AIL Threatening to Call Cops on Me....

exAIL

So I tried the AIL life insurance producer thing. I honestly just didn't like the way things worked. I wasn't down to make a living off lying my way into peoples homes then fear mongering them into buying life insurance.

Well long story short I lost my phone and just got it back within the hour. I had an explosion of texts from the AIL people trying to contact me (it's been less then a week sense I last spoke to them) and it quickly went from "Hey whats up?" too "I'm not f***ing around! If you do not bring me that lead pack back by tomorrow I'm calling the cops on you." I've only been issued one lead pack from them and I paid $100 for it.

If I had to pay for the lead pack to be given to me how is it stolen property? It's not like I need or want it but I am kind of turned off by the threats and don't even feel like responding to them...

Basically just want to know what my position is before I get myself in trouble with the law.

So I tried the AIL life insurance producer thing. I honestly just didn't like the way things worked. I wasn't down to make a living off lying my way into peoples homes then fear mongering them into buying life insurance.

Well long story short I lost my phone and just got it back within the hour. I had an explosion of texts from the AIL people trying to contact me (it's been less then a week sense I last spoke to them) and it quickly went from "Hey whats up?" too "I'm not f***ing around! If you do not bring me that lead pack back by tomorrow I'm calling the cops on you." I've only been issued one lead pack from them and I paid $100 for it.

If I had to pay for the lead pack to be given to me how is it stolen property? It's not like I need or want it but I am kind of turned off by the threats and don't even feel like responding to them...

Basically just want to know what my position is before I get myself in trouble with the law.

I am sure it is just idle threats from someone who got pissed off because you didn't respond within their allotted time frame. If you paid for it, it is yours unless your contract says something different.

Copy it and mail them the original. Maybe not the most ethical thing but before anyone judges read your contract. Even if they called the cops the cops wouldn't do anything because it would be a civil matter. He should have threatened you with a lawsuit not the cops. It shows that he really doesn't know too much.

Last edited:
Most contracts have a provision for proprietary information. I bet by the letter of the contract that lead pack would be included even if you paid for it. Having said that companies don't react that way ie blowing up your phone. I would copy the lead pack and put the copy somewhere if they really want it back they will send you a letter in regards to it at that point I would bring up the fact that you paid for it.

The ethical thing to do is return the leads. You have no legitimate reason to keep them and it's likely in violation of your contract.

Yes, they can take action. They can also legitimately make complaints to the insurance department if you do handle the situation inappropriately. The cost of that lead pack was certainly well above the $100, those are not yours. You shouldn't copy them and I'm surprised and disappointed that anyone here would suggest you do so.

_If_ I gave them back I would copy them. How they treated me in the future is how I would treat them X2.

I would also make them come to me to collect it and make them give me a written receipt for them on letterhead signed by the agency head.

How many leads are in a lead pack? What kind of leads?

It sounds like the mgr is getting his butt chewed out about it.

A$100 is nothing to sneeze at keep 5 of them and give back the rest.

Just be careful those "Lead Policemen" are out in full force...lol

_If_ I gave them back I would copy them. How they treated me in the future is how I would treat them X2.

I would also make them come to me to collect it and make them give me a written receipt for them on letterhead signed by the agency head.

It's been a long time since I signed my AIL contract, but I'd be beyond surprised if it didn't say you had to return all the materials and information supplied upon resignation. If the guy is done, he has to give his stuff back. I'm also a bit confused about what the $100 is, I've never heard of them charging for leads (though personally I think it might be a good idea). That said, at most that's a fraction of what the leads cost to generate. If he isn't going to work them, he should return them so someone can work the leads and it's dishonest for him to do anything else.

If he took possession of the leads at an office, why shouldn't he return the leads to where he got them from?

You guys are really surprising me here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How many leads are in a lead pack? What kind of leads?

It sounds like the mgr is getting his butt chewed out about it.

A$100 is nothing to sneeze at keep 5 of them and give back the rest.

Just be careful those "Lead Policemen" are out in full force...lol

AIL has relationships with unions, credit unions, and associations where their members fill out cards and send them back to claim their life insurance certificates. The agent calls up, drops of the cert, a super condensed funeral planner/final wishes form, and offers them a life insurance/disability combo. Those relationships are important and the cost of those leads is very high. Even if he paid $100 that's a drop in the bucket against what they are. I believe they maintain digital copies of all the cards, either way, it'd be completely dishonest to work any of them.

Why would you suggest he do something unethical?

Last edited:
He paid for them least he can d o is get his money's worth. I worked for this Parker and Asses clone years ago. For all his headaches he should be able to keep what he paid for or at least copies of them. I never returned any of their crap back. Simply threw it all away

Back