This Bad Weather and Storm Makes Me Think of Insurance.

is a tornado covered under home or auto policy? or is it a special policy like earthquake insurance?

If the tornado destroys a home it is homeowners coverage. If it destroys a car it is is the auto policy unless it is parked in the garage and then I don't know which it is.

I spent the evening in right in the middle of where it just wipe out everything.

I will try and put up more some videos up here later, so you can see how bad it really was.

A little girl made me cry. She watched her father get taken by straight up in the sky. They are still looking for him. At least his body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, I'm here in Ga too- north Atlanta, though, & we got spared for the most part. Pretty crazy. A friend was working the hospital in Chattanooga yesterday and they had several infants there with no parents from Ringold which got hit pretty hard. Heartbreaking.
I heard on the news some of the insurance comanies were considering the tornadoes "acts of god" to deny claims. I'm not a P&C guy, but damn, that would suck.

Ringgold (N. GA) had an EF4 tornado, 175 MPH winds. Very rare for the south.

As bad as it is here, AL got it worse. 200 dead vs about 10 here.

Property damage in both states in the millions.

Question - how are carriers set up to handle mass claims like this? How can, for example, State Farm even begin to process all the auto and home claims?

When I was in FL & got hit with a hurricane, the insurance companies set up nearby in hotels to handle all the claims. I was working at one of the hotels then. The insurance companies made the reservations a few days in advance of the storm. I know that doesn't work with tornadoes. But they might do something similar.

I mean, it's just insane when you think about it. If there's no home there's also no way to receive mail. These poor people have to set up a PO Box just to start receiving their mail again - or maybe their local post office simply holds all of their mail.

We have Obamacare. Might as well take the next step to Obamahomeowners.

Free HO insurance for everyone.

No deductible. No coinsurance. No claims to file or adjusters to deal with.

Just file a claim and wait on your check.

While you are waiting Obama will send you a pre-loaded debit card to cover your expenses.

Oh wait. They did this following Katrina.

Well there certainly weren't any problems with that, were there?

Question - how are carriers set up to handle mass claims like this? How can, for example, State Farm even begin to process all the auto and home claims?

It's inefficeint for the insurance company to have enough adjusters on the payroll all the time, so they hire out contractors as needed. I have a few buddies that are always traveling to the latest part of the nation to get struck by a storm. Although it's mostly hail damage claims.

Back