When Remains Need to Be Moved Out of State

I wonder if any of the seasoned FE agents have guidelines when a prospect tells you their remains will need to be sent out of state. I am running into prospects who hail from Mississippi and Alabama where there are long held family plots. These ladies live in Illinois and want to be buried in the South. None of them wants to be cremated. Thoughts on how to adjust FE calculation in this circumstance?

I wonder if any of the seasoned FE agents have guidelines when a prospect tells you their remains will need to be sent out of state. I am running into prospects who hail from Mississippi and Alabama where there are long held family plots. These ladies live in Illinois and want to be buried in the South. None of them wants to be cremated. Thoughts on how to adjust FE calculation in this circumstance?

whats their budget? Get the budget sell them the max amount for that budget, your not a travel agent

It really depends on the funeral home. What I recommend doing is checking with your local funeral homes and find out what their transportation costs are for both cremations and bodies. As professionals, we should all be doing this. I never want to give my client's half-ass or half-baked answers when I can simply make a phone call or show up and speak to a funeral director and find out the info. Then, if they do follow-up on what I told them, they'll see that I gave them accurate information. Leads to referrals and a further strengthing of the trust they put in you as their agent.

It really depends on the funeral home. What I recommend doing is checking with your local funeral homes and find out what their transportation costs are for both cremations and bodies. As professionals, we should all be doing this. I never want to give my client's half-ass or half-baked answers when I can simply make a phone call or show up and speak to a funeral director and find out the info. Then, if they do follow-up on what I told them, they'll see that I gave them accurate information. Leads to referrals and a further strengthing of the trust they put in you as their agent.

Or try www.parting.com Nice site for costs depending on the state. You can even give them the ave cost for their exact funeral home in some cases. I recently made a sale similar to the OP situation. That helped to seal the deal.

As far as transferring the body however I remember seeing about $1000 somewhere. I wish I had the link to it.

A quick google search revealed that costs are pegged at between $1000 to $3000 and Southwest Airlines has a whole division dedicated to this sort of thing.:idea:

Basically they want to keep the costs down by only dealing with ONE funeral home. If you look at any funeral homes general price list there is only one fee on there that is non-declinable. That is the funeral home's overhead fee and will be charged to any family they do work for. Even if it's just a removal (picking up the deceased from place of death.)

The mistake people make is this: Say Mom dies in Bugtussel, KY and she is going to have her funeral in Dallas, TX where she lived most f her life and all her friends and family live there as well as her cemetery space is there. The hospital where she dies will tell daughter Judy to call a local funeral home (Merv's Funeral Emporium in Bugtussel) to remove the body from the hospital.

If she does that Bam! She gets hit with Merv's non-declinable overhead charge ($2,400) plus his removal fee ($450). She will also pay Merv's price for a ship out, shipping container, etc.

Now all that is in addition to the normal costs she will have from a 2nd funeral home in Dallas, TX that is going to perform the actual funeral.

The mistake she is making is becoming a retail customer for two separate funeral homes.

Her better move is to call ONLY the funeral home that that she is going to have the funeral at. Let him take charge of everything on both ends. He will have the local removal and ship out done at wholesale (business to business) cost. He MAY still have Merv do the removal (as his sub agent) or he might just call Inman Transport. But either way daughter is going to prevent paying a 2nd funeral home's non-declinable fee at the very least.

Shipping a body anywhere in the 48 states depends on airline prices at the time but usually around $800 on the high end.

Cremains are shipped UPS and are just around $30 just like any other box. Cremains have no legal restrictions any more than shipping a football helmet would have.

The legal final disposition of the body ends at the crematory. From that point on it is legally just a box of dirt.

Basically they want to keep the costs down by only dealing with ONE funeral home. If you look at any funeral homes general price list there is only one fee on there that is non-declinable. That is the funeral home's overhead fee and will be charged to any family they do work for. Even if it's just a removal (picking up the deceased from place of death.)

The mistake people make is this: Say Mom dies in Bugtussel, KY and she is going to have her funeral in Dallas, TX where she lived most f her life and all her friends and family live there as well as her cemetery space is there. The hospital where she dies will tell daughter Judy to call a local funeral home (Merv's Funeral Emporium in Bugtussel) to remove the body from the hospital.

If she does that Bam! She gets hit with Merv's non-declinable overhead charge ($2,400) plus his removal fee ($450). She will also pay Merv's price for a ship out, shipping container, etc.

Now all that is in addition to the normal costs she will have from a 2nd funeral home in Dallas, TX that is going to perform the actual funeral.

The mistake she is making is becoming a retail customer for two separate funeral homes.

Her better move is to call ONLY the funeral home that that she is going to have the funeral at. Let him take charge of everything on both ends. He will have the local removal and ship out done at wholesale (business to business) cost. He MAY still have Merv do the removal (as his sub agent) or he might just call Inman Transport. But either way daughter is going to prevent paying a 2nd funeral home's non-declinable fee at the very least.

Shipping a body anywhere in the 48 states depends on airline prices at the time but usually around $800 on the high end.

Cremains are shipped UPS and are just around $30 just like any other box. Cremains have no legal restrictions any more than shipping a football helmet would have.

The legal final disposition of the body ends at the crematory. From that point on it is legally just a box of dirt.

That's good stuff! !

whats their budget? Get the budget sell them the max amount for that budget, your not a travel agent

I would expect my agent to give me a rough estimate of the cost to accomplish my goals before I committed to any amount of premium or insurance.

Latest posts

Back