Appointment Denied Due to Background- is There a Way to Appeal?

I have been denied appointment to a couple life insurance companies due to a felony marijuana conviction in 2006 that is now fully expunged.

Is there a way to appeal these denials? If my license is fully re-instated without restriction and the conviction is expunged do I still have to answer "yes" to the background questions.

Any information is much appreciated.

Re: Appointment Denied Due to Background- is There a Way to Appea

No attorney here, but I would have to say answer all questions correctly. You might be able to explain the weed, but lying is a different story.

I am probably going to get shot down here but here goes......

This is just another example of how crazy the US has become in terms of "verifying" every damn little thing in creation. It seems you cannot take a s@$t these days without someone wanting to know why......its all getting insane and the level of bureaucracy that goes with this is absurd.

If the state has run a background check, and they are prepared to issue you a license where is the issue?

My bigger question is where do you plan on getting E&O?

E&O was no problem- not even rated up for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am probably going to get shot down here but here goes......

This is just another example of how crazy the US has become in terms of "verifying" every damn little thing in creation. It seems you cannot take a s@ these days without someone wanting to know why......its all getting insane and the level of bureaucracy that goes with this is absurd.

If the state has run a background check, and they are prepared to issue you a license where is the issue?

Agreed! I had my license before, Ca. "restricted" it which, really, means nothing, you're still allowed to transact insurance, they lifted the restriction, conviction is fully expunged, convictiono has NOTHING to do with dishonesty, forgery, fraud etc. Not sure why our friend at AIG and Aviva would deny appointment when other life insurers do not...

Last edited:

I see this often. Always tell the truth and just explain to them what happened.

I'm sure I can find a company that will take you if you can't find one.

I have been denied appointment to a couple life insurance companies due to a felony marijuana conviction in 2006 that is now fully expunged.

Is there a way to appeal these denials? If my license is fully re-instated without restriction and the conviction is expunged do I still have to answer "yes" to the background questions.

Any information is much appreciated.

Expunge means to obliterate or remove completely.

I'm sure you had an attorney handle that for you. I think my first call would be to him and ask him the question. If it has been obliterated and or removed completely then in theory there is no written record of it.

Was it expunged before or after you were turned down by the life insurance companies?

Expunge means to obliterate or remove completely.

I'm sure you had an attorney handle that for you. I think my first call would be to him and ask him the question. If it has been obliterated and or removed completely then in theory there is no written record of it.

Was it expunged before or after you were turned down by the life insurance companies?

It isn't quite that easy. I haven't read the appointment paperwork quite this closely, but there are numerous forms that require you to disclose, even if expunged. Failure to disclose leaves you open to whatever remedy they care to impose under the contract.

Frank is right. If it's expunged, then the answer is No. The incident never happened and never needs to be claimed, because it doesn't exist.

Again, read the contract. If it says to include expunged, and you fail to do so, you were not truthful on the application.

I've seen several forms from the government that say to do so, failure to do so there is a felony.

Back