Security national insurance

Does anyone think it's strange for an insurance company to have brokers and captive agents?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if they have a captive team, would they allow those agents to write some of our terminated customers?

It's not strange as in unusual, but it is strange that they allow both. And yes, I'm sure they would send captive agents out to orphaned/terminated clients if they have the ability in place to do it. Some companies will and some don't mess with it.

... I've listened to a few calls and they repeatedly say, "we are employees of the company ... They have a lead program as well ...

FYI: the regional, and up, SNL company men I've met consider a mailing list with some phone numbers on it to be "leads." Especially on the preneed side. Go doorknock, fill out the "Gift of Love" with the folks, and write some contracts.

One thing to be aware of is the release can be an issue for agents who go direct to SNL. There is something about their set up when you go under one of their salaried guys that they do not release your SNL contract if you later go independent. You will have to cancel the contract entirely and then wait it out if you want to move it elsewhere.

We have run into that several times.

I discussed this with Tommy Overton this week and found out I posted this with incorrect info. Agents who are direct to SNL ARE allowed to move to an IMO if they request it unless they have unsecured debt balances. That's fair and is the right way to do it.

I stand corrected.

I can confirm. I signed up direct to SNL when I first switched over to the FE side. I almost went out of business during that time paying 2x the price per lead for leads that were already worked & had no income or age filters.

Right before I ran out of money I decided to put my training in place with internet marketing. I threw up an ad and sold the first few leads that came in. With that closing percentage I thought I was going to be an over night millionaire. LOL.

Shortly after I realized my upline was doing nothing to deserve a 30% override since I quit my DM order so I moved my RNA contract to Ben. Somehow he convinced me to move the SNL over while we were at it.

I need to develop a southern drawl ;)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Biggin
Ahhhh, the good ole days. I remember when I first got started and even before I was with efes I used to write a lot of Motorists life. True graded (35%/70%/100%) I can't remember if they had a rate increase or a tightening of underwriting but I quit writing them for some reason. When you mention "graded" to a new agent they are thinking ROP. Would be nice to get graded back.
SNL's graded IS graded in some states. Arkansas for example is not 2 year ROP. That's probably why it's called graded and not modified...who knows.

I also started out with Motorists about 8 years ago. I used them for about 4 months. I stopped using them after three or 4 got replaced by Foresters. I couldn't beat them so I joined them.

Foresters had them beat by about 15% at the time. They also were notorious for making mistakes with underwriting and pay dates etc.
------------------------------------

----------

As far as SNL goes. I have been writing with them for three years. I consider them to be a very class act. They will work with you when needed and they make decisions in underwriting in a very timely fashion. I sent them one Monday morning around 10 am and it was approved in a couple of hours.

You won't find a better company with quality managers like Boyles and Overton- Those 2 are 2nd to none- And the front office is awesome- you call them and they pickup in like 3 seconds.. try that with TransAmerica... holy crap.. that company will put you on hold for 30 minutes before they pickup... and forget trying to get through on a monday.. .I once called on a monday.. was 8th in line.. put the phone down.. drove 1 mile to the range, shot a couple of buckets of balls, drove back and picked up the phone and I was 6th in line.. true story

Unfortunately for me- here in Florida I run across a lot of insulin and COPD clients- If SNL would give standard to COPD and make their standard rates competitive with TA they'd corner the market... Wish they would get rid of the $40 non comm per app as well... Soon as I get done writing this last batch of leads I'm going back to writing SNL- I do have an obligation to my clients to get them the best rate and even though I put some of my clients with COPD through SNL in the past- I can't do that anymore.... I did them a disservice - And found many of them were replaced by agents that came in after me....

It's competitive here in Florida.. you better have first day coverage and the best rates or your business will be replaced in 3 months- and that does me nor SNL any good-

Here in TN i have the same issue. It's 1st day coverage or get replaced. Plus, best rates or get replaced. Drives me insane

just for clarification your talking COPD and not on Oxygen aren't you. If they are on Oxygen I do use SNL. Will someone out there buy Oxygen use level, same day coverage?

Latest posts

Back