15 Ways to Keep Clients Happy

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Marketing and sales strategist/consultant John Graham contributes a lot of sales-focused articles to Insurance Forums, and he’s just provided another (link below). This one has 15 ways to keep clients happy – and therefore sticking with you.

Some are admittedly common sense, but provide good reminders of habits to embrace or avoid in order to make sure your clients are taken care of. What he didn’t mention among the 15 are any type of customer appreciation events or tips that can not only make for happy clients but also open the door to introductions and referrals.

What are some ways you keep clients happy and therefore uninterested in advances from competitors?

Insurance Forums | The big job is keeping customers happy

All 15 of those "tips" are just really good character traits to have in a valued advisor. However, it is missing the marketing link and client development process.

I actually have an "ongoing client engagement agreement" to set the standard of what they can expect from me from this point on. It includes a monthly newsletter, telephone "check-ins", and annual reviews.

If you tell your client what you're going to do... and you actually DO it... is a great way to develop trusting relationships, because you are fulfilling on exactly what you said you would do.

All 15 of those "tips" are just really good character traits to have in a valued advisor. However, it is missing the marketing link and client development process. I actually have an "ongoing client engagement agreement" to set the standard of what they can expect from me from this point on. It includes a monthly newsletter, telephone "check-ins", and annual reviews. If you tell your client what you're going to do... and you actually DO it... is a great way to develop trusting relationships, because you are fulfilling on exactly what you said you would do.

Would you share your engagement agreement? I love that idea!!

Clients have natural questions of "now what happens?" after you conclude a transaction. This is an engagement agreement that I bring to the client when I deliver their policy.

Ongoing Client Engagement Agreement

Requirements:
- Friendly & Nice
- Fiscally Responsible
- Serious About Your Money
- Completed a Financial & Retirement Analysis
- We have done business together!

I Offer:
- One Financial Analysis and Retirement Plan Update per Calendar Year.
- Telephone ‘Check-In’ At Least Twice A Year From Either Myself, Or A Staff Member.
- Monthly Newsletter Filled With Various Money-Saving Financial Tips And Hints.
- My Facebook Page Where I Give Commentary On Various Financial Articles.
- Educational Webinars & YouTube video presentations.
o These will be sent out via my email newsletter list.
- Answer Your Financial Questions.*

* Legal and tax related matters should be handled by competent and licensed professionals in your state. Advice regarding buying, selling, holding, or a general analysis of securities should also be done by competent and licensed investment professionals.

□ I authorize DHK to contact me via phone and email on an a periodic, ongoing basis.
If, at any time I request no further contact via phone or email, such a request will cancel this arrangement.

x______________________________________________
Client #1 Date

Client #2 Date

DHK Date

This does 4 things for me:

1) It sets the stage for ongoing services and advice.

2) It helps with the "source of funds" issue by differentiating securities analysis (which I don't do) from everything else I do. Of course, if I align with an RIA, I wouldn't have to worry about that.

3) It helps with DNC regulations for me by having a signed agreement that I have permission to call. If they ever NOT want me to call, it simply voids the agreement and I am released from my service obligations. As John Savage said, "If a client calls and says they never want to hear from me again, they win! Go find a new client."

4) It also allows me to delegate the calls to a staff member (should I hire an assistant) to check in, and then give me any messages or notes.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Most of the should be common sense. It is sad that some of these need to be said Like taking ownership and Always respond to your messages.

I remember when I was new and an FMO had a webinar about these thing and I asked do agents Really need to be told to answer or return customer calls, I was told it was the number 1 issue resulting in preventable cancellation's

Communication is the most important. People are busy and if your clients are like mine, a chit chat phone call or an email newsletter is an interruption, not good service. I was with a business client of mine when her P&C agent stopped by just to say "hello" since he was down the street. It was uncomfortable and awkward.

People just want to know you are looking after them. A brief email to check in is usually enough and preferred by most business people. I put it in ACT!, then just do it. Call once per year for a review if appropriate.

Make yourself available and actually check in on them. Twice a year would be ideal.

Theyll probably hate you for bloating up their phone with missed calls and taking their time, but if you educate them correctly and address their ever changing needs, theyll appreciate it in the end. A lot of things can happen in 6 months to a year.

Back