Absolute horrible appointment ratio

Survivor

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I wanted to try a new strategy of having the customer come to the office vs. me going to the home becuase 1) I thought it might help if they were on my turf and 2) it saves me time and gas.

It has gone horribly.

In my limited understanding, its my beleif that I am suppose to assume the appointment. "Ok Mr. Prospect, I've got openings Tuesday and Thursday after 2, which should I put you down for?"

In my last 8 appointments set, I've had ONE!!! show, and that one didn't even really count as a presentation b/c he said he still didn't have the information on his current policy and just wanted a brochure.

I've even called in the morning to confirm the afternoon appointment, and had the customer forget.

I'm thinking I'll start mailing the customer a reminder like doctor's offices do whenever the appointment is a couple of days out.

What methods are you all using to make the appointment time and date stick out in the customer's mind?

I have no experience with this method, but have heard that you burn through customers faster when you want them to come to your office because of so many no shows.

I always call the day before their appointment to remind them. Learned to do that the hard way though...I used to have a lot of no shows until I started the calling to remind them. When you make that reminder call it'll tell you if they are really interested or were just leading you on....if no one answers you leave a message asking for a "return confirmation call" or you will not be there or fill their spot. That takes care of the people who were just wasting your time.

Last edited:
Insurance has to be sold. To sell it, you have to go to the people. The people will not come to you. I go door to door, without appointments, and just pop in on people all the time. I am old school as heck, I understand that, but I get very little negative stuff. If I pop in and am enthusiastic, people listen. Most of my people are 40-50 miles away, but in the same town as me, there is no possible way they are going to get in a car and drive 40-50 miles. No possible way. Having big, urban sprawl is a problem, but I burn the time and gas driving around in it, the people will not, from my experience.

Last edited:
Insurance has to be sold. To sell it, you have to go to the people. The people will not come to you. I go door to door, without appointments, and just pop in on people all the time. I am old school as heck, I understand that, but I get very little negative stuff. If I pop in and am enthusiastic, people listen. Most of my people are 40-50 miles away, but in the same town as me, there is no possible way they are going to get in a car and drive 40-50 miles. No possible way. Having big, urban sprawl is a problem, but I burn the time and gas driving around in it, the people will not, from my experience.

I disagree. It is all depends on the market you are dealing with. A middle class client most likely will not come to your office for an appointment. However, upperclass and higher networth clients will be more inclind to meet you at your office. Also, the products you offer has a bearing on the office visit also. For someone like myself offering stocks, bonds, managed accounts, mutual funds and insurance it is easier. For an agent that just offers one line of insurance has a challange. I have no problem with clients and office appointments, but I still do house calls.

Survivor,

You are wise in seeking how to improve your ratios. Keep tweaking it, I'm sure you'll find what works for you. Be encouraged that as you close more deals, your confidence will increase, people will respond to you in a different way, and they'll come to your office for daytime appointments.

WBunch, I agree with you- on the more affluent clients. I generally am in the middle class market, for the most part. I think Survivor needs to figure out a niche and a market and work it and stick to what works, basically. David C is also correct, survivor needs to tweak it and figure it out. Also, different things work better in different areas of the country or different areas of town. There is no way I am going door to door in affluent areas.

It takes a while, but once you get in your groove, or your niche, you will know it. What does your manager or trainer say you should do, survivor?

Last edited:
It takes a while, but once you get in your groove, or your niche, you will know it. What does your manager or trainer say you should do, survivor?

When I first came up with the notion, he was okay with it. He listened to the reasons I'd like to bring them to the office and basically gave the nod. I've told him the results, and now he says I need to start beatin' the streets. Basically, he agreed with what I already knew.

As far as my niche....
I have decided that I want to concentrate my marketing efforts in four areas:
New home purchases
New births or adoptions
Worksite
Networking through the chamber of commerce

Mostly, this will have me working with the middle class. Being 21 years old, I have a hard enough time getting the middle class folks to listen to me. I seriously doubt a high net worth individual would give some one barely older than his grandson the time of day.

So, I guess I'll start back with the house calls.

Another thing I guess I'll have to start doing is getting more than one number. IF I have their house phone, and they aren't home the couple of times I try to confirm, I can only cross my fingers and hope they show up.

When I first came up with the notion, he was okay with it. He listened to the reasons I'd like to bring them to the office and basically gave the nod. I've told him the results, and now he says I need to start beatin' the streets. Basically, he agreed with what I already knew.

As far as my niche....
I have decided that I want to concentrate my marketing efforts in four areas:
New home purchases
New births or adoptions
Worksite
Networking through the chamber of commerce

Mostly, this will have me working with the middle class. Being 21 years old, I have a hard enough time getting the middle class folks to listen to me. I seriously doubt a high net worth individual would give some one barely older than his grandson the time of day.

So, I guess I'll start back with the house calls.

Another thing I guess I'll have to start doing is getting more than one number. IF I have their house phone, and they aren't home the couple of times I try to confirm, I can only cross my fingers and hope they show up.

Don't doubt yourself with your age. I am only 30 and deal with clients that are my grandparents age. If you want to get into that market, find yourself a mentor to help you.

I started when I was 19 years old in the insurance business. The age thing is in your mind, mostly. When I go to my bank, all the people working with me are in their 20's.

When I started, that was 1986. Now, I realize some things have changed in the business since the 1980's and 1990's, but some things stay the same. I knew your manager would say to hit the streets. Going out and selling and hitting the streets has not changed much, except people are trying to find ways to burn less gas- since gas is so high.

Networking is a great idea. So is working with orphan clients who have not reviewed the policy {they already are a client, half the sale is made} in a while.

Worksite: you are gonna have to go talk to some business owners/decision makers. From my experience, the phone does not work well with them.

Back