Trouble Shooter: Task Force Warns Against Mailer Requesting Personal Information

That is what brought about standardization.

Pre-standardized Medigap plans

Pre-standardized Medigap plans are plans sold before July 1992.

Before 1980, Medigap plans (also called Medicare Supplement Insurance) were regulated solely by individual states, according to a report by the Office of Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The report states that lack of federal oversight in the Medigap industry allowed marketing fraud and consumer abuse.

Between 1980 and 1990, the federal government, state governments, and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) worked together to help implement the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (OBRA) of 1990. This Medigap reform legislation standardized Medicare Supplement Insurance plans, prohibited the sale of any pre-standardized Medigap plan, and helped establish consumer protections.

According to the HHS report, the Act was passed for the following reasons:

Set minimum standards for Medigap policies
Prohibit insurance companies from offering more than 10 different plans options (starting July 30, 1992)
Minimize misleading sales and marketing strategies in the Medigap industry
Educate consumers who want to purchase Medigap insurance

The Postal Service would have a fit if direct mail to anybody was forced to cutback to gov. regulations. One of the things keeping them even marginally afloat.

The Postal Service would have a fit if direct mail to anybody was forced to cutback to gov. regulations. One of the things keeping them even marginally afloat.

I would agree if Congress didn't seem to hate them so much. The USPS's position has been worsened by Congress's insistence on pre-funding their pension and other retiree benefits, unless any other government agency.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/be-careful-what-you-assume

Now yes, setting aside money for future obligations is a good thing. The problem is, it has left the USPS in debt and severely limited its ability to otherwise invest in the business.

Direct Marketing Assoc will help get individuals off mail lists:

Check out dmachoice.thedma dot org

1000 years ago when I was IN direct mail, I would get voice messages from Seniors "Why does Agatha down the street get your coupon package and not me? I WANT THEM!!!"

Either way---you lose!

Back