Accident Plans: Commissionable Premium Deception is Widespread?

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
March 5, 2015

I'm noticing a disturbing trend with commissions on Injury/Accident plans. The (GA / MGA) marketing agencies that contract us are saying, Example "You're paid 50% First Year and 10% Renewals"

When I get the commission statement, the 50% commission is only paid on 80% of the premium.

There's another company/agency that pays 40% level, year after year, but they keep reducing the "commissionable premium". As of this year, you're only paid on HALF of the collected premium.. On a $65 a month Injury plan, your 40% commission is paid on just the first $35 of the premium.

Both of these are good agencies to work with, and have plans that pay benefits as promised in the certificates. But I'm growing annoyed with their deceptions. You can't even figure out what the real premium is, because the commission statements were "massaged" in order to make it look like you were paid 40%, 50%, etc.. It's deceitfully sick accounting-reporting.

The commission managers at the Life, Health, Critical Illness, Disability companies seem to have more integrity, and regard for their agents. If they decide to lower commissions, they say so. No "commissionable premium" games.

Are there any good-quality injury plans out there sold direct through the company that pays the claims? Or any national Marketing Offices that don't have the Jonathan Gruber mindset regarding Injury Plan commissions and agents? If so, please share them.

Thank-you in advance!:yes:

-Allen

March 27, 2015

Well, it's looking like all of the Injury/Accident plans soak the agents with large portions of the premium that are "non-commissionable".

And, they have large out-of-proportion monthly "service" fees. (ie $39.95 premium with $9.95 of that being BS-Profit that is non-commissionable.)

When clients use these plans, they're glad they have them, but it's a shame agents are screwed and deceived to such an extreme by the food chain above us.

Will continue to keep my eyes open for an Injury-only plan that's designed with integrity and respect for agents and our clients.
ac

Who are your main carriers that you run with on these plans ? So you're not direct with your carriers ?

March 27, 2015

Well, it's looking like all of the Injury/Accident plans soak the agents with large portions of the premium that are "non-commissionable".

And, they have large out-of-proportion monthly "service" fees. (ie $39.95 premium with $9.95 of that being BS-Profit that is non-commissionable.)

When clients use these plans, they're glad they have them, but it's a shame agents are screwed and deceived to such an extreme by the food chain above us.

Will continue to keep my eyes open for an Injury-only plan that's designed with integrity and respect for agents and our clients.
ac

Who are your main carriers that you run with on these plans ? So you're not direct with your carriers ?

There's one in your backyard. United National(owned by GTL...same building). You can contract direct. 55% FYC, then 10%(can't remember if that's 2-10).

Bobby Jann

Vice President of Sales

United National Life Ins. Co. of America

1275 Milwaukee Ave.

Glenview, IL 60025

866-343-0001 office

847-903-4499 mobile

847-699-0229 fax

Email: [email protected]

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but you can check it out.

March 5, 2015

I'm noticing a disturbing trend with commissions on Injury/Accident plans. The (GA / MGA) marketing agencies that contract us are saying, Example "You're paid 50% First Year and 10% Renewals"

When I get the commission statement, the 50% commission is only paid on 80% of the premium.

There's another company/agency that pays 40% level, year after year, but they keep reducing the "commissionable premium". As of this year, you're only paid on HALF of the collected premium.. On a $65 a month Injury plan, your 40% commission is paid on just the first $35 of the premium.

Both of these are good agencies to work with, and have plans that pay benefits as promised in the certificates. But I'm growing annoyed with their deceptions. You can't even figure out what the real premium is, because the commission statements were "massaged" in order to make it look like you were paid 40%, 50%, etc.. It's deceitfully sick accounting-reporting.

The commission managers at the Life, Health, Critical Illness, Disability companies seem to have more integrity, and regard for their agents. If they decide to lower commissions, they say so. No "commissionable premium" games.

Are there any good-quality injury plans out there sold direct through the company that pays the claims? Or any national Marketing Offices that don't have the Jonathan Gruber mindset regarding Injury Plan commissions and agents? If so, please share them.

Thank-you in advance!:yes:

-Allen

Central United, United national, Bankers Fidelity and many others pay full commission on the entire premium. Washington nation pays full commission on the entire premium unless you add the ROP/CV rider. The first year is paid on the rider premium but they do not pay renewal commission on it. The good thing about the WN base plan without the DI rider is there are no forbidden occupations.

Back