Selling for Multiple IMO/FMO'S

crabtrap

Expert
Is it adviseable to sell for more than one IMO/FMO? There are a few products not offered by my IMO and I would like to have them as an option to better serve the customer.

Is it adviseable to sell for more than one IMO/FMO? There are a few products not offered by my IMO and I would like to have them as an option to better serve the customer.

Yes. If they don't/won't offer what you want/need...get it somewhere else. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you're independent, you're not tied down to one IMO.

Let's also be clear on the definition of IMO/FMO. If you have someone giving you leads, training, etc, they might take issue with it. If you're independent and just have contracts through them, contract with anyone you want.

Personal preference. Some say to not have all your contracts with one IMO but I prefer to have all of mine with one.

But if they didn't carry a company I wanted I would pick it up elsewhere.

I happen to be with an IMO, {FEX}, that will grant releases if I wanted to leave. If you are not with one that will release then it's a whole different ballgame. I certainly would not put all my contracts with an IMO that won't release.

----------

Personal preference. Some say to not have all your contracts with one IMO but I prefer to have all of mine with one.

I happen to be with an IMO, {FEX}, that will grant releases if I wanted to leave. If you are not with one that will release then it's a whole different ballgame. I certainly would not put all my contracts with an IMO that won't release.

Let's also be clear on the definition of IMO/FMO. If you have someone giving you leads, training, etc, they might take issue with it. If you're independent and just have contracts through them, contract with anyone you want.

Independent paying for the freight (leads,gas,operating costs).

----------

I have free release and keep my clients when I leave along with residuals.

Thanks for the input. I figured it would be a good move since I can get the client what they need, not just what I sell.

----------

Hmmm, I've sent two emails over the past few days requesting a release from just one carrier, all I've heard is crickets.

Hmmm, I've sent two emails over the past few days requesting a release from just one carrier, all I've heard is crickets.

I got it this morning. I thought you and Travis were communications on it. I'll call you today. Just need to verify that you are transferring all contracts that have any risk of debt roll up. Then all is good.

I got it this morning. I thought you and Travis were communications on it. I'll call you today. Just need to verify that you are transferring all contracts that have any risk of debt roll up. Then all is good.

Why in the world would you think I was communicating with Travis on this? Never emailed him and I've never called him about this. And what's the problem with transferring a few contracts elsewhere Scott? Any companies I have I pretty much write, no chance of roll up debt to any IMO I deal with. Let me lay it out in plain English for you. I have 3 imo companies I deal with, I write business with all of them, most of my contracts are with fex. What's funny is that its been fine up until this point to have other contracts with other imo's until I decide to transfer one to 360 and contract a new carrier with 360. What gives? This surely isn't what you or Travis preach and it isn't the fex mantra everyone reads about and that you constantly expound upon.

I'll let sleeping dogs lay nicely where they should for now, but please don't be coy or act like you thought this or that and now backtrack on your whole business model for the sake of nasty vitriol.

This really makes no sense. And to imply I would "stick" anyone with any debt is ridiculous. But I get it, as long as an agent puts contracts with fex and never wants to move any of them all is fine, but if an agent wants to move one or two, well the hell with that agent, he has to go? All or nothing? Doesn't compute Scott.

Why in the world would you think I was communicating with Travis on this? Never emailed him and I've never called him about this. And what's the problem with transferring a few contracts elsewhere Scott? Any companies I have I pretty much write, no chance of roll up debt to any IMO I deal with. Let me lay it out in plain English for you. I have 3 imo companies I deal with, I write business with all of them, most of my contracts are with fex. What's funny is that its been fine up until this point to have other contracts with other imo's until I decide to transfer one to 360 and contract a new carrier with 360. What gives? This surely isn't what you or Travis preach and it isn't the fex mantra everyone reads about and that you constantly expound upon. I'll let sleeping dogs lay nicely where they should for now, but please don't be coy or act like you thought this or that and now backtrack on your whole business model for the sake of nasty vitriol. This really makes no sense. And to imply I would "stick" anyone with any debt is ridiculous. But I get it, as long as an agent puts contracts with fex and never wants to move any of them all is fine, but if an agent wants to move one or two, well the hell with that agent, he has to go? All or nothing? Doesn't compute Scott.

Matt I have no idea what is setting you off but you are free to go with all of them. Get your release agreement signed by your agency you want to go to that they will be responsible and we will sign off on it. But we do want you to move all of them. Once an agent thinks we are working against you or giving you grief, we just need to cut ties. I'll give you some time to move them. Any that you don't move will be termed.

Back