2 Year Degree at Community College or Associates In Claims Designation at The Institutes?

JOHN L

Hello to all, I am reaching out hoping to get some advice/ opinions from insurance professionals on a certain matter. I have been trying to become employed as an entry level auto claims adjuster for some time but I've been unsuccessful . I have ten years as an auto body repair/ painter technician. This ended when I started having lower back pain. I have a high school diploma, computer training at community college. 2010 Vale Training Solutions Estamatics 3000 course with CCC Pathways software. I was I-CAR certified, 2011 Property and Casualty License . 2013 U.S. Career Institute Claims Adjuster Course. At this point I need to make a decision as to weather I am going to get a (AIC) Associates Degree In Claims Designation from The Institutes or go to community college for a 2 year degree. I will appreciate all advice and opinions. Thanks

I saw your original post in the pre-licensing section of the forum. Most of the people on this forum are agents - either for life, health, and annuity or P&C agents selling commercial, homeowners, and auto. I'm in the life, health, and annuity side, so I don't have direct experience in the P&C side in any way, aside from a policyholder.

Your question is based on a narrow vs broad based focus. The narrow focus is the designation as it only applies to a specific position and industry. If you're searching for a job, it may help or not. I cannot tell you. It would help if there was a local association that you can also join and network with others.

Otherwise, at least with the associates, you can build upon that towards any other industry or focus towards a bachelor's degree or whatever.

But that decision is up to you, your local job market, and your network of contacts.

If you haven't already, I'd join LinkedIn and find some groups in your focus and ask them.

I have been trying to become employed as an entry level auto claims adjuster for some time but I've been unsuccessful .

What do you feel is the main reason you have been unsuccessful ?

That might help people recommend between the specific designation versus the 2 year degree.

Seems like your background would be perfect for that job. I thought I have even seen those entry level claims adjuster jobs not require any experience.

One of the things that educational institutions sell is hope.

People hope that this credential or that credential will help them get a job they want.

You need to see and hear some placement information. What help does the organization giving the education give you in finding a job, what percentage of graduates are placed in the field and so on.

If your reason for the education is finding a job and the organization doesn't have the network or the concern/interest to provide you any help with that, then you may very well be wasting both your time and your money regardless of the educational vehicle you choose.

Back