A Bit of Fun - 10 Celebrities Who Worked In The Insurance Industry Before Making It Big

Aaron_4SIGHT

Guru
100+ Post Club
Interesting to know some of these folks have worked in the industry. I can definitely see how it can develop skills for these folks that would otherwise be likely untapped.

Here's a quote from Clooney from a recent interview regarding his insurance job:

“I was a struggling actor for ten years and I have a great understanding of what it’s like to try to make things work...I would buy suits that were too long in the leg, cut the bottoms off and hem them up with a stapler, and use the leftover fabric to make ties for work…I sold insurance door to door — cold calls, knock knock, “Hi, do you have whole life insurance? We can turn whole life into term life and you can put the rest of your money into your retirement fund!” Believe me, it’s a terrible job.”

And a little context form the GQ piece that included the quote:
Before George Clooney was an uber-famous movie star married to a stunning international human rights lawyer with an 18th century villa on Lake Como, he was just a guy trying to sell life insurance in Kentucky. Clooney himself pointed that out to a Daily Mail reporter during press interviews for his new movie Suburbicon (he's directing) this week. The subject came up when Clooney expressed a desire to not spoil the living daylight out of his twins, who were born in June.

Well, yeah, I guess door-knocking would seem like a terrible job compared to being one of the biggest movie stars on the planet
:idea:

https://www.gq.com/story/george-clooney-diy-suit-tailoring-custom-ties

Not sure what it is about football players and insurance, but here are a few more players that went from football to selling insurance:

Lincoln Kennedy, a three-time Pro-Bowler and player in Super Bowl XXXVII
Ex-NFL quarterback Tommy Maddox, a first round draft pick in 1992
Emmett Johnson, former wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks
Dennis Havig, played in the NFL for 5 years

Back