Best Agents To Give Advice

FE posters are extremely "cliquish". If you don't sell FE and you try to give some ideas - even though you disclose that you don't sell FE - it's automatically discounted as wrong and you're asked to prove your production to prove your expertise.

I don't get that kind of treatment in the P&C or any other area of the forum. And I've never sold P&C, even though I contribute some cold-calling and cross-selling ideas from time to time.

Every post is up to the reader to determine if it suits them or not. I'm not responsible for anyone's actions or inactions on my ideas.

In essence, this thread is really saying "DHK, stay out of our sandbox."

Message received.

DHK, the real agents of this forum know that you are exactly right.

4 different agents said to work aged FE leads if you had bought them already, including 3 mentioned on this thread.
But when I shared that aged leads work very well for Term, and I even put the disclaimer that "it may not be true for FE". My advice was called BS & Crap, & was basically told to go to a different forum.

Now why is it ok for other FE agents to say an aged lead is ok to work, but it isnt ok for non-FE agents to say the same thing?? We all know the answer to that...

But those same agents who do not want non-FE agents to post in the FE section, have no problem posting their advice in the non-FE sections....

And yes, this thread was most definitely directed at you, and to a lesser extent probably me.

The sad truth is that this whole site is quickly becoming the FE forum and not much else.

Ive spoken to multiple agents who are extremely respected in this industry; Top of the Table producers, agents published on L&H Pro/insurance new/benefits pro/marketwatch/etc. When I ask them why they are not members on the forum it is because many of them do not see the forum as a positive thing for the image of the insurance industry.

The forum has already lost some really great members due to the bashing and unprofessionalism of a certain clique of members. But an even larger amount have just never bothered to join.

Now I already know that the members we are talking about could care less...
I also know that I will get bashed for making these comments by those very members... oh well. :1rolleyes:

Last edited:
You presented something different than the norm so you were were asked how well your different idea worked.
[...]
Bottom line, no one "discounted" your idea. You were simply asked how well your idea worked.

Let's go to the video-tape, shall we?

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...m/door-knocking-delima-t73579.html#post982357

Post #42 - I give an idea and fully disclose that it may not work for FE sales, but gave it anyway.

Post #43 - "How does this work out for you selling FE?"

Post #48 - I again disclose that I don't sell FE.

Post #50 - Accused of giving advice in an area that I have "no experience with".

Post #52 - "What's your average AP? What products have you sold door-knocking?"

Anyway... look, if you're not open to new ideas, you don't have to accept anything that anyone else says.

Here's the thing: in California, and I would also presume New York and Florida, more people are being bombarded with all kinds of solicitations all the time.

Your first job is to get someone to LISTEN to you... so my method is to get them to relax and feel comfortable in listening to you. In fact, the post above mine was looking for an idea to help people be more comfortable with him coming to the door... so my method fit his problem and question. Since he gave my post a "thumbs up" and didn't respond further in the thread, I can presume he was happy with it.

However, everyone thinks they're an expert too... so they jump down my throat asking how well does it work. If I told you that I generated $xxx,000... you'll say "prove it". I don't want to and I don't have to.

Also, as I read some of the other threads in the FE forum - as they like to berate anyone that skips an appointment, I have to assume that you guys HATE dealing with people. You send nasty letters and plot other things. Yeah, it may feel good to blow off some steam... but I wouldn't actually SEND those letters. One or more of you actually do.

I'm sure you just don't like the time-wasters. I don't blame you, but I wouldn't actually spread that message around. Everything you write is part of your "brand". My brand is that I'm a nice guy, who is serious about helping others. By helping others, it helps me help myself to keep me sharp. I enjoy answering questions - usually.

The threads in the FE forum are geared towards how you sell to people on government assistance and welfare. You are quick to dismiss people because your time is valuable. I can understand that. I also understand that you have CHOSEN to work with these people. No one has forced anyone to say "You have to sell FE to people on the government dole."

That is not my market... but sales is sales. Sales is understanding people. Even John Savage said "Knowledge of your product never was and never will be worth more than 5% of your sale. Knowledge of people - 95%. And if you ain't got that straight, you've got nothing straight."

I'll help with an idea or two where I can. Why? Because this business is tough and people need a little help. The business of being an insurance agent - ANY AGENT - is to create and form relationships. If I can help you to do that, great. If you don't like it... fine. If you think you can't be a nice guy and succeed... fine. I choose not to believe that.

DHK, the real agents of this forum know that you are exactly right. 4 different agents said to work aged FE leads if you had bought them already, including 3 mentioned on this thread. But when I shared that aged leads work very well for Term, and I even put the disclaimer that "it may not be true for FE". My advice was called BS & Crap, & was basically told to go to a different forum. Now why is it ok for other FE agents to say an aged lead is ok to work but it isnt ok for non FE agents to say the same thing?? We all know the answer to that... But those same agents who do not want non-FE agents to post in the FE section, have no problem posting their advice in the non-FE sections.... And yes, this thread was most definitely directed at you, and to a lesser extent probably me. The sad truth is that this whole site is quickly becoming the FE forum and not much else. Ive spoken to multiple agents who are extremely respected in this industry; Top of the Table producers, agents published on L&H Pro/insurance new/benefits pro/marketwatch/etc. When I ask them why they are not members on the forum it is because many of them do not see the forum as a positive thing for the image of the insurance industry. The forum has already lost some really great members due to the bashing and unprofessionalism of a certain clique of members. But an even larger amount have just never bothered to join. Now I already know that the members we are talking about could care less... I also know that I will get bashed for making these comments by those very members... oh well. :1rolleyes:

In my opinion (please note I said opinion to all you FE agents), most FE agents are a special breed. They remind me of a bunch of high school boys (forgive me ladies if you're an FE agent) trying to one up each other. You know "my d*ck is bigger than yours" or "I've been with more girls than you". It's as if they are constantly trying to prove they are better than anyone and everyone.

As I said, this is my opinion and it's based solely on the comments from FE agents on this forum. And as you know, perception is reality and the above is my perception of FE agents.

Let the flaming begin.

In my opinion (please note I said opinion to all you FE agents), most FE agents are a special breed. They remind me of a bunch of high school boys (forgive me ladies if you're an FE agent) trying to one up each other. You know "my d*ck is bigger than yours" or "I've been with more girls than you". It's as if they are constantly trying to prove they are better than anyone and everyone.

As I said, this is my opinion and it's based solely on the comments from FE agents on this forum. And as you know, perception is reality and the above is my perception of FE agents.

Let the flaming begin.

I have a lot of respect for a few of the FE agents on this forum. And they know who they are.
There are even a few newer ones that seem like decent guys.

But unfortunately the majority pretty much fit your comments.
They dont care what the industry thinks of them.
They dont care about the industry period.
They dont care about their clients. (a few exceptions there like JD)
They dont care about the regulators.
They dont care about public perception of them or the insurance industry.

Like my last post, Im sure those very same FE agents will bash me for saying this. Of course that only gives more credibility to my statements.

Last edited:
OK, Dang it, I will play

Crotchety old man - Rick the ....

Oh and thanks for lunch yesterday. And the autograph picture. took away the hick ups I did not even have.

The sad truth is that this whole site is quickly becoming the FE forum and not much else.

Ive spoken to multiple agents who are extremely respected in this industry; Top of the Table producers, agents published on L&H Pro/insurance new/benefits pro/marketwatch/etc. When I ask them why they are not members on the forum it is because many of them do not see the forum as a positive thing for the image of the insurance industry.

The forum has already lost some really great members due to the bashing and unprofessionalism of a certain clique of members. But an even larger amount have just never bothered to join.

Now I already know that the members we are talking about could care less...
I also know that I will get bashed for making these comments by those very members... oh well. :1rolleyes:

Agreed. And when we get NEW posters who come on here... are they necessarily asking about FE? Not always, but there are a few.

Many of them are looking for advice regarding Mutual companies - NYL, Mass, Guardian, Met Life, etc... and there are very few people who can help answer those questions, as well as guide them through the interview process so they don't have any surprises. (Of course, then you have some that don't have any idea of how to make a decision - DavidHill76 was one such poster.)

And then we get consumers on here asking questions about insurance... and that's a whole other ball of wax. I generally choose to ignore them, or comment lightly while referring back to their agent.

I'm a civil person. It's my nature. I like to be helpful. But I don't like my integrity questioned.

On a public forum, you get what you pay for. There is another forum where you can pay $10/month for what you get, but we'll ignore that one right now. But everyone here should ALWAYS suspect what they are told.

I have always believed that there are as many ways to succeed in this business... as there are lines on a sheet of notebook paper.

There is also one surefire way to guarantee your failure: Don't talk to anybody about anything.

Agreed. And when we get NEW posters who come on here... are they necessarily asking about FE? Not always, but there are a few.

Many of them are looking for advice regarding Mutual companies - NYL, Mass, Guardian, Met Life, etc... and there are very few people who can help answer those questions, as well as guide them through the interview process so they don't have any surprises. (Of course, then you have some that don't have any idea of how to make a decision - DavidHill76 was one such poster.)

And then we get consumers on here asking questions about insurance... and that's a whole other ball of wax. I generally choose to ignore them, or comment lightly while referring back to their agent.

I'm a civil person. It's my nature. I like to be helpful. But I don't like my integrity questioned.

On a public forum, you get what you pay for. There is another forum where you can pay $10/month for what you get, but we'll ignore that one right now. But everyone here should ALWAYS suspect what they are told.

I have always believed that there are as many ways to succeed in this business... as there are lines on a sheet of notebook paper.

There is also one surefire way to guarantee your failure: Don't talk to anybody about anything.

Agreed. You and I do not see eye to eye about everything. But we have always remained civil and professional. We have never called each others advice "crap" or "bs". I could say the same for many others around here.

I never realized how many consumers actually read this site until I had website links in my signature. And some of the comments I received from them about their perception of the forum overall... & how that has affected their perception of the insurance industry overall, pretty much made me sick. The term "deadbeats" was used by more than one consumer to describe how they felt about most of the agents on the forum. A few asked me why I would want to associate myself with a website that makes agents look so bad...

I am not currently running my annuity site, but I took it off of my signature even before I suspended the hosting for it. I just couldnt publicly associate myself with the forum anymore. People around here still know who I am (the ones I choose to), & you could dig through 4k posts and find a few that could possibly identify me. But I no longer have a link to my info or websites after every post. Like a long time Top of the Table agent said to me recently; "why would I associate myself with something that makes the life insurance industry look so bad?"

Agreed. You and I do not see eye to eye about everything. But we have always remained civil and professional. We have never called each others advice "crap" or "bs". I could say the same for many others around here.

I never realized how many consumers actually read this site until I had website links in my signature. And some of the comments I received from them about their perception of the forum overall... & how that has affected their perception of the insurance industry overall, pretty much made me sick. The term "deadbeats" was used by more than one consumer to describe how they felt about most of the agents on the forum. A few asked me why I would want to associate myself with a website that makes agents look so bad...

I am not currently running my annuity site, but I took it off of my signature even before I suspended the hosting for it. I just couldnt publicly associate myself with the forum anymore. People around here still know who I am (the ones I choose to), & you could dig through 4k posts and find a few that could possibly identify me. But I no longer have a link to my info or websites after every post. Like a long time Top of the Table agent said to me recently; "why would I associate myself with something that makes the life insurance industry look so bad?"

The other way to interpret that information... is that it's easy to stand out when the general level of competency (and manners) are so low. More prospects & followers for us... compared to others.

In short - "Who you are speaks so loudly, your words I cannot hear." The real question is: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's not as much about the forum as it is about what YOU contribute. I'm willing to bet that if I wanted to start recruiting agents... it wouldn't be hard to do using this forum and the content I've posted. If I wanted to be licensed in more states, it wouldn't be hard to attract new prospects using this forum and the content I've contributed.

That's part of the reason why I decided to go ahead and post my profile picture and my facebook page. I finally figured "why not?" I (generally) don't post anything stupid or anything that I would be embarrassed to explain later. I'm also no longer affiliated with a B/D... so there's no FINRA repercussions either.

Also, when I'm wrong, I admit it. Just like when it was pointed out regarding state laws and calling yourself a financial advisor... I quickly admitted that I was incorrect and to check with your own state.

I've helped a few agents via Facebook and LinkedIn. They're appreciative of the ideas that I give them.

What goes around, comes around.

Back