Angry and Frustrated!!

Short answer? This is not an industry for you.

Sorry wish I could be nicer or more encouraging but this is a kick you in the nuts business in the real world. Save your money and find something else.

And Northwestern does what it does because Northwestern is who will get sued when you screw up, so forgive them for being a little inconvienent. You're going to find this is pretty much the same at the good companies. That is part of the reason they are good companies.

It sounds like you feel you are "owed" something from the aggressiveness of your post.

Companies have every right to interview you as many times as they wish. Insurance sales is not a "job" that offers a salary.....maybe you are looking ino the wrong field?

Why would any company want to pay you a salary with zero track record? What makes you think they should offer a salary?

I hate to say this but, if you are looking for a "paycheck" you need to find a "job".

Insurance sales might not be for you.

Now, having said that, when I started I had $300 in my bank account a large mortgage payment, wife, kids etc etc. A commission job would not work. But it had to work. There was no plan B. if you want something bad enough, It can happen, and it will happen if you make it happen........

The question is, is your desire big enough?

"work as a belllhop in hotel"

I think this is your best idea. Definitely do not get into the insurance business. It is not for you.

Been in sales for 12 years never had a base salary. Anyone who makes good money in sales is 100% commission. If not 100% commission and make hourly/salary probably don't make over $40k per year total. Just my 2 cents though.

From an employer point of view in this climate paying a nice base is me risking money too, try finding someone who will actually sell rather than soak up a base. Prove you can sell first. Plus you said you were a teacher what sales experience do you have to expect a base? just food for thought playing devils advocate. Best of luck

I am sorry your unemployed and this is a terrible job market (so people tell me). Life and Health Insurance sales is primarily 100% commissions positions. If you want a job in insurance then you need to apply for a home office position (which explains why most HO employees don't know didly) or get your P&C license and take an hourly wage with a State Farm or Allstate agent.

Captive companies like NWM and NYL and others sell to a high end crowd. They do have an expense of putting you on. You may not see it and you may not understand it. Finally they are smart they know most people will flunk out of an intangible sales job like insurance. If they paid you a base salary it would help you but it wouldn't really put more policies on the books.

Re:

Just about everyone told me what I expected to hear ---as I said before the comments were ..."this is not the business for you."

I don't want to hear that.

I want to know why you think 100% commission is the way to go when pharmaceutical companies pay a base salary and many of their reps make over 100k a year.

I have many years sales experience in many different fields from mortgage protection insurance, viatical settlements, to selling autos, to selling investments. I have done outside sales. Great companies pay a base salary. They offer a company car. They offer gas incentives, they offer a cellphone and laptop upon hiring. They offer a contract with employee.
Now when I see that -- that is a solid company. A solid company will back it up with these incentives.

I just don't understand what the incentive of working 100% commission is when you can make "skys the limit" on commissions on base salary career and still have a base pay.

I dislike amway. I dislike priamerica. Gimmicky, 100% commision type companies. Yes amway, is MLM, etc.
Saying I will make 65k my first year or 70k my first year is sort of irresponsible on their part. When they dont know how much I will make. Maybe I will make 15k a year? Or maybe I will make 100k a year. Again, they don't know. So why spout off figures like that? Why even bring that up?
They should say...realistically you will make 20k your first year or more---and if you don't you do not belong in this business. Then after that we expect you to make 50k (or more) a year by your second year. Again, realistically speaking. But not this nonsense you will make 70k a year your first year. Come on! Bogus. Bogus. Bogus.

Back