Selling Final Expense Via Telephone

I've been working on cold calling some prospects.

I've got to learn to stop shooting the **** with people, so that I can call more people. I guess I'm trying to be very friendly. I'm talking to fewer people, but I do feel like I'm connecting better with a few people.

This cold calling thing is all trial and error. What works one day, don't seem to work the next day.

Seems like you don't talk them into buying over the phone. They already wanted to buy insurance and you just caught them before they did anything. The rest of them I just talk into an appt.

I'm also learning that you got to have good data. Which cost more money.

I'm calling repo man this week, which is a very dangerous job and talking them into life insurance. A lot of them are saying to send them the info, but I wont know until I get the apps back if this was a good idea or not.

When you buy list, you get what you pay for. I can also get list that has been scrub against the DNC list for about 5 cent each with their info also.

Cold calling drains the hell out of you. Sucks the life out of you.

Great insight in this discussion! In Florida, replacing Med Supp does not happen. Once in a program, you are stuck or must go to Part C.

Daytona_Guy - awesome post!! That is the way I do it except I have gone after annuities but am trying to implement FE into this process.

In Florida, replacing Med Supp does not happen. Once in a program, you are stuck or must go to Part C.

So you are saying that if someone has a Bankers Med Supp they can't replace it with a MOO or Gerber policy? That they are "stuck" with Bankers for the rest of their life or must go to an MA Plan?

Really, I guess I have just preformed a miracle. I have replaced numerous Med Supps in the Sunshine state.

Where are you getting your information?

I done got on the phone for 2 days with a Turning 65 List
and a List of Senior Citizens profiled for age ,income and Zip Code trying to sell Baltimore Life with their Online Inspeed Process, where you 3 Way it to a Company Underwriter to close the sale.I couldn't get one bite.No one was interested
in buying any Final Expense, or even getting a quote! My
Manager said if I bought some expensive leads they had for sale I would have had better luck!Iworked in Call Centers before insurance and always exceeded quota, so I know it wasn't my phone skills.Here in the Big Cities I work in going down into the Bad Parts of Town, which is "Gang Country" for a Final Expense sale don't seem worth the risk.

Is there no middle class neighborhoods anywhere? The people in the crime ridden hoods aren't going to buy anything anyway. If they had any money they would move.

So you are saying that if someone has a Bankers Med Supp they can't replace it with a MOO or Gerber policy? That they are "stuck" with Bankers for the rest of their life or must go to an MA Plan?

Really, I guess I have just preformed a miracle. I have replaced numerous Med Supps in the Sunshine state.

Where are you getting your information?

Frank,

Share with me your secret as I would gladly accept advice from you. If I am wrong, let me know. If a Part C is leaving the area, yes! A State Farm Agent successfully wrote Med Supp in the Naples area because an HMO pulled out. Otherwise, do they not have to medically qualify? As I stated, if I have incorrect info... I am open to being given the correct info? I would love to replace some Bankers policies! Unless they go into a MA plan, from my understanding, they are stuck unless they medically qualify for a replacement.

Live & learn...

One last thing, selling Med Supp in Daytona is different than South Florida. Here, most people, rich & poor, prefer the MA plans. The appeal of these plans is too alluring to them.

Last edited:
Frank,

Share with me your secret as I would gladly accept advice from you. If I am wrong, let me know. If a Part C is leaving the area, yes! A State Farm Agent successfully wrote Med Supp in the Naples area because an HMO pulled out. Otherwise, do they not have to medically qualify? As I stated, if I have incorrect info... I am open to being given the correct info? I would love to replace some Bankers policies! Unless they go into a MA plan, from my understanding, they are stuck unless they medically qualify for a replacement.

I was responding to your comment that said, "In Florida, replacing Med Supp does not happen. Once in a program, you are stuck or must go to Part C."

I guess I took your comment on face value. You didn't say anything about having to answer health questions, rather you just stated that, "replacing Med Supp does not happen". I have successfully been replacing Med Supps with other Med Supps for seventeen years. In fact, that is all I do now and cross sell FE.

The vast majority of people that I move from one Med Supp carrier to another one do not have any problems answering the health questions. The underwriting for Med Supps is quite liberal in my opinion. Very few of the apps I write are GI and since I don't target T65 they aren't Open Enrollment either.

Back