's still considered a "small" city, with very few gated communities. The farthest i drive is 10-15 miles from home.
So guess it just all depends......

Amber

People in rural areas are more open and easier to deal with.

Agentguy5 may chime in on this one, but he was struggling big time when he was prospecting in the city, when he moved outward his sales soared! Reason is that in the city there were many more gated communities which made it hard to doorknock, also people were more snobby in the city.
As for me, I'm blessed that i live in a city but it's still considered a "small" city, with very few gated communities. The farthest i drive is 10-15 miles from home.
So guess it just all depends......

Amber

Yep, you're in "FE Heaven" compared to me. I'm right in the middle between Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Not the easiest areas to prospect!

Why do you have to travel a lot? Or maybe define "lot".

I drive between 25,000 and 30,000 miles a year and never stay overnight for work reasons. Never more than 75-80 miles from home.

As for the question of which is better, rural or the city? Yes!

Working with a bunch of agents in all areas, the bottom line is, "it depends."

However, I like playing the odds in my favor, especially with a new agent starting, and the best way to do that is to go rural/small town.

Urban areas for most agents have a generally-larger amount of:

-No-shows (40% to 50% instead of 20% to 25% average)
-DE Cards (historically worst persistency and high indication of poverty-mindset)
-Lapses/Not Takens/Drop Offs

Much of this can be reduced significantly if one works rural/small town areas, as those in the country BS less and show more respect to strangers and the time they spend visiting them.

Yep, you're in "FE Heaven" compared to me. I'm right in the middle between Ft Lauderdale and Miami. Not the easiest areas to prospect!

Since you have worked in a city and in the rural areas. What are the differences you have seen when it comes to interacting with people in the rural areas, better response rates etc, more friendly?

Is there also less competition when working in rural areas?

Funguy

----------

Working with a bunch of agents in all areas, the bottom line is, "it depends."

However, I like playing the odds in my favor, especially with a new agent starting, and the best way to do that is to go rural/small town.

Urban areas for most agents have a generally-larger amount of:

-No-shows (40% to 50% instead of 20% to 25% average)
-DE Cards (historically worst persistency and high indication of poverty-mindset)
-Lapses/Not Takens/Drop Offs

Much of this can be reduced significantly if one works rural/small town areas, as those in the country BS less and show more respect to strangers and the time they spend visiting them.

Thanks for the detailed response Rearden.

Since you have worked in a city and in the rural areas. What are the differences you have seen when it comes to interacting with people in the rural areas, better response rates etc, more friendly?

Is there also less competition when working in rural areas?

Funguy

----------

Thanks for the detailed response Rearden.

What Reardon said + something I find true about "City Folks"

Lots of traffic, hustle and bustle... tons of people selling stuff... ESPECIALLY insurance!

City People have a WALL up about a mile high. They know how to get rid of sales people and can smell an insurance agent a mile away....

Therefore, as far as people in the city are concerned, I am just another guy, there trying to sell them something they probably already have or don't want...

Back