Anyone Working for a Debit Company?

I honestly didn't think they existed any longer.

I am being offered a job with United in NE Ohio and have NO idea on whether or not I'm going to except the offer. I had a second interview today and I felt as if I hit it out of the park. I'm taking my pee pee test tomorrow.

I had been thinking I was going independent until this meeting today. Ben Franklin T will be in play here.

Anyways...are there any old fashioned debit agents reading this? If so,I would truly appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons of working a debit in today's modern world.:unsure:

Danke,merci and thanks.

You will probably end up driving around crappy neighborhoods trying to pick up checks from people who won't answer the door when you knock. Oh yeah, you don't get paid unless you collect. If it were as easy as "driving around and picking up $$" the original agent would never have given up that route.

Can you tell us a little bit more about your conversation with the recruiter?

You might fail the test. They are probably trying to find an agent who IS on drugs.

It's a tough way to go. I've got a buddy who runs a debit in downtown Atlanta. He used to be on the ordinary side but just wouldn't or couldn't prospect. He says for him, prospecting was like drinking poison and running a debit is like eating razor blades.

Ran a debit route 30 years ago downtown Atlanta, bourbon, most of my customers could not spell check much less have an account. Can't imagine walking around there today with everybody knowing the policy man always has cash on him. Easy job, selling to the uneducated. Different world out there today.
Be careful in those projects!

Easy. As for a ride-along. Tell them you'd like to spend a day in the field with one of their successful agents. If the answer is no attached to one of 20 excuses, that pretty much says it all.

Hopefully Homeservice will come on here and give his opinion. He absolutely loves debit routes. That said, he works in Texas, probably a lot different than Ohio.

I can't imagine a more painful existance, going door to door, chasing down people to collect premium. Then, you have to try and sell a small policy while you are there.

As John said, ask for a ride-along. I suggest two, do one with a successful agent they pick. Then, randomly pick out a guy in the morning before they hit the road. Odds are the guy you pick won't be successful, and he'll be more likely to give you all the dirt on the place. Just take it all with a grain of salt.

When I first started full time in this business, I ran a debit account for a few years. The benefit was that I learned a lot about insurance and about people. I was able to sell quite a few "small" life policies like $1K - $10K.
The crappy part was just like some of the other posters have said, you have to chase the collections and constantly worry about lapses. You have to go into some questionable neighborhoods, you carry cash which makes you a target.
For me it was a good stepping stone to what I am doing now.
Hope this helps.

Running around the hood collecting premiums on tiny policies, is crazy talk. Go Independent...

Wow...

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Bourbonlegend,the conversation was pretty generic really. She did admit that the person I would be potentially replacing couldn't handle it and admitted this wasn't the business for her.

The debit area would be in a more lower to middle-class area than the projects but I get the jist from your responses,and I certainly appreciate them all and will most definately take them under advisement.

Riding with an agent is a great idea.

Decisions....decisions...

I am leaning heavily towards independent....thanks everyone!!

Back