UHL Death Claim

onefastpony

Guru
100+ Post Club
I was checking my business this morning and logged into the UHL site and noticed that one of my policies has a pending death claim. This was the first policy that I had written. I followed the app to the letter and the client passed the PHI, MIB, and Script check. Since the policy was only issued last September I know that UHL will check medical records.

Does anybody have experience with a contestable policy with UHL? I also noticed that the policy was paid up until 06/05/14 which meant that UHL collected this months premium already. Will UHL let me know when the person passed, what was the supposed cause, and any actions I need to take?

I'm going to call the husband this morning, I put him with RNA, and see how I can help him and let him know how long this process can take.

Will UHL charge back my commissions? I'm only advanced six months with them. Will they charge me back unpaid premiums also?

I had one I wrote last Sept. They denied the claim and charged me back 100%. I think it was paid on for 6 months, I can't tell for sure since they have it listed as "not taken" now with no access to payment history.

I was checking my business this morning and logged into the UHL site and noticed that one of my policies has a pending death claim. This was the first policy that I had written. I followed the app to the letter and the client passed the PHI, MIB, and Script check. Since the policy was only issued last September I know that UHL will check medical records.

Does anybody have experience with a contestable policy with UHL? I also noticed that the policy was paid up until 06/05/14 which meant that UHL collected this months premium already. Will UHL let me know when the person passed, what was the supposed cause, and any actions I need to take?

I'm going to call the husband this morning, I put him with RNA, and see how I can help him and let him know how long this process can take.

Will UHL charge back my commissions? I'm only advanced six months with them. Will they charge me back unpaid premiums also?

Your advance is covered since it's been more than 6 months. They will charge you back the unearned portion now for the part of the payment until June.

If the death benefit is paid then you won't be charged back anything else. If it's rescinded then they will charge you back 100%.

I was checking my business this morning and logged into the UHL site and noticed that one of my policies has a pending death claim. This was the first policy that I had written. I followed the app to the letter and the client passed the PHI, MIB, and Script check. Since the policy was only issued last September I know that UHL will check medical records. Does anybody have experience with a contestable policy with UHL? I also noticed that the policy was paid up until 06/05/14 which meant that UHL collected this months premium already. Will UHL let me know when the person passed, what was the supposed cause, and any actions I need to take? I'm going to call the husband this morning, I put him with RNA, and see how I can help him and let him know how long this process can take. Will UHL charge back my commissions? I'm only advanced six months with them. Will they charge me back unpaid premiums also?

If they determine that the person didn't qualify for coverage (very common) they will return the premiums to the estate and charge back 100% of your commissions. It doesn't matter if you were on advances or not. It doesn't matter how long the policy was in force as long as it's within the 1st 24-months.

Cross your fingers because someone's job at the insurance company is to find a reason to not pay the claim.

If they determine that the person didn't qualify for coverage (very common) they will return the premiums to the estate and charge back 100% of your commissions. It doesn't matter if you were on advances or not. It doesn't matter how long the policy was in force as long as it's within the 1st 24-months.

Cross your fingers because someone's job at the insurance company is to find a reason to not pay the claim.

That's a really bad taste to leave in your mouth. The company knows they take on a risk with these simplified issue policies which is why they load them to table 4 and then they get a second bite at the policy decision at claim time, obviously now the client has no chance to go a different route like they would have had the carried declined in the first place.

That's a really bad taste to leave in your mouth. The company knows they take on a risk with these simplified issue policies which is why they load them to table 4 and then they get a second bite at the policy decision at claim time, obviously now the client has no chance to go a different route like they would have had the carried declined in the first place.

I had a claims rep at one company gleefully tell me that they call it the "50/50 rule" in claims. Meaning they only pay 50% of contested claims. Seemed quite proud of that and even mentioned that agents "get sooooo mad at us sometimes".

I later found that was an exageration. They don't pay anywhere close to 50%.

If the claim is not contested,how long will they take before they issue funds to the beneficiary ? How far do they dig into the medical records ?

If the claim is not contested,how long will they take before they issue funds to the beneficiary ? How far do they dig into the medical records ?

I've had a few contested. Here is my experience:

1. Oxford- decided within a couple weeks but that was because they discovered the applicant had been on a dementia med. Did not pay the claim (justified). Policy was in the 23rd month. (Ouch!)

2. Foresters- took 9-months but finally paid the claim

3. Settlers- one month, paid claim

4. American Continental- took 3- months before they started looking at it. Drug feet. It was actually non-contestible due to KY law. Claims department after consulting with legal department determined that only applied to "internal" replacements. More feet dragging. It finally occurred to me to quit trying to talk sense into their legal department and contact their regional sales manager. Claim paid within 2-hours of his involvement.

5. 5-Star- 1st contestible claim was settled within 30-days but it was pretty clear he was hit by a train. They probably just had to verify that he wasn't suicidal. 2nd contestible claim was paid within 90-days.

I think that's all the contestibles I've had on FE policies.

It's going to be contested. Every company contests 100% of contestable claims.

The shortest one I've had paid that was contesteable was 3 months and that was with my staying on top of it and advocating for the beneficiary weekly.

The longest that was paid was about 9 months.

On the ones not paid, usually takes a minimum of 3 months and usually 6 months to deny the claim.

I've got a huge chargeback coming on a suicide. Been 4 weeks so far but I'm sure that one will happen quickly once they get the death certificate. They haven't even asked me for an agent's report on it so I'm sure the decision is in. Just waiting on paperwork. The wife doesn't beleive it's a suicide. I'm hopoing she's right.

I have one that's been contested for almost a year now. But I have seen coorespondance from the company to the beneficiaries saying that they have not received the paperwork they have asked for. Apparently the beneficiaries are foot dragging. They haven't contacted me about it either.

I had one contestable claim with Foresters. They took 9 months to deny the claim.

On claims out of contestablility they usually pay within a week of receiving the death claim. That's all the companies I deal with. 5 Star claims to send half the face to the beneficiary within 24 hours of death on non contested claims. They didn't do that on any of the non contested claims I've had with them.

The one contested claim I had with them they took about 3 months to deny. That beneficiary appealed that decision. I don't know the outcome of that appeal or if it's over yet.

On non contestable deaths the claims can be paid within 24 hours by assignment.

Wow,that's out of tens,maybe hundreds of thousands of policies from the entire FMO.
What about normal,non contested claims,how long until they pay ?
Are there any carriers that are known for post underwriting, denying clams at an unusually higher rate than others ?

Back