Settlers for Kids

Anyone who is under the age of 18 is legally incompetent. They can't be held to any contract. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Anyone who is under the age of 18 is legally incompetent. They can't be held to any contract. I learned that lesson the hard way.
I feel a joke about a Mississippi wedding coming on...;)

Varies from state to state.. In TN, a 16 year old can sign their own life insurance application unless it has been changed in the last few years.

Well I can tell you this much from painful experience.

In Indiana if you sell a 17 year old a perfectly good motorcycle for $8,000 cash money and 3-weeks later his mother decides to take a sledge hammer and smash it into a million pieces and dump the pieces in your parking lot, you have to give her the $8,000 cash back.

You can not hold a 17 year old to any purchase contract and they can void any deal you make them. The judge said that anyone who is one day under their 18th birthday is legally considered mentally retarded. They can not be held to any contract they sign if they want out.

Well I can tell you this much from painful experience.

In Indiana if you sell a 17 year old a perfectly good motorcycle for $8,000 cash money and 3-weeks later his mother decides to take a sledge hammer and smash it into a million pieces and dump the pieces in your parking lot, you have to give her the $8,000 cash back.

You can not hold a 17 year old to any purchase contract and they can void any deal you make them. The judge said that anyone who is one day under their 18th birthday is legally considered mentally retarded. They can not be held to any contract they sign if they want out.

In TN they could not enter into that sort of contract without being 18. The age 16 is in the insurance statues.. not the general statues concerning the age of majority. Even though you had to give the kid the money back, you should have had reason for action against the mother. She had no right to destroy the bike as it was not hers.

In TN they could not enter into that sort of contract without being 18. The age 16 is in the insurance statues.. not the general statues concerning the age of majority. Even though you had to give the kid the money back, you should have had reason for action against the mother. She had no right to destroy the bike as it was not hers.

That is what I would think. You may have had to refund the kid the money, but you would definitely have legal action against the mother.

Back