Anyone Working for a Debit Company?

I started in the business about 10 and half years ago at AGLA and they were still a debit office at the time and were trying to move away from it.
They paid really good commissions at the time as an incentive to sell more insurance because the old debit agents just picked up premiums.
I took a book with them and did the best I could to switch most over to EFT and most did, the rest I transfered off except for a few of the easier bigger payments. From there it was smooth sailing and I consistently wrote 2-3k of new premium each week, it was very easy to sell to loyal customers and I had a medium sized book of them.
I had a good blue collar area to work and
I did well there for about 16mos and just moved on to something better.

Wow...

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Bourbonlegend,the conversation was pretty generic really. She did admit that the person I would be potentially replacing couldn't handle it and admitted this wasn't the business for her.

The debit area would be in a more lower to middle-class area than the projects but I get the jist from your responses,and I certainly appreciate them all and will most definately take them under advisement.

Riding with an agent is a great idea.

Decisions....decisions...

I am leaning heavily towards independent....thanks everyone!!

Let's also remember that we're talking NE Ohio...not Florida and as we head into winter just imagine the levels of fun walking house to house when it's 5 degrees. And with a major snow storm do you just not earn anything that week?

Debit Co.'s pay ZERO renewals to the agent. The biz you write belongs to the Co., not the agent. Running a debit is a good way to get started but not much in the way of a career.

Thanks again for the continued input.

99% sure I'll be going independent but I am still going to go for my third interview when I get the call,just to hear them out.

At that point in time,should I be the slightest bit interested in possibly moving forward,I'll request a ride-along with the agent that's making $2500/wk there. I was making that a couple of years ago and would certainly like to be there again.

I know that's probably easier to accomplish as an indy....but I'll still hear them out.

I'll make sure to post a follow up here...just for kick's and giggles.:v_SPIN:
</IMG>

You want to ride along with a debit agent making $2,500 per week? Maybe you can ride along on his unicorn.

You didn't ask where his route is...

It is in South Beach. Just make sure to steer clear of any dogs until you drop off the cash. Might want to wash those clothes too.

I started in the debit busines about 100 years ago. Worked in NYC and Miami. Talk about captive, Im a true independent compared to the control these debit managers had. I managed an agency in Miami. We used to have pizza parties on Friday afternoon. If you had no apps to turn in Friday morning....go out to the debit and get one, come back have pizza and only then did you get your paycheck.
Needless to say that there was so much crap thrown against the wall that the persistency was terrible. Books were always short when agents left (most get terminated for stealing) and the manager gets stuck working the debit. When I had to go out to collect an "open" debit I had to pay a bodyguard to come with me. Problem was, I never knew when the bodyguard was going to set me up. Wow, it was really bad during those days.

I didn't even realize there were still companies operating a debit system althought I heard Columbian may still have one in NY.

Well, it was good experience though.:biggrin:

Last edited:
You want to ride along with a debit agent making $2,500 per week? Maybe you can ride along on his unicorn.

LOL...ya,I know.....I'm told that's what he makes and I'm not too much of a dumbasss,although I have my moments.

I realize he's probably been there a good amount of time and I'm sure he has the cherry book of the office,but I'd still like to see what this guy does. Hey,we can all learn a little somethin' from almost anyone,right? ;)

Some "debit" agents do well... and United Insurance Co. offers a good benefit plan for agents. Something thats hard to find these days.
Lower middle income clients seem to be buying even in a bad economy.

Back