Service Work - Delivering Policy

NuUzr

Guru
100+ Post Club
How much of your day/months activity is spent on service work? ie delinquent accounts, cancellations etc. What's your success rate in saving those 'bad' policy's?

Do you deliver the policy to the client?

How much of your day/months activity is spent on service work? ie delinquent accounts, cancellations etc. What's your success rate in saving those 'bad' policy's?

Honestly if an agent knows all of these details, they will probably not last long in the business. Then I would be able to ask, how much of your day/month is spent figuring up exactly how much of your day/month you use on service work?

Cancellation and delinquent accounts should be simple. Just swing back by their house and see what happened and correct it. If they say they just can't afford it, then pitch the price drop and cut the premium in half. Inaccurate account info, call the company with the new one, etc.

As far as policy delivery, it can be argued each way as to if it is the best way or not. It will be a personal preference for the agent. I used to deliver all of my policies, then I switched to not delivering them and did not see a difference at all.

Just see the people and don't reinvent the wheel. That is what an agent should be focusing on!

I don't track all that stuff but I do quite a bit of service work. Most of my clients do not call the company when they move, get a new account, want to change beneficiaries, etc., they call me.

Early in my career I delivered all polices because it was required. When I got into FE it wasn't required and I was glad to drop it.

About 5 years ago I went back to delivering policies and I found I got of my referrals at policy delivery. So I've kept delivering.

I usually deliver during the course of the day I'm running appointments. But if I'm not working the area where policies need delivering then I will take an afternoon on my appointment setting days and just go deliver. I always take leads in that area with me and make a few calls since I'm there anyway.

It really helps when I'm replacing. I ask the people if they got their current policy in the mail or if the agent delivered it. The vast majority were not delivered. I make a point to let them know that won't happen this time. I will deliver the policy and go over it. People like that.

I've heard some agents say they deliver to "cement the sale". I can't think of a worse reason to deliver.

On a full five day week if I'm exceeded my weekly goal on thursday then I'll do the above service work on that friday.

Honestly if an agent knows all of these details, they will probably not last long in the business. Then I would be able to ask, how much of your day/month is spent figuring up exactly how much of your day/month you use on service work?

Cancellation and delinquent accounts should be simple. Just swing back by their house and see what happened and correct it. If they say they just can't afford it, then pitch the price drop and cut the premium in half. Inaccurate account info, call the company with the new one, etc.

As far as policy delivery, it can be argued each way as to if it is the best way or not. It will be a personal preference for the agent. I used to deliver all of my policies, then I switched to not delivering them and did not see a difference at all.

Just see the people and don't reinvent the wheel. That is what an agent should be focusing on!

Seems as though JD has a great point with delivering the policy - referrals, outlining the coverage and letting the client know they'll be taken care of on a personal level.

I'm surprised there was no difference in your numbers(commissions) regardless of your approach - delivered or not. You didn't see a decrease in your referrals?

Obviously I'm not suggesting an agent can't be a rock star without delivering policy's. The only necessity is the client should always feel comfortable calling up the commission hog-i.e. agent, with any questions, concerns or help with changes.

I'm asking about "service work" because the MS agents I've talked with say they do A LOT MORE service work than FE agents. I wouldn't know. So, this forum is a great way to get both sides..even the third side.

If I bought a policy and my agent delivered it to me - it would build my trust in him/her. Then I'd be more helpful or open to their needs - i.e. referrals. Otherwise, it's just a transaction.

But, if there was no change in my take home $$$ - like w/ bbo, then it would be a time waster.

To each his own..

----------

5,000 ap.........

How many leads on avg per week?

Last edited:
Seems as though JD has a great point with delivering the policy - referrals, outlining the coverage and letting the client know they'll be taken care of on a personal level.

I'm surprised there was no difference in your numbers(commissions) regardless of your approach - delivered or not. You didn't see a decrease in your referrals?

Obviously I'm not suggesting an agent can't be a rock star without delivering policy's. The only necessity is the client should always feel comfortable calling up the commission hog-i.e. agent, with any questions, concerns or help with changes.

I'm asking about "service work" because the MS agents I've talked with say they do A LOT MORE service work than FE agents. I wouldn't know. So, this forum is a great way to get both sides..even the third side.

If I bought a policy and my agent delivered it to me - it would build my trust in him/her. Then I'd be more helpful or open to their needs - i.e. referrals. Otherwise, it's just a transaction.

But, if there was no change in my take home $$$ - like w/ bbo, then it would be a time waster.

To each his own..

----------

How many leads on avg per week?

I don't know what service work the med sup agents are talking about. My med sup clients are pretty much maintenance free.

Back