9+ Years Selling Insurance, Newly Independent. Is It Worth the Hassle?

Jib

Expert
AZ
After over 9 years of selling insurance on the phone with large companies (last 5 with the largest insurance agency in the country), I decided to go indy. I have lots of respect for indepenant agents who earn a good living - this is a tough gig

I'm working with a broker who targets mainly health insurance, even though I've only sold life for the last 7 years. learning the products/underwriting is one thing, but finding out just how horrible the lead quality seems to be is surprising. Working with 5 leads companies the last couple months, and all have been awful. Since I'm not having much luck with health leads, I was going to buy some life leads - but the consensus seems to be the quality is worse than health lead quality.

How many of you went from longtime captive/large agency to indy?

I did not own any of my business with the large agency, so I'm starting fresh. Looking to start a lead generation website, and I did post in the website forum looking for ideas.

I've worked from a home office the last couple years, and I'd like to keep doing so. Am I being realistic to think I can generate enough business that way?

My friends thought I was crazy to leave a job where I can make 100k and work from home, but I was tired of the corporate crap. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice :(

Expecting to struggle, maybe just enough to pay the bills for the first 6-12 months. not even sure I can accomplish that the way things have been going.

You need to figure out how to market. The model of buying leads and closing a high enough % to make a living may be a thing of the past.

Start cold calling businesses. Throw on a tie and go knock on doors.

Being Independent means you have to market and sell.

JIB, was "After over 9 years of selling insurance on the phone with large companies.." calls coming to you wanting insurance? If so, you are a newbe. ABC is correct you have to market... That's the hardest part of all.

I switched from health a few years back to Final Expense. I don't regret the move.

Best Wishes, and by the way do some searches on here, you'll get some good info, as you wade through the sometimes mess.

JIB, was "After over 9 years of selling insurance on the phone with large companies.." calls coming to you wanting insurance? If so, you are a newbe. ABC is correct you have to market... That's the hardest part of all.

I switched from health a few years back to Final Expense. I don't regret the move.

Best Wishes, and by the way do some searches on here, you'll get some good info, as you wade through the sometimes mess.

Thanks for the input.

Actually about 80% of the business I wrote was from internet leads- didn't take many inbound calls b/c most were disabled/no $.

You're right, though, I guess I am kind of a newbie when it comes to marketing and buying my own leads. I've only had to worry about working the leads I was given and getting referrals.

going form writing 5-10 apps a day to, well, zero - takes some getting used to. It's difficult to have a postive attitude when facing so many unknowns - I need to work on that as much as anything

Well personally I think you made the right move going indy. I've been independent for half of my career and wish I had made the move sooner.

So are you selling in house or just over the phone? PM me if you want some ideas.

You need to figure out how to market. The model of buying leads and closing a high enough % to make a living may be a thing of the past.

Start cold calling businesses. Throw on a tie and go knock on doors.

Being Independent means you have to market and sell.

Thought I was the only one left on here that wore on of those when calling F2F. :biggrin:

If you have been working internet leads all this time, its going to be very difficult to go to F2F, I have been Indy for 10 years now, the first 6 years I was 100% F2F, then I started generating my own internet leads just like the lead companies do, you will never I find a better lead you had 100% control in generating, when you buy leads from lead vendors, 9 times out of 10 they are crap, over sold, dead, bad info etc. We have no idea how these lead companies hore out leads. I have tried them all..I have spent years refining my pay per click for health and life leads, now its a cake walk, but you will spend a lot of money learning, but I found the pay off to be huge.

Well personally I think you made the right move going indy. I've been independent for half of my career and wish I had made the move sooner.

So are you selling in house or just over the phone? PM me if you want some ideas.

I'm going to be selling just over the phone for now. Thanks to folks on this board, my path is looking a bit more clear
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you have been working internet leads all this time, its going to be very difficult to go to F2F, I have been Indy for 10 years now, the first 6 years I was 100% F2F, then I started generating my own internet leads just like the lead companies do, you will never I find a better lead you had 100% control in generating, when you buy leads from lead vendors, 9 times out of 10 they are crap, over sold, dead, bad info etc. We have no idea how these lead companies hore out leads. I have tried them all..I have spent years refining my pay per click for health and life leads, now its a cake walk, but you will spend a lot of money learning, but I found the pay off to be huge.

Yes, I'm now in the midst of trying to create a strong web presence so I can begin generating organic leads. Like you said, most purchased leads these days stink. Hopefully before the end of 2013 I'll be able to generate enough leads to see a good return on my time/money

Last edited:
Well I do 99% of my sales over the phone right now so if you have any questions or ideas just PM me, wish you luck bud!

Back