Starting a Position with Securus FE

iamnewtothis

Expert
I am 24 years old and new to the business. I began the program 3 or 4 weeks back. I started paying 20.95 for 15 leads a week at a total of 314.25. I was contracted at a 75% level with opportunity to increase that level rapidly. I recently just received my first lead order. My first appointment ever with a client was last Wednesday. I wanted to start this thread for a couple reasons. Firstly, I know it is a challenge to pick the right company to contract with. For me, a lot of what helped was what the member Reardon's (I believe that was the guy) posts on here when he started for EFES and then moved to Securus. I think what he did was awesome and I appreciate him for doing that. I was also very impressed by the achievement of weekly/monthly premiums he reached. Which brings me to my prime motive, I think that providing some updates on my experiences and how I am faring in the FE world might motivate me and drive me to reach a higher level than if I was in this alone. Additionally, I have gained a lot of knowledge from this forum by just lurking the threads and I am looking forward to what people have to say and any advice they throw out there as I go along.

My first lead order only contained 11 leads, which is OK because I know they will make it up in the following weeks. I set appointments over the phone on Monday for the days Tuesday and Wednesday. Out of the 11 leads, I have so far reached 8 of those people. I had a rough call session the first time around as I only booked 2 appointments from those 8 (one was ineligible due to age otherwise I had 3). I found a majority of those people were uninterested in talking with me. Some did not remember the letter, some wanted mail, and some asked FAR too many questions over the phone. One lady said she actually gets coverage from her Husband's job in the military. One man was so adamant about not being able to meet at his home and even went as far as trying to arrange a meetup for breakfast.

I just now finished calling appointments for Monday and Tuesday. This call session went much better. I had 15 new leads this week from Securus (one is over 85, so its more like 14). So far I have reached 7 out of the 14 and have booked 5 appointments. I plan on getting a few more appointments later today when I start calling between 3-6 pm.

Also, I have done no door-knocking so far. I will admit, I am a little intimidated by this aspect. I believe its effective, I just haven't built up enough courage yet to go through with it. I think this is obviously the weakest point in my routine and I need to do something about it.

My first appointment on Tuesday was a cancel. My second appointment on Wednesday was a success and resulted in my first sale on my first sit. The AP on that was just under $700. I had a wonderful time at the home and was even served nachos with cheese and jalapenos, fresh salad picked from the client's garden, mixed fruit, and chocolate chip cookies. She was amazing and welcoming, even still she had objections that I had to tackle such as needing to shop around before making a decision. Which leads me to my positives and negatives now:

Positives thus far:
Scripting - Phone and in Home:
Excellent wording and excellent dialogue on the phone conversations. A great method for warming up that feels totally natural. Tremendous responses for in-home objections.

A simple way to ask for the sale and attempt to close on something concrete.

Agent mindset and training is really focused on helping the customer instead of expecting them, and their business, to help us.

Through Securus, I receive additional training on Friday morning webinars where I am walked through on certain current issues and new developments/tips.

Negatives thus far:
Lead order has been messed up two weeks in a row on two different fronts. Last week my payment did not go through. They had to do a separate payment last Monday for me. This week I am having the same issue. Additionally, I have received a couple leads who were over the age of 85 and uninsurable. I was promised that they would be made up, but so far I am seeing nothing.

Sometimes, it is impossible to reach the people I need to at Securus. My upline will tell me to call him morning-mid day randomly from time to time. So I will call him within seconds and then he won't answer or call back till much later and sometimes even the next day. There seems to be an overall lack of confirmation when it comes to them fulfilling requests. When I change something crucial, such as my mailing Zipcodes or my bank account information, I would like a confirmation reply from whoever is handling this to make sure that everything has gone through accordingly. This just seems like too much to ask from them. I even ask in the original message for a confirmation and once or twice I have even emailed back one or two days later asking if everything was square and received NO reply.

From time to time, and don't get me wrong its not always, I feel like either the upline is too busy or he just doesn't care. I like the guy, definitely, hes a good guy. He encourages communication with him, but I feel like the assistance I have received from him can sometimes be lacking.

Overall, in spite of the negatives I have, I do have faith that my issues will be taken care of and I still do believe I made the right choice.

I am 24 years old and new to the business. I began the program 3 or 4 weeks back. I started paying 20.95 for 15 leads a week at a total of 314.25. I was contracted at a 75% level with opportunity to increase that level rapidly. I recently just received my first lead order. My first appointment ever with a client was last Wednesday. I wanted to start this thread for a couple reasons. Firstly, I know it is a challenge to pick the right company to contract with. For me, a lot of what helped was what the member Reardon's (I believe that was the guy) posts on here when he started for EFES and then moved to Securus. I think what he did was awesome and I appreciate him for doing that. I was also very impressed by the achievement of weekly/monthly premiums he reached. Which brings me to my prime motive, I think that providing some updates on my experiences and how I am faring in the FE world might motivate me and drive me to reach a higher level than if I was in this alone. Additionally, I have gained a lot of knowledge from this forum by just lurking the threads and I am looking forward to what people have to say and any advice they throw out there as I go along.

My first lead order only contained 11 leads, which is OK because I know they will make it up in the following weeks. I set appointments over the phone on Monday for the days Tuesday and Wednesday. Out of the 11 leads, I have so far reached 8 of those people. I had a rough call session the first time around as I only booked 2 appointments from those 8 (one was ineligible due to age otherwise I had 3). I found a majority of those people were uninterested in talking with me. Some did not remember the letter, some wanted mail, and some asked FAR too many questions over the phone. One lady said she actually gets coverage from her Husband's job in the military. One man was so adamant about not being able to meet at his home and even went as far as trying to arrange a meetup for breakfast.

I just now finished calling appointments for Monday and Tuesday. This call session went much better. I had 15 new leads this week from Securus (one is over 85, so its more like 14). So far I have reached 7 out of the 14 and have booked 5 appointments. I plan on getting a few more appointments later today when I start calling between 3-6 pm.

Also, I have done no door-knocking so far. I will admit, I am a little intimidated by this aspect. I believe its effective, I just haven't built up enough courage yet to go through with it. I think this is obviously the weakest point in my routine and I need to do something about it.

My first appointment on Tuesday was a cancel. My second appointment on Wednesday was a success and resulted in my first sale on my first sit. The AP on that was just under $700. I had a wonderful time at the home and was even served nachos with cheese and jalapenos, fresh salad picked from the client's garden, mixed fruit, and chocolate chip cookies. She was amazing and welcoming, even still she had objections that I had to tackle such as needing to shop around before making a decision. Which leads me to my positives and negatives now:

Positives thus far:
Excellent wording and excellent dialogue on the phone conversations. A great method for warming up that feels totally natural. Tremendous responses for in-home objections.

Agent mindset and training is really focused on helping the customer instead of expecting them, and their business, to help us.

Through Securus, I receive additional training on Friday morning webinars where I am walked through on certain current issues and new developments/tips.

Negatives thus far:
Lead order has been messed up two weeks in a row on two different fronts. Last week my payment did not go through. They had to do a separate payment last Monday for me. This week I am having the same issue. Additionally, I have received a couple leads who were over the age of 85 and uninsurable. I was promised that they would be made up, but so far I am seeing nothing.

Sometimes, it is impossible to reach the people I need to at Securus. My upline will tell me to call him morning-mid day randomly from time to time. So I will call him within seconds and then he won't answer or call back till much later and sometimes even the next day. There seems to be an overall lack of confirmation when it comes to them fulfilling requests. When I change something crucial, such as my mailing Zipcodes or my bank account information, I would like a confirmation reply from whoever is handling this to make sure that everything has gone through accordingly. This just seems like too much to ask from them. I even ask in the original message for a confirmation and once or twice I have even emailed back one or two days later asking if everything was square and received NO reply.

From time to time, and don't get me wrong its not always, I feel like either the upline is too busy or he just doesn't care. I like the guy, definitely, hes a good guy. He encourages communication with him, but I feel like the assistance I have received from him can sometimes be lacking.

Overall, in spite of the negatives I have, I do have faith that my issues will be taken care of and I still do believe I made the right choice.

Can't speak directly about Securus as I have never worked for them. As far as the one who wanted to meet for breakfast, I would not have turned that opportunity now. Even if you expect to pick up the tab, you are only talking about $5 - $10, less than the price of the lead and there are several legitimate reasons why a person might not want to invite you to their home. The house is dirty, they live with someone else and don't wan them to know thier business, mean dog, etc.

When it comes to door knocking, you just have to make your self make the call. You will find that as a general rule people are even nicer at the door, face to face, than on the telephone.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Positives thus far:

Negatives thus far:

Good luck to you! Hope it works out for you

One man was so adamant about not being able to meet at his home and even went as far as trying to arrange a meetup for breakfast.

I agree with rousemark, go ahead and meet them for coffee/breakfast/donut, stc. I've sold a lot of policies from across the diner table.

Great advice so far. I was under the impression that I must meet with the client at their home. I don't know why I thought this but now I know it is not the case. Also, yes I am going to have to start the door knocking. I'm not sure why I'm intimidated by it as I did d2d with a telecommunications company during the summers in two different states and was pretty successful. I just feel like if I am going to go knock on someone's door, I should know exactly what the hell I'm talking about. Right now, I don't think I am at that level, but I will still give it a shot.

I spoke with Reardon on the phone for quite some time earlier today and he was of great assistance to me. Possibly, this man has put more time into speaking and discussing things with me than the entire 3 or 4 weeks I have been in touch with my upline. Not to mention, he isn't receiving a 10-20% cut on my business like my upline. Awesome guy... and now I have a lot to think about and figure out.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering I AM doing some qualifying on the phone, but only the questions that would simply make them uninsurable by any means.

I was appointment setting again today from 3:30 until now. Everyone seemed to be very interested in sitting down with me. I only ran into one lady who had no idea what I was talking about and hung up on me. I guess I will just have to door knock her, right? I spoke with 11 people on the phone today and 8 of them wanted the appointment. One was on her way out the door, so I was only shut down by 2 people out of the 11.

Since I am unable to get a hold of my upline, I would like to ask the forum if I am able to help a man who 5 years ago had open heart surgery, has had Type II Diabetes and is on insulin for it, has had an amputation of the left leg and work done on his right leg, and is now in a wheel chair because of it.

You don't really have a position with Securs. You are using Securus as your IMO for the leads.

That contract seems quite low for Securus. But, it is what it is if you have signed up.

I don't care for the model of Securus in making you pay for leads before you get them but that is about the only issue with them. There are some fantastic FE agents with Securus so take advantage of that knowledge. Hook up with Tim W. and learn as much as you can from him.

I'm sure you are not in his immediate downline with that contract but surely you can access training from other managers at Securus?

As for the guy that wants to meet with you somewhere besides his home, as others have already said, go do it. I don't like to meet people in restaurants because it takes away the companies that require the POS so it limits my offerings. Still, I will meet wherever I need to get the application.

If you are going to use the phone to set appointments don't do the qualifying. If I find out something oln the phone medically it's because they won't shut up and let me get on to my next call.:D

I'm with you on the DK. I hate it and will only do it as a last resort. I only doorknock the one that I can't find a number for. As for that lady that wouldn't meet with you, I would dump that lead.

But, since you are new it probably wouldn't hurt to doorknock it for the practice. I know many will tell you to doorknock those and I listened to that advice before too. I found out that the person is going to send a card the next time that area is mailed so you will have another chance to set an appointment.

Those people are more than time wasters. They are spirit killers. This business is tough enough without having to deal with those folks. Just move on to interested people.

The last line in JD's entry is solid gold -- spend your time with people who appreciate you and dump the losers so as to not let their filth (figuratively and literally) spread to your mindset.

You do bring up a good point with qualifying over the phone. The only problem I have with that is, for my in-home presentation, I create 2 separate "3-option worksheets" where I basically have 3 death benefits and their monthly commitment listed and ask for the sale using the work sheet I prepared prior to arriving at the appointment. Without knowing some information, like whether they are a tobacco user, its near impossible to create these sheets.

One thing that is really weighing me down right now is, I have a contract through NAA with Monumental. I took up an offer to work for NAA maybe 2 months ago but I never wrote any business with them because I quickly found out their leads were a load of garbage. So now, my contract is being held hostage and I doubt there is any way to get a release. I hope I am wrong, so if anyone has any info on that, too, that'd be awesome.

You do bring up a good point with qualifying over the phone. The only problem I have with that is, for my in-home presentation, I create 2 separate "3-option worksheets" where I basically have 3 death benefits and their monthly commitment listed and ask for the sale using the work sheet I prepared prior to arriving at the appointment. Without knowing some information, like whether they are a tobacco user, its near impossible to create these sheets.

One thing that is really weighing me down right now is, I have a contract through NAA with Monumental. I took up an offer to work for NAA maybe 2 months ago but I never wrote any business with them because I quickly found out their leads were a load of garbage. So now, my contract is being held hostage and I doubt there is any way to get a release. I hope I am wrong, so if anyone has any info on that, too, that'd be awesome.

If you intend o use those worksheets then you would have to ask some questions. My question would be, why use those worksheets? You are making more work for yourself than is neccesary.

I also got started with NAA, actually NAA was my second gig in insurance. I started captive with AmGen. That captive deal lasted about 2 months for me.

My experience with NAA was far different than your's. My first full year with them I was a top 15 producer and I only got 10 leads per week. I still say to thjis day that they were the best leads I ever worked. I started out using the "Hudgins System" where you do a lot of qualifying over the phone. About 6 months in I stopped doing that went to not asking any questions. That's when my business took off. Now, to the best of my memory I sold every home I went into when I was using the Hudgins System. The problem was that I wasn't getting into as many homes because of all the pre qualifying.

It was great training and learning and I still use much of what I learned there at every appointment today. I got to know Phillip Hudgins very well and we shared a bond of both being tirebuilders for a major tire company. Take away all the MLM parts of the NAA system and all that goes with that and you will fiknd that Phillip Hudgins is a damn fine insurance agent.

Back