Who Counts As Family?

amazinagent

Expert
I am working on a subsidy application for a family of 4. The two adults have a combined income around $76000. The estimate for the subsidy is $242. But in the application, the oldest dependent is a niece who they have legal custody of & have claimed on taxes for several years. The eligibility gives the adults and youngest dependent $81 and sends the niece to Medicaid. Am I doing something wrong? Any serious help is appreciated. I really want to help this family

1. Sell her a plan off the exchange separately from the rest of the family and they can still get subsidized.

2. Have her apply for medicaid and enroll the rest of the family in the subsidized plan.

3. If she gets denied medicaid you can go back and change the app and put that she was denied and they will now include her in the subsidized family plan providing that you can prove she was denied medicaid with documentation at a later date.

I am working on a subsidy application for a family of 4. The two adults have a combined income around $76000. The estimate for the subsidy is $242. But in the application, the oldest dependent is a niece who they have legal custody of & have claimed on taxes for several years. The eligibility gives the adults and youngest dependent $81 and sends the niece to Medicaid. Am I doing something wrong? Any serious help is appreciated. I really want to help this family

So, this is what I do:

I state on application the niece lost Medicaid. EVEN IF APPLIED, she will lose it. No sense to do so (EVEN MARKETPLACE WILL AGREE, via a phone app). Florida DID NOT EXPAND MEDICAID! Lost time, and energy, unless you want to apply for her via access.

However, she will end up with her own policy. You can NOT group them together.

Simple & sweet.

----------

So, this is what I do:

I state on application the niece lost Medicaid. EVEN IF APPLIED, she will lose it. No sense to do so (EVEN MARKETPLACE WILL AGREE, via a phone app). Florida DID NOT EXPAND MEDICAID! Lost time, and energy, unless you want to apply for her via access.

However, she will end up with her own policy. You can NOT group them together.

Simple & sweet.

You didn't specify the age of the niece on your post so there was no way to know that she would be denied based on age.

If on the application you put that she was denied medicaid they may give a larger subsidy and allow you to make her part of the same group.

I have had people denied medicaid and put it on the application and then received a subsidy where prior to that they did not.

Just trying to help. Good luck!

Back