AGLA Training

bassplayer

Expert
After reading several posts on this forum, I recently decided to start training with AGLA. I read posts about how they will pay you for 17 weeks while you train, and about how their training program was better than many. But that was about as specific as the information got. For the record, I am LOVING it and feel that this is exactly where I need to be. But for any new AGLA agents out there, here are some more of the details that I've discovered so far:
  • The training and materials that you receive are NOT free. At least 3 different resources that I've received (New agent case with books/dvds/cds, a laptop, 3 day training at a state facility) have all come with a form to sign stating "$X amount will be deducted from your pay for X number of weeks." I will say, in my opinion, that the benefit of the materials far outweighs the small cost to the agent. But, I was under the impression that I wouldn't be paying for any of this stuff.
  • My manager is not JUST a manager. He is also responsible for recruiting more agents AND writing a certain amount of business HIMSELF each month. My particular manager has been awesome, but I can see how some new agents may not be able to receive the training they need if the manager is spread too thin. Maybe a question like "How much time will you spend with me each week?" might be a good interview question to ask.
  • The online training that you will have to take is pointless in my opinion. It feels like they are still trying to talk you into why AGLA is the best thing since sliced bread instead of getting into the specifics of what you need to know to survive. I wasn't expecting much more, since I understand that most training will have to happen in the field...but just don't expect much if you are the kind of person that has to have it "all together" before you talk to your first client.
These are a few details that wouldn't have changed my decision but would have been nice to know. I'm sure it depends on your local office, but most of this should be pretty universal. I'll be sure to post if anything else comes up!

A few more thoughts over the past few weeks:
After waiting around for some "training", I got bored and decided to start making appointments regardless of if a manager could go with me or not (they supposedly require you to do a certain amount of joint field work before going it alone). I set 3 appointments from my natural market and just went by myself. I decided I will sink or swim, but I refuse to sit back and wait for someone to hold my hand. Out of 3 appointments I was able to actually sit down with 2 of the families and ended up with 4 life apps and 2 to follow in the Spring. Also, from those 2 appointments I got 14 referrals.

I've gotten really good at saying "Sorry, I don't know the answer to that but I will find out first thing in the morning." Just a few more of my thoughts on my AGLA experience thus far. I'm sure its the same anywhere though: Make excuses or make money.

I've gotten really good at saying "Sorry, I don't know the answer to that but I will find out first thing in the morning."

lol...that's funny...

congrats on your sales...!!! as a newly licensed agent lurking these forums, you posts here have been most encouraging...

please share how your original leads were obtained, as they seemed to have been quality leads...

im mainly attempting to land with a company that provides/sales quality leads that yield sales & referrals...

thanks &congrats again...!!!

All of my sales so far have come from my Book of Business (probably 70%) and my Natural Market. I've just been calling people up and saying "It's time to sit down and do an insurance review with you, and it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes" and we set up the appointment.
I have a full factfinder that I do on the computer and print it out and bring it back to them when I go back for the second appointment to take applications. Taking the factfinder back seems to remind them why they need the amount of coverage I'm recommending in case they've become cold during the time between appointments.
I have had great luck by telling them on the phone "I'm not going to try to sell you anything" and when I go in the house I make a point to remind them that I didn't even bring applications with me (not into the house anyways :o) so I'm just here to help them look at their situation.

I've done the same thing for my natural market and it's working great. I will probally buy some leads, but I've been getting enough referrals to keep me busy. I highly recommend Bill Cate's Unlimited Referrals System btw! Good luck, i look forward to following your progress. :)

bassplayer,
txs. for your informative posts. i'm an independent and
i've been talking to agia. i can keep all my other appointsmets, still work out of my office. i'd have to give up my hartford and other life carriers but my question is the book of business they give you all that and is the commisions
really the best in the business. we have'nt gotten to real numbers yet.. (i'm also in nc)

thanks for your comments

rjalf

As far as the pay, If you consistently produce which will keep you eligible for the bonuses then you will end up making VERY close to 100% commission. If not then it's closer to 55%.
Some of our new agents didn't get a book of business but I received about a 130k book with about 300 policies in force. I'm in my 12th wk of validation now so I'll be sure and post how it goes.

Best if luck to you!

Hi,
I am new to the insurance business I just got my license about 4 months ago. I am in the process of getting a job as sales agent with AGLA. I've never heard of this company, but I later found out AGLA is owned by AIG. I was worried if this is another multi-level marketing company like WFG. I had an interviewed last week, well the manager didn't really interview me. He just told me how this company works and what kind of product I will be selling. I got a phone call the next day and they told me to come in for drug test. They told me to wait for a week for the result.

Anyways, the manager told me it will be paid training. I will get $500 a week for the first 12 weeks, after that they will adjust the pay according to my performance. I won't get any of the commission until the 23rd week. Is this really true??? Is AGLA a good company to work for? I am unemployed right now and I just want to find a good company to work for. Since you are training with them can you share your experience so far. The manager told me AGLA is the best paying company in the industry even better than New York Life or Met Life. He said you can make up to 6 figures income.I am just a little skeptical about what he said because I have never heard about AGLA before. Another thing is that AGLA life insurance cover almost everything like cancer or chronic illness for the same price as other company without these riders I was just wondering how are they going to make any money?

Hi,
I am new to the insurance business I just got my license about 4 months ago. I am in the process of getting a job as sales agent with AGLA. I've never heard of this company, but I later found out AGLA is owned by AIG. I was worried if this is another multi-level marketing company like WFG. I had an interviewed last week, well the manager didn't really interview me. He just told me how this company works and what kind of product I will be selling. I got a phone call the next day and they told me to come in for drug test. They told me to wait for a week for the result.

Anyways, the manager told me it will be paid training. I will get $500 a week for the first 12 weeks, after that they will adjust the pay according to my performance. I won't get any of the commission until the 23rd week. Is this really true??? Is AGLA a good company to work for? I am unemployed right now and I just want to find a good company to work for. Since you are training with them can you share your experience so far. The manager told me AGLA is the best paying company in the industry even better than New York Life or Met Life. He said you can make up to 6 figures income.I am just a little skeptical about what he said because I have never heard about AGLA before. Another thing is that AGLA life insurance cover almost everything like cancer or chronic illness for the same price as other company without these riders I was just wondering how are they going to make any money?

They are a good company to cut your teeth with. I worked for them from 91-94. They aquired several companys along the way, Gulf life, Independent life etc. Sounds like they cut their training contract back from what it used to be. They are one of the few remaining that even have that anymore. So, I'd jump on it if you're new.

They used to assign bigger books of business and I think it used to be a 6 month training contract. They will also charge you back the entire commission if the policy doens't last at least 6 months, if I remember correctly. They still have some good products and some loyal customers from the companys they gobbled up and their own customers. AIG aquired them around '99 I think it was. They were better off without AIG. Good place to learn. And many of the guys I worked with back then are still there, so it probably is still a good place to stay.

Back