Anyone Currently Working for Combined Insurance?

rfergeson

Is anyone currently working for Combined Insurance? Everything I've read about them has been somewhat dated. I know they went through some major changes last year. I'm supposed to start sales school on Monday (they are paying for everything, mileage, hotel room, and paying me a small salary while there). They have told me that I am guarenteed 50-100 leads a week (25 active customers, 25 old customers, and up to 50 other leads, internet or referrals), I will have a small salary for 13 weeks to get on my feet. It really doesn't sound bad but everything else I've read isn't as sunny. So if anyone currently works for them I would appriciate any insight you have. Thanks.

I have never worked for Combined, but have a great many agents who came from there. If you do not care to sell a product that is almost 50% overpriced, that will be replaced when an indy agent goes to your client's house, then go for it.

The training is great!

Four of my agents came from Combined and I've worked with even more. They tend to have a high turn over rate and most of their agents, at least around here, don't make much money at all. There really are easier ways to get into the insurance business, but again, their training program is usually top notch!

I competed against them and worked w/ many former agents.

I say do it and get the experience . . . even if you only last a few months, the experience will be very valuable and you'll meet a lot of people that you can network with for the rest of your career.

Is anyone currently working for Combined Insurance? Everything I've read about them has been somewhat dated. I know they went through some major changes last year. I'm supposed to start sales school on Monday (they are paying for everything, mileage, hotel room, and paying me a small salary while there). They have told me that I am guarenteed 50-100 leads a week (25 active customers, 25 old customers, and up to 50 other leads, internet or referrals), I will have a small salary for 13 weeks to get on my feet. It really doesn't sound bad but everything else I've read isn't as sunny. So if anyone currently works for them I would appriciate any insight you have. Thanks.

Tried them a few years ago. Use them, not the other way around, to gain your first experience and training. ANY knowledge you get will be worth the initial time spent-- but don't limit your other opportunities if the old ship starts to list.

Take the training and 13 weeks field training.. See if you enjoy insurance sales. If you love it. Run after the 13 weeks ends...if you don't like it...run faster and get out of the industry. The whole idea here is the training they provide along w/ a chance to get your foot in the door. If you can't sell the combined then there's not a chance you can sell any other health products as it's so inexpensive.

I am also a newbie to the insurance business. I have only been at it for 2 months now but I will offer what I have learned so far:
1. This is not a 9-5 job. It's very easy to go home, or stay at home, and get in the reclining chair to watch Oprah. I am working just about every day, except Sundays, from 8 a.m. until 11- midnight. All of this time is not spent selling. STUDY,STUDY,STUDY. Spend a week or two studying before going out. You will be glad you did.
2.Know your product before you try to sell it. If you don't, you will sound like an ***,AND, you are playing with your clients, the spouse, and the children's life. Remember this,
WHEN YOU KNOW, AND YOU KNOW YOU KNOW, CONFIDENCE REPLACES FEAR.
3.It cost money to do this properly, you will need some reserve to make this happen and get the pressure off of your back.
4.Don't sell to you family members first, It willl make this job seem like it's easy, and it is quick money, but you need to learn to sell to strangers.
5. Activity is the key, stay busy and reap the rewards. I closed 3 accounts with Colonial Life in the last couple weeks. That will be around 12,000 anualized premium which will be a great paycheck BUT I was quite sure that I had those closed and I quit prospecting as much, and now I have 3 sales but my pipeline is empty and I'm starting from scratch. Sure wish I would have contacted other businesses in the last couple of weeks, LESSON LEARNED. Stay busy.
6. Ask for help, I have learned so much from this forum, and most of these guys will help you out with any questions.
7. Your title may be AGENT, but you are also a salesman. Free insurance advice pays nothing. I'm not saying for you not to use your knowledge and give advice when asked, but if you don't sell, YOU DON'T GET PAID.
8. If can afford to, spend time setting up your business. I spent a lot of time this month building a website, getting a toll-free number, a fax number, setting up my office,etc. I did this to be ready for business when I start using door hangers, cold calling, door to door. Now when I meet someone I can direct them to my website to get information and set an appointment.One person on this forum told me I was putting the cart before the horse, but if you opened a restaurant you wouldn't open the doors until you had your kitchen in place. Imagine being referred to a restaurant, you go there to eat, but they haven't set their grill up yet. It won't cost much to get set up. You can buy a used fax on Ebay, your can buy ink cartidges cheap on Ebay, a website is less than 10 dollars a month, you can get card stock and paper on Ebay. I just bought 10,000 legal envelopes for 9.32 on Ebay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back