Starting With Securus

BenS

Guru
100+ Post Club
Arizona
Hi everybody. I've been digging through these threads for months and the information I have gathered has been priceless. Thank you for all the informative posts. I thought the best way to start participating in the forum would be to give an account of my experiences as I begin a career in Final Expense...

After careful consideration, I recently decided to team up with Securus FE. The area that I am in gets a very low mailer response, so the thought of signing up with a higher commision IMO and doing my own mailers seemed a little scary. I'm completely new to the insurance business and signing on with a large IMO that can provide leads seemed like the safest/best option. I also spoke with EFES, and while both companies seemed similar, Securus offered a higher comm rate, so I went with them. I'm sure this isn't always the case, but in my area, that is what was offered by the managers. And, in all fairness, I didn't even try to get a higher rate with EFES. I suppose if I asked them to match the Securus offer, they may have.

Up Front Costs:
I think this has been discussed on the forums, but anybody that is looking into this line of work should have plenty of savings. Securus asked for a commitment of 80 leads at $21/each to get started. This seems reasonable considering they need to start a mailing campaign on my behalf. Keep in mind that it takes at least a few weeks for the leads to start coming back. (As of right now it has been about 12 days, and $840 in lead costs and I still have not gotten a lead) This is fine for me as I am still in the process of selling my current business and am a few weeks away from being able to sell FE full time. However, prospective agents that don't have any savings should really think about saving at least 3-4k when they start the process. This will allow you to buy your leads and still have a small cushion while you begin selling.

Training:

Securus' website provides several training modules that describe everything from door knocking, to closing the sale, etc. They also have links to several webinars that include some of their top sellers explaining how they do what they do. If however, you are looking for actual video demonstrations of how to make a sale, then you will be disappointed. So basically if you have either good reading or listening skills, you should be fine.

Support:

When I began the process, I submitted forms on EFES and Securus' websites stating that I was looking for more information. After a few days, I hadn't heard from anybody except auto-generated emails, so I just picked up the phone and called them. Once I was finally put in touch with a regional representative, I left messages with both. Honestly, I got the feeling from both of them that I wasn't a huge priority at first. I can't say that I blame them considering they probably getting flooded with people that are "interested" but probably just kicking the tires. Once they understood that I was licensed, and that I had at least a elementary understanding of the FE business, then it seemed that they were more responsive.

Carriers:

Securus had me sign on with Monumental, Texas Life, and American Amicable. It took about 2 weeks to get set up with them once I had turned in all of my paperwork. It seems that in the Securus webinars, they push Monumental as their best product. Again I have no experience selling yet, so maybe somebody can chime in on whether they are a better carrier than the other two?

So that's where I am at so far. About a week or two away from selling. I'll keep you guys posted from time to time on my progress and look forward to becoming a contributor to the forum. Thanks again!

Ben

how does Mounumental compare to foresters and americo?

I use Foresters a lot but they can be a pain in the arse to deal with. I am signed with Americo but have never used them. I can sign up with Mounumental anytime i want to.

any feedback would be appreciated.

Prices are close enough that I don't worry that another agent might dislodge it. Especially if you've created enough rapport with your new client that they'd prefer to keep you as their agent.

You do take a small haircut on your commissions, though, relative to RNA, AmAm, etc.

Prices are close enough that I don't worry that another agent might dislodge it. Especially if you've created enough rapport with your new client that they'd prefer to keep you as their agent.

You do take a small haircut on your commissions, though, relative to RNA, AmAm, etc.

That depends on your contract. Monumental pays better than the others for some agents.

Finally got my first leads in yesterday. They provided me with 12 which isn't bad considering the first mailers went out a little more than 2 weeks ago. The VP that I work with believes they should be able to get a solid 20/week from here on out. All of the leads are in a smaller town within about 5-10 miles of each other which is nice. Keep in mind I have now paid roughly $1,260 in lead costs so far and am now finally able to begin selling. Can't stress enough that anybody that plans on partnering w/ Securus really needs to have at least 3-4k saved up before you begin, otherwise you may be sunk really quick if you get off to a rough start.

Last night, I emailed the VP for my territory with questions about filling out applications and qualifying prospective clients. He told me to give him a call in the morning (which is a Saturday) and that he would go over it with me. He spent over 2 hours on the phone with me this morning guiding me through the sale and qualification process. I thought that was great of him to do, especially on a Saturday morning. I've seen that the further I get along in this process, the more receptive the representatives of Securus become to answering any questions or concerns. I get the feeling that they get flooded with people that interested in the program, but never really follow through.

My VP told me that he prefers Texas Life over Monumental and American Amicable but usually every agent finds one that they prefer and use the others as a backups. I've found that I need to do a lot of studying of these applications and be able to quickly calculate rates before I get in the field so that I'm not fumbling around like a moron if I do make a sale.

Selling starts next week. Thanks again for all the input and advice...

Finally got my first leads in yesterday. They provided me with 12 which isn't bad considering the first mailers went out a little more than 2 weeks ago. The VP that I work with believes they should be able to get a solid 20/week from here on out. All of the leads are in a smaller town within about 5-10 miles of each other which is nice. Keep in mind I have now paid roughly $1,260 in lead costs so far and am now finally able to begin selling. Can't stress enough that anybody that plans on partnering w/ Securus really needs to have at least 3-4k saved up before you begin, otherwise you may be sunk really quick if you get off to a rough start.

Last night, I emailed the VP for my territory with questions about filling out applications and qualifying prospective clients. He told me to give him a call in the morning (which is a Saturday) and that he would go over it with me. He spent over 2 hours on the phone with me this morning guiding me through the sale and qualification process. I thought that was great of him to do, especially on a Saturday morning. I've seen that the further I get along in this process, the more receptive the representatives of Securus become to answering any questions or concerns. I get the feeling that they get flooded with people that interested in the program, but never really follow through.

My VP told me that he prefers Texas Life over Monumental and American Amicable but usually every agent finds one that they prefer and use the others as a backups. I've found that I need to do a lot of studying of these applications and be able to quickly calculate rates before I get in the field so that I'm not fumbling around like a moron if I do make a sale.

Selling starts next week. Thanks again for all the input and advice...

If you get a chance to hook up with Tim W. at Securus take full advantage of that training and advice. he is the best FE agent I have ever met or been associated with. Great guy to boot.

Haven't had a chance to speak with him yet, but he did do a recorded webinar that is on the Securus website. Knowing from these threads that he's the best agent out there, I've listened to it about 3 times in the last week. He really simplifies the sales process. Hopefully I can carry his advice into the field.

thanks for posting your process to date.. interested to see how the business progresses for you.

Back