Business Splitting / Commission Splitting Question

sgriswold

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I run an insurance agency, and have a couple agents as 1099 contractors.

My contract with these agents addresses direct referrals - if they have a piece of business they can't / won't write themselves, they can give it to me for a 30/70 split. (I write, administer, and maintain it in this case - basically 30% for feeding us a lead. No work on their part.)

However, I've run into an interesting exception. One of my agents introduced me to a friend of his whose company (call it "X Corp") is working on a large project for an association and wants me to get involved. This is generating a lot of potential business as follows:

(1) Work directly involving said large project - e.g. insurance for the association itself. I am treating this as direct referral business.

(2) Secondary work involving association members (i.e. referrals from the association - this is the bulk of where new business will come from)

(3) Side referrals from X Corp for their other clients not discussed in the original meeting

Note: Said agent specified he wants to write some of the business directly, but apparently our contacts at X Corp and the association stated they'd prefer to work with me directly. This further complicates things.

I am unsure how to fairly split business for #2 and #3. In these cases the agent's referral source is opting to refer directly to me (bypassing the agent) and it is not an insignificant amount of business. However, I have no intention of cutting him out of the deal because this revenue stream would not exist if it wasn't for the introduction. My concern is that giving him 30% of all this business for making one introduction to a secondary referral source seems excessive.

Agency Owners - how would you handle this?

Sales people - what would consider most fair?

I run an insurance agency, and have a couple agents as 1099 contractors.

My contract with these agents addresses direct referrals - if they have a piece of business they can't / won't write themselves, they can give it to me for a 30/70 split. (I write, administer, and maintain it in this case - basically 30% for feeding us a lead. No work on their part.)

However, I've run into an interesting exception. One of my agents introduced me to a friend of his whose company (call it "X Corp") is working on a large project for an association and wants me to get involved. This is generating a lot of potential business as follows:

(1) Work directly involving said large project - e.g. insurance for the association itself. I am treating this as direct referral business.

(2) Secondary work involving association members (i.e. referrals from the association - this is the bulk of where new business will come from)

(3) Side referrals from X Corp for their other clients not discussed in the original meeting

Note: Said agent specified he wants to write some of the business directly, but apparently our contacts at X Corp and the association stated they'd prefer to work with me directly. This further complicates things.

I am unsure how to fairly split business for #2 and #3. In these cases the agent's referral source is opting to refer directly to me (bypassing the agent) and it is not an insignificant amount of business. However, I have no intention of cutting him out of the deal because this revenue stream would not exist if it wasn't for the introduction. My concern is that giving him 30% of all this business for making one introduction to a secondary referral source seems excessive.

Agency Owners - how would you handle this?

Sales people - what would consider most fair?

You said it is not an insignificant amount of business. This is probably what is making it harder for you. You had a deal with the agent to pay 30% for all business he referred. This is all business resulting from his referral. He should get a 30% cut. I would honor the deal.

I have found it very difficult to split commissions on referrals from a case I worked jointly unless the agent is going to make some contribution. I do understand that I wouldn't have the opportunity without the initial contact, just hard for me to continue a similar split on referrals, what about referrals from the referrals? To keep a good relationship discuss this upfront before you get involved.

This. Do you really want to get a reputation for not honoring your agreements?

Which is more important to you, honoring your agreement or being greedy. Remember, what goes around, comes around. If I were the agent and you decided to change the deal after handing you a big bone, I would pack my stuff and hit the road and look for an honest agency. I've been screwed by owners in my lifetime and they are out of business. Think about it.

I'd put him to work on all the grunt type aspects of this deal as these are now secondary sales. I would pay him the split, but he would contribute to the continued process, even if it is running illustrations.

Have you ever heard of the saying " Pigs get fed....HOGS get slaughtered"? I would honor the 30% that was origianly agreed upon, if it wasn't for the initial intro you wouldnt be getting these other cases

Back