Selling Final Expense Policies

fdahl82

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Does saling this product require the health ins license? I haven't taken my exam, but was planning on only taking the life portion of the state exam vs. both life and health. And worry later about the health portion, given Prime doesn't offer this service

Might as well do both. If you are selling Final Expense, you will also have the opportunity to sell Medicare Supplements (needs a health license). If Prime truly doesn't offer this, let me know and I will get you hooked up with a Medicare Supplement that you can carry with you. However, I can't imagine Prime doesn't have a Med Supp... that wouldn't make much sense.

The only thing that Prime offers, that the Health license is need for is LTC, and from my understanding, it's not a large market for them. Therefore, I have not been able to receive much information on the product, so I don't even know what types, age, etc of clients I would market this to! I'm not even sure of the commission on it!!! :no:

Might as well do both. If you are selling Final Expense, you will also have the opportunity to sell Medicare Supplements (needs a health license). If Prime truly doesn't offer this, let me know and I will get you hooked up with a Medicare Supplement that you can carry with you. However, I can't imagine Prime doesn't have a Med Supp... that wouldn't make much sense.

The only thing that Prime offers, that the Health license is need for is LTC, and from my understanding, it's not a large market for them. Therefore, I have not been able to receive much information on the product, so I don't even know what types, age, etc of clients I would market this to! I'm not even sure of the commission on it!!! :no:

I strongly suggest you do a search on the forum the company your choosing and please keep in mind that most of the comments are from people with no vested interest, UNLIKE your recruiters.

You've been warned.....................

Last edited:
Primerica does not have a final expense policy. They do not write many seniors. I forget the age cut off. I have a couple of VPs that send me all the older clients.

Do us a favor, and give something back to the forum, ask them if you can write a 65 yr old and a 70 yr old. If so how much and for what term period. Then let us know.

You are smart to do the research before you sign a non compete with them.

Does saling this product require the health ins license? I haven't taken my exam, but was planning on only taking the life portion of the state exam vs. both life and health. And worry later about the health portion, given Prime doesn't offer this service

Sailing requires an "i" in the word and a boat!:D

:arghh: really, spelling cracks? as if you didn't know what i meant?

Sailing requires an "i" in the word and a boat!:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I can almost positively say (though not 100%) that if I were to attempt to write someone of that age, that he would either 1) have ridiculously HIGH premiums or 2) would not be 'insurable'. I will say this, of course my policy was one of the first the we were writing, we first attempted to put my fiance as the primary, and me with the spousal rider. He was declined, because he has in the past been rx'd with bi-polar, although in the last 1 1/2 years there has not been a renewal (current), if you will, of that rx, nor had he been medicated. At the time the underwriters called him, he told them this, and they declined him, and sent him a letter stating that they would need a copy of his med records, to reconsider. Our monthly prem. would have been $59, with 100k on him, 60k on me, and 10k on each of the kids (4).

With that said... is it really that hard to get someone with a mental rx covered?

Also, obviously everyone knows Prime is against WL. Though I know people in our base shop have attempted to replace some WL policies, they have told the client DO NOT cancel your policy, until the new one issues, because there were concerns on insure-ability.

This is what has been told to us about WL. The first 3-4 years, there is no cash value. When the client is getting older, the cash value starts going down, because while their premiums (that they pay monthly) are staying at whatever they were in the beginning, the actual premium has gone up, so it gets depleted from the CV, and once CV is gone they get "the letter" saying they owe X amount to keep their policy in force.

At this point I am uberly CONFUSED! While I have chalked it up to Prime being, maybe not good, but a stepping stone for the beginning, I am obviously second guessing myself. I don't think going independent right out of the gate would be a wise decision for me. So what other options do I have?

A few things that I like about Prime...
*electronic (phone/pda program) quoter and apps.
*we get paid fairly quickly. the week of or after the home office rec. the app.
*field trainer to go with to appts. (yes i know, duh, because he is actually writing the policies, however, he will go with after I am licensed as well, but I will be writing the policies)
*training- be it only on 'one' product, term, but still training none the less.

Some things I am having a hard time understanding. It can't be better to only write one app on a family, with the spouse as a rider can it? dependent on the rider, the policy disappears on the other spouse, should something happen to one of them. This can't be a good thing, right??
Is WL easier for a client to get? I guess that I don't understand where you would suggest either whole or term to a client. because of course, we're being told that, term is the way to go 100% of the time.... but what if it's not? how do you know that?

Primerica does not have a final expense policy. They do not write many seniors. I forget the age cut off. I have a couple of VPs that send me all the older clients.

Do us a favor, and give something back to the forum, ask them if you can write a 65 yr old and a 70 yr old. If so how much and for what term period. Then let us know.

You are smart to do the research before you sign a non compete with them.

Last edited:
:arghh: really, spelling cracks? as if you didn't know what i meant?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I can almost positively say (though not 100%) that if I were to attempt to write someone of that age, that he would either 1) have ridiculously HIGH premiums or 2) would not be 'insurable'. I will say this, of course my policy was one of the first the we were writing, we first attempted to put my fiance as the primary, and me with the spousal rider. He was declined, because he has in the past been rx'd with bi-polar, although in the last 1 1/2 years there has not been a renewal (current), if you will, of that rx, nor had he been medicated. At the time the underwriters called him, he told them this, and they declined him, and sent him a letter stating that they would need a copy of his med records, to reconsider. Our monthly prem. would have been $59, with 100k on him, 60k on me, and 10k on each of the kids (4).

With that said... is it really that hard to get someone with a mental rx covered?

Also, obviously everyone knows Prime is against WL. Though I know people in our base shop have attempted to replace some WL policies, they have told the client DO NOT cancel your policy, until the new one issues, because there were concerns on insure-ability.

This is what has been told to us about WL. The first 3-4 years, there is no cash value. When the client is getting older, the cash value starts going down, because while their premiums (that they pay monthly) are staying at whatever they were in the beginning, the actual premium has gone up, so it gets depleted from the CV, and once CV is gone they get "the letter" saying they owe X amount to keep their policy in force.

At this point I am uberly CONFUSED! While I have chalked it up to Prime being, maybe not good, but a stepping stone for the beginning, I am obviously second guessing myself. I don't think going independent right out of the gate would be a wise decision for me. So what other options do I have?

A few things that I like about Prime...
*electronic (phone/pda program) quoter and apps.
*we get paid fairly quickly. the week of or after the home office rec. the app.
*field trainer to go with to appts. (yes i know, duh, because he is actually writing the policies, however, he will go with after I am licensed as well, but I will be writing the policies)
*training- be it only on 'one' product, term, but still training none the less.

Some things I am having a hard time understanding. It can't be better to only write one app on a family, with the spouse as a rider can it? dependent on the rider, the policy disappears on the other spouse, should something happen to one of them. This can't be a good thing, right??
Is WL easier for a client to get? I guess that I don't understand where you would suggest either whole or term to a client. because of course, we're being told that, term is the way to go 100% of the time.... but what if it's not? how do you know that?

I can get primeamerica out of a home faster than any other company. Even if you do tell the people the price is going to go up, they will forget it over time. But I don't think most primeamerica agents are trained to tell the customer that. I just blasted one out that was 3 months old.

In this case, I KNOW the customer wasn't told. When I showed him the schedule of premiums I thought he was going to cry. It was a life long neighbor he watched grow up that sold it. I'm in that house to stay...

RUN from PA...They make it sound like they are the universe when it comes to life insurance. What is better a UL with cash reserves or a term product where the premium looks like your phone number when you get to be 50 plus? Whole life, UL, med-sup, selling cars or companionship-anyone of those is better than PA...

Great training at MET life. You will tarnish your name forever at PA...If you plan on moving to another city, that may not be an issue...

Primerica is a joke. They start you at a 25% commission. Your sponsor is writing apps on your people before you are licensed? Are you serious? He wrote the app for your family? Are you serious? I would rather see you go to Mutual of Omaha, New York Life, North Western Mutual or a career outfit like one of those companies. That buy term and invest the rest stuff ain't cool. That 25% commission rate is worse than a slap in the face. Do yourself a favor and run away as fast as you can. I don't care where you start out at, but just don't ruin your career before it starts. Your friends and family are going to ignore your calls and avoid you like the plague.

Back