4/20, Marijuana & Insurance

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Marijuana enthusiasts celebrate April 20 – or 4/20 – as a national holiday each year for cannabis culture. (If you are curious about how the number 420’s association with marijuana came about, check out the second link below).

As so many states (28) and Washington D.C. have now legalized recreational and/or medicinal use of pot, insurers continue to scramble to figure out how to deal with the legalized marijuana industry – made all the more complicated by the fact that marijuana remains illegal in the eyes of the feds.

Do insurers cover marijuana losses? If so, how do they value it? How does it impact home, auto and life insurance coverage? How about health insurance or commercial lines?

InsuranceQuotes.com figured as 4/20 approached this year, it seemed like a good time to take a closer look at the current state of marijuana and insurance. They’ve got a fairly comprehensive look at it in the first link below.

Just curious as to how often clients come to you with questions regarding marijuana use and how it can impact their efforts to get coverage – and whether or not you find it difficult or time-consuming to provide answers? Or has it been around long enough in your state that the questions are easier to answer by now? Any crazy inquiries worth sharing?

Ultimate Guide to Marijuana Use and Insurance

420: How April 20 Became a Pot Day | Time.com

Guess the forum will shut down at 4:20PM tomorrow. Of course those that want to get a head start can kick it off at 4:20AM..... :twitchy:

I do a fair amount of business with users and found some life insurers are becoming much more lenient, especially AIG.

Just got a lead from some one with questions from this link.....[/URL

Mods are going to delete your post as spam.

----------

I do a fair amount of business with users and found some life insurers are becoming much more lenient, especially AIG.

Pru is pretty good on occasional use as well. Just placed a $1,000,000, I quoted Std+, it was issued at Preferred Plus. Big savings in premium.

It even beat that site STIBROKER posted. :)

EDIT: must have been a contact high, it was actually an AIG ROP term that got the P+.

Last edited:
Mods are going to delete your post as spam.

----------

Pru is pretty good on occasional use as well. Just placed a $1,000,000, I quoted Std+, it was issued at Preferred Plus. Big savings in premium.

It even beat that site STIBROKER posted. :)

What do they consider occasional use? Is it like cigar usage? If doesn't show on pee test, issue NT?

If it shows, do they issue as Tobacco or ?

And now it got me wondering how long it takes for MJ to not show in urine. ?

What do they consider occasional use? Is it like cigar usage? If doesn't show on pee test, issue NT?

If it shows, do they issue as Tobacco or ?

And now it got me wondering how long it takes for MJ to not show in urine. ?

I had to correct the post. It was a AIG ROPTerm plan.

No trace in the labs and frequency depends on the company. They have to disclose the use on the app. In my current case it was twice this last year. By contrast Cincinnati Life quoted her Std tobacco. And they give chewers and dipper Std nonT.

I believe you pee clean after 45 days. However, I would imagine there are many factors like body weight, frequency of use and THC content. Maybe edible v smoking also.

Back