Anthem Hack Not Just Anthem's Problem

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
I wanted to put this in general instead of HCR forum as it is more general in nature.

The Anthem hack can apply to a lot more that just past & present Anthem members. This is important to bear in mind with the coming identity theft protection. Also you may get a call or contact from a non-Anthem subscriber who has been affected.

While the hack was specific to Anthem's database, anyone who (past or present) utilized any services from or adjudicated by Anthem could be compromised.

For example, a client on BCBSTX (not a part of Anthem) who received services in an Anthem state under the BlueCard PPO program or urgent/emergency services in an Anthem state under any BCBSTX plan, could be potentially compromised as Anthem would have been the claim handler/processor for that claim before it reverted back to TX.

Just a head's up that even if you are not in an Anthem state it's possible some of your health clients on Blue plans could be affected by this hack.

In CA, Blue Shield CA (not related in any way to Anthem Blue Cross) is having to work with Anthem to determine if any BS Members were compromised in the hack. I assume all states Blues are doing the same.

Anthem Inc. and Anthem Blue Cross are separate and independent from Blue Shield of California. However, due to various collaborative agreements between Blue Shield of California and other Blue plans throughout the country, some Blue Shield of California member data is shared with Anthem. For example, if a member traveling outside of California, but within Anthem's service area, receives medical care, Anthem would process that claim

It is surprising the extent of the breach and how many other companies Anthem helps on the admin side.

A really random one is Securian Dental.
Securian Dental uses DeCare to help with admin support. DeCare is a subsidiary of Anthem. DeCare claims that their info is stored on a separate system than the hack... they think... but they are still informing clients and its on their website.

Empire BCBS of NY was possibly hit by the Anthem hack. They have sent letters to all of their members.

So in Missouri anthem has a massive market share. I'm pretty sure every Missourian has had their identity hacked between Anthem (largest health insurer), Schnucks, (largest grocer), target, and home depot.

I can't wait to see how medical theft goes.

Back